14' Lone Star Repairs

64osby

Admiral
I was able to trade my 12' Sea King tinny for this 1963 14' Big Fisherman Lone Star.PA200517.jpgIt has a couple issues that I'm looking for advice on how to repair.#1 the corner cap has a wear gouge in it. It looks like it's still structurally ok, so far. It has a pretty sharp edge and I want to clean it up. Options I've consideredA - cap it with some sheet aluminum B -look at having weldedC - JB WeldD - replacement cap?Lonestar (5).jpg#2 - The rail has a couple chunks taken out of it and a partial crack, Options I've consideredE - form a cap out maybe 18" long of some thick extruded material and fasten it F - cut out the damaged horizontal portion and have a matching a piece welded inG - other suggestions?Lonestar (8).jpgLonestar (6).jpg#3 - At one point I believe there were handles between the seat support brackets above the seat. There are two holes. Does anyone have information about or pictures of the handles? I would like to install some, they don't need to be a match to the originals but I would like to know what they had to begin with.H - I have some 1/2" round Alum thick wall tube stock that could be tapped on both sides and bolted in place. It could also be bent to form an arc which might make it easier to grip if needed.PA200514.jpgLeak test will come soon, hopefully it will be ok, the PO stated it did not leak.Paint next year, rustoleum w/ hardener most likely.Any input is welcome.

Edit 2-10-12 Link to photobucket pictures
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p605/62iia/Lone Star 14 Big Fisherman 1963/

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 14' Lone Star Repairs

I have some 1/2" round Alum thick wall tube stock that could be tapped on both sides and bolted in place. It could also be bent to form an arc which might make it easier to grip if needed.

Ayuh,... Rip a slot in it on a tablesaw, 'n fit it to the inside of the gunnel, tack weldin' every foot or so, stem to stern....
'ell, 1/2" aluminum conduit would be perfect....

64osby

Admiral

Ayuh,... Rip a slot in it on a tablesaw, 'n fit it to the inside of the gunnel, tack weldin' every foot or so, stem to stern....
'ell, 1/2" aluminum conduit would be perfect....

Hey Bond-o the place I was talking about with the tubing / handles would be as pictured here.
Lonestar (10).jpg

I'm pretty dense at times and I don't understand what the 1/2" conduit would do for me.
Are you looking at issue #2 or #3:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm seein' yer problem in this picture... Those are a big wound...
attachment.php

Rippin' the aluminum conduit, 'n fitting it to the sharp edge facin' inside the boat would heal the wound, 'n give a grab handle the length of the hull...
It could even be tied into the worn bow brace...

pieces fit to the sides of the seat is a good lookin' idea too...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So it is a Lone Star BIG FISHERMAN! Cool!
The top rails do have some chunks out of them. I think Bond-o's idea is spot on. Do you have enough to cover from the bow to the stern on both sides so it matches? The corner cap is a weld job or replacement. There may be some flex there or got stepped on and broke. No idea on the seat support handles. But heck, if you want them go for it. Good luck on the leak test.

64osby

Admiral

I found a solution to my corner cap problem. A couple very nice Starcraft corners and a bonus - three Golden Eye products cleats.

Had to layout a whopping $6.00 for everything.

I've never seen cleats like this, I think there are pretty cool, hoping it makes a easy way to tie off the anchor.

The Starcraft corners should fit great and I'll end up with a Lone * Star-craft Tinny
Prairie Ronde-20111031-00137.jpgPrairie Ronde-20111031-00138.jpg

64osby

Admiral

I picked up a 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp for this and have been pulling it apart. Waiting to some parts for the motor and I thought I would look at the boat.

Getting inside was tight, 1" to spare.
LS Into Building.jpg

The transom end cap was the first issue to address. Trimmed the original damaged cap back to allow the replacement cap to fit. I wanted to leave as much of the original cap as possible for corner strength, the original is attached with 8 rivets and I didn't want to remove the rivets. The newer cap mounts with 3 bolts and it's a pretty good fit.
LS Transom cap mod.jpgLS Transom cap new.jpg

When I drilled into the transom wood it didn't feel quite right, the drill zipped right through the wood.

So, .........................yes you know what's next, ....................................out with the old.
12 truss head MS, 5 were clean and came out, the other 7 had been broken off and hammered. All out and a little bending of the attachment brackets, and the transom is out.
LS Transom Removal.jpgLS Transom Rebuild 2.jpg

64osby

Admiral

The transom looked ok to me, but I'm really glad it was pulled. Putting the 18 Fastwin on it will be maxing out the HP rating for the boat, so a new transom is a good thing.

Here's some pics of the 48 year old wood. It was still very solid on the exposed face, but the upper corners were rotting out. I took a real hard look at the old plywood. It is 1 1/4" thick and it appears to be one piece, not 2 pieces spliced together.

LS Transom old 1.jpgLS Transom old 2.jpgLS Transom old 3.jpgLS Transom old 4.jpg

Last edited:

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

hawthorne-weekly 016.jpgvery cool- It will always be a LONESTAR no matter how many parts you replace- espcialy ones with stars on them!
i had to make a transome for my old LoneStar--glued & screwed 3 layers on 3/4" marine plywood and had to route the ends to 1 1/4"- it lasted 18 years. but was hanging a 115hp Evinrude off of it!:D

64osby

Admiral

After the transom was pulled I started to look at how beat up this Lone*Star really is, and how ugly the paint is.

I started playing around with a drill and a course wire wheel.
LS Paint Transom old.jpg

A quick trip to the hardware store, picking up a couple of fine wire wheels. One hour later, using light pressure with the course and then going back over it with the fine. Using a cup style fine wheel you can make a swirl pattern. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, Blackberry's and low light don't work.
LS Transom Paint Stripped.jpg

But it didn't stop there. The drill just would stop and before i knew it I was working down the side of the tinny.

This boat has tons of deep scratches and and quite a bit of dock rash. One of the PO's must not have known about bumpers or old tires.
LS Paint strip 1.jpg LS Paint strip 2.jpg

Now I need to figure out if this is going to get a paint job or maybe stay shiny.

64osby

Admiral

View attachment 127693very cool- It will always be a LONESTAR no matter how many parts you replace- espcialy ones with stars on them!
i had to make a transome for my old LoneStar--glued & screwed 3 layers on 3/4" marine plywood and had to route the ends to 1 1/4"- it lasted 18 years. but was hanging a 115hp Evinrude off of it!:D

It looks like you might have to replace it again:eek:. The Starcraft caps do add some class to the Lone Star, and I noticed a guy from Texas would be the first to notice.;)

GA_Boater

Nah, 64. It's gonna be a Lone Craft because it will be unique after you're done. Besides StarStar sounds dumb. LOL She's cleaning up nice. Good to see you on her again.

64osby

Admiral

Nah, 64. It's gonna be a Lone Craft because it will be unique after you're done. Besides StarStar sounds dumb. LOL She's cleaning up nice. Good to see you on her again.

Had to get a few things taken care of getting ready for winter, although it was 50 here today, :confused: After the holidays is a good time to get back on it, good thing it fit in the doors, I wouldn't be doing this outside if it was freezing.

StarStar sure does sound dumb:D but does that mean it's an SS, oh never mind.

GA_Boater

Almost everyone has an SS. At least looking at the resto log.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like Bond-o's suggestion to slot some conduit and tack it across the edges.

Another option would be to fit some replacement pieces into the worn area and have them welded in. That looks pretty thick so it shouldn't be too hard to weld, and once you dress it down it would be almost impossible to see the repair. You could fit it all up at home and just trailer it to a local welder to put them in. The original corner pieces could be done the same way.

kfa4303

Banned

Where can you get the aluminum conduit in fairly long lengths? I've seen the (galvanized?) emt, electrical conduit at the big box stores, but I don't recall seeing aluminum. Do they sell that sort of thing, or would you have to contact a distributor of some sort? Thanks.

64osby

Admiral

I like Bond-o's suggestion to slot some conduit and tack it across the edges.

Another option would be to fit some replacement pieces into the worn area and have them welded in. That looks pretty thick so it shouldn't be too hard to weld, and once you dress it down it would be almost impossible to see the repair. You could fit it all up at home and just trailer it to a local welder to put them in. The original corner pieces could be done the same way.

Found a guy that will weld in new pieces for $50.00, with my materials. A little time fabbing them up, but the result will should be good.

I like new Starcraft corners and will be using them.

64osby

Admiral

Where can you get the aluminum conduit in fairly long lengths? I've seen the (galvanized?) emt, electrical conduit at the big box stores, but I don't recall seeing aluminum. Do they sell that sort of thing, or would you have to contact a distributor of some sort? Thanks.

Dig around for a distributor, here in MI, Alro Steel has lots of options in Aluminum.

64osby

Admiral

Slow and steady work on the Tinny. Getting the paint off the hull, cutting a new transom and prep work to repair the broken/cracked rail.

The chicken or the egg dabate has been running through my head on the cracked rail. The gunnel flexes where the break is and the seat boxes on that side have come loose.

GEDC0017.JPGGEDC0016.JPG

The boat was flexing outward over an inch, attached a strap and pulled it together, added rivets in the good open holes and then drilled out the rest of the bad rivets. Added some backing plates and some extra rivets. Made it nice and solid.
GEDC0030.JPGGEDC0029.JPG

64osby

Admiral

I mentioned before that I found someone who would weld the gunnel, so I spent a little time fabbing up some pieces to fill in the breaks.

Here is the damage. The gunnel is cracked all the way on the LH gouge
Lonestar (6).jpg

Using some scrap extrusion that is about a 1/4" thick, pieces were formed to fill the breaks. A sawzall, grinder and a file were the tools of choice because that's all I had.
GEDC0033.JPGGEDC0032.JPG

Next dry day she's off to to be mended.