14' Lone Star Repairs

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 14' Lone Star Repairs

The patches should be good to go, 64. Does it look like the missing chunks were man-made?

Bondo

Staff member

I mentioned before that I found someone who would weld the gunnel, so I spent a little time fabbing up some pieces to fill in the breaks.

Here is the damage. The gunnel is cracked all the way on the LH gouge
View attachment 128968

Using some scrap extrusion that is about a 1/4" thick, pieces were formed to fill the breaks. A sawzall, grinder and a file were the tools of choice because that's all I had.
View attachment 128966View attachment 128967

Next dry day she's off to to be mended.

Ayuh,.... That's a High stress area,.... especially on an over powered hull....

Even with yer repair, I think you should consider my conduit idea....

A 10' chunk of conduit on each gunnel would look "Pleasing", 'n add Alota strength...
Yer Welder Guy could tack it on, it's full length...

64osby

Admiral

The patches should be good to go, 64. Does it look like the missing chunks were man-made?

I would say these were man made or a small act of god. I'll be posting some picks of all the gouges and rash that this tinny has. Those who owned this over the years either used it hard or treated it like s#!t, or both.

Ayuh,.... That's a High stress area,.... especially on an over powered hull....

Even with yer repair, I think you should consider my conduit idea....

A 10' chunk of conduit on each gunnel would look "Pleasing", 'n add Alota strength...
Yer Welder Guy could tack it on, it's full length...

I hear ya Bond-o, but I'm going to start with this repair and see how it works. Getting the seat boxes securely riveted has strengthened the area. The seat supports are also riveted to the hull and extend up the side and under the gunnel rail. There is one brace right where the crack is.

In a year or two you might see a post of another repair and if you do, you can be the first to say "I told you so, see post #4 and #22", and I'll take it like a man, kicking and screaming as I take the boat back to the welder.

"Over powered hull" ??? Boat is rated up to 18hp and that's what going on it, with a nice new douglas fir transom and some extra aluminum support, or a jack plate. TBD

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Good Luck with it,... It was yer allusion to bein' the upper limits of the hp ratin' I was refering too...

I'd think that crack, 'n damage lead to the seat braces failin',...
Hopefully, yer plan'll work out Ok,...
With it all fixed at once, it'll all support itself...

Otherwise, Ya, I'll gloat all over yer Next repair,....:D :D :D

64osby

Admiral

Mentioned the transom board earlier, Here is the old oneLS Transom old 1.jpg Pulled out a piece of 40+ year old bleacher wood 2x10, nice douglas fir, complete with ABC gum.LS Transom Wood.jpgCut, shape, trim, plane, sand, temp install, predrill holes, remove and oversize holes, 1st coat of spar urethane is on.LS Transom 1st coat.JPG

64osby

Admiral

Been slowly getting the paint off, still using the wire wheel method. Don't have access to a hose at the building, so stripper is out. Just a couple pics of the war wounds. Trying to see if a swirl pattern might help hide the scars.LS hull prep (2).JPGLS hull prep (1).JPGLS hull prep (3).JPGLS hull prep (5).JPGLS hull prep (6).JPG

GA_Boater

Re: 14' Lone Star Repairs, Need Advice

I like the pattern in the last two pics. Looks like engine turning.

64osby

Admiral

I like the pattern in the last two pics. Looks like engine turning.
It was suggested to me by someone that saw the boat. He said it reminded him of fish scales.I've been testing it out, trying to get a good pattern. If it can be done, looks like a Sharkhide finish might be in the works.

GA_Boater

It was suggested to me by someone that saw the boat. He said it reminded him of fish scales.

I've been testing it out, trying to get a good pattern. If it can be done, looks like a Sharkhide finish might be in the works.

Yeah - fish scales. Its hard to do free hand but it seems you have the knack.

64osby

Admiral

Pick the boat up from the welder. Here are the before.....Lonestar (8).jpg

And after.... LS Gunnel Repair 4.JPG LS Gunnel Repair 3.JPG LS Gunnel Repair 2.JPG

64osby

Admiral

I'm back to removing paint. One of the things I noticed is a caulk like substance where the panels meet. Some areas have it, others don't. Comes and goes along the seam. It is old and was painted over. Removes very easy.

LS hull prep.JPG

I have not done a leak test yet. I'm wondering if this was original or added to help keep the boat dry.

Should I be looking to refill this seam? If yes thoughts on what to use. Keep in mind this boat is not going to get paint at the seam area, at least not right now.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend removing all of it and then applying Gluvit or Coat-It.

kfa4303

Banned

Ditto. Looks like someone did a Mickey Mouse job of trying to stop a leak by using housing caulk on the outside of the hull. I would remove it all and clean up the interior seams to bare metal then apply the Gluvit. One quart should be plenty. It does need some UV protection, but if you're putting a floor in the boat it'll be fine. For anything inside the boat that you may want/need to "caulk" or seal use 3M 5200 marine caulk. It's great stuff. You can even get it at the big Box stores for about $7 for a toothpaste size tube. It has strong adhesive properties, is water proof, dries flexible and is paintable. It should be used on all through-hull fasteners as well. Be warned it's gloopy and strong!!!! Once that stuff cures what ever it's bonded too ain't coming up very easy. The normal version takes a few days to fully cure, but they do make a fast curing version too. All and all it's great stuff.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

KFA is correct about NO UV protection so If you are not going to paint th outside of the boat then you might want to take another route for sealing the seams of your boat.

GA_Boater

Hey 64 - the welded repairs came out great. I think I would do a leak test first. Some rivets might need re-bucked and Gluvit on the inside and painted over.

64osby

Admiral

This is on the exterior Bare Alum hull with Sharkhide, so UV's a plenty

I was thinking about gutter sealant and found this stuff

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136 There's a product data sheet in the spec. section. says for use immursed in water.

It's polyeurothane, I think 3M5200 is also, but this would be grey/aluminum color.

On a leak test, lake water is very hard here now, is filling the boat above the seam recommended?

GA_Boater

You don't want to fill it up. But what you can do is put some water in and roll the hull from side to side looking for drips. Or even roll it empty so one side is low enough so added water would cover the seam. Repeat for the other side. That should work, 64.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

According to the data sheet it bonds well to aluminum and is rated for water immersion. Hey, I'm all about experimenting with new stuff. Just be aware that if it fails you will have some "Do Over" It's your boat so, if you want to give it a try, I see nothing in the specs of the product that leads me to believe that it would be an outright failure.

I prefer testing for leaks by floating the boat, NOT filling it with water.

GA_Boater

But when the lake water is solid ice it won't leak so it's the second best way.