14' Lone Star Repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14' Lone Star Repairs

I was able to trade my 12' Sea King tinny for this 1963 14' Big Fisherman Lone Star.Click image for larger version

Name:	PA200517.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	7155973It has a couple issues that I'm looking for advice on how to repair.#1 the corner cap has a wear gouge in it. It looks like it's still structurally ok, so far. It has a pretty sharp edge and I want to clean it up. Options I've consideredA - cap it with some sheet aluminum B -look at having weldedC - JB WeldD - replacement cap?Click image for larger version

Name:	Lonestar (5).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	7155971#2 - The rail has a couple chunks taken out of it and a partial crack, Options I've consideredE - form a cap out maybe 18" long of some thick extruded material and fasten it F - cut out the damaged horizontal portion and have a matching a piece welded inG - other suggestions?Click image for larger version

Name:	Lonestar (8).jpg
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	7155970Click image for larger version

Name:	Lonestar (6).jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	7155972#3 - At one point I believe there were handles between the seat support brackets above the seat. There are two holes. Does anyone have information about or pictures of the handles? I would like to install some, they don't need to be a match to the originals but I would like to know what they had to begin with.H - I have some 1/2" round Alum thick wall tube stock that could be tapped on both sides and bolted in place. It could also be bent to form an arc which might make it easier to grip if needed.Click image for larger version

Name:	PA200514.jpg
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	7155974Leak test will come soon, hopefully it will be ok, the PO stated it did not leak.Paint next year, rustoleum w/ hardener most likely.Any input is welcome.

Edit 2-10-12 Link to photobucket pictures
    http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/...isherman 1963/
    Last edited by 64osby; February 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM. Reason: Edit Title, again 1-6-12, added photobucket link for pics

1973 Starcraft 21 Mariner ---------------- 1966 Lone Star Medallion II --------------- 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman

A Smart Phone is one that is Not in your hand when driving!

Re: 14' Lone Star Repairs

I have some 1/2" round Alum thick wall tube stock that could be tapped on both sides and bolted in place. It could also be bent to form an arc which might make it easier to grip if needed.
    Ayuh,... Rip a slot in it on a tablesaw, 'n fit it to the inside of the gunnel, tack weldin' every foot or so, stem to stern....
    'ell, 1/2" aluminum conduit would be perfect....

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
      Ayuh,... Rip a slot in it on a tablesaw, 'n fit it to the inside of the gunnel, tack weldin' every foot or so, stem to stern....
      'ell, 1/2" aluminum conduit would be perfect....
      Hey Bond-o the place I was talking about with the tubing / handles would be as pictured here.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Lonestar (10).jpg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	7017371

I'm pretty dense at times and I don't understand what the 1/2" conduit would do for me.
      Are you looking at issue #2 or #3

1973 Starcraft 21 Mariner ---------------- 1966 Lone Star Medallion II --------------- 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman

Comment

Ayuh,.... I'm seein' yer problem in this picture... Those are a big wound...

Rippin' the aluminum conduit, 'n fitting it to the sharp edge facin' inside the boat would heal the wound, 'n give a grab handle the length of the hull...
        It could even be tied into the worn bow brace...

pieces fit to the sides of the seat is a good lookin' idea too...

Comment

So it is a Lone Star BIG FISHERMAN! Cool!
          The top rails do have some chunks out of them. I think Bond-o's idea is spot on. Do you have enough to cover from the bow to the stern on both sides so it matches? The corner cap is a weld job or replacement. There may be some flex there or got stepped on and broke. No idea on the seat support handles. But heck, if you want them go for it. Good luck on the leak test.
          BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I found a solution to my corner cap problem. A couple very nice Starcraft corners and a bonus - three Golden Eye products cleats.

Had to layout a whopping $6.00 for everything.

I've never seen cleats like this, I think there are pretty cool, hoping it makes a easy way to tie off the anchor.

The Starcraft corners should fit great and I'll end up with a Lone * Star-craft Tinny

Name:	Prairie Ronde-20111031-00137.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	7017637Click image for larger version

Name:	Prairie Ronde-20111031-00138.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	7017638

Comment

I picked up a 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp for this and have been pulling it apart. Waiting to some parts for the motor and I thought I would look at the boat.

Getting inside was tight, 1" to spare.

Name:	LS Into Building.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	7023212

The transom end cap was the first issue to address. Trimmed the original damaged cap back to allow the replacement cap to fit. I wanted to leave as much of the original cap as possible for corner strength, the original is attached with 8 rivets and I didn't want to remove the rivets. The newer cap mounts with 3 bolts and it's a pretty good fit.

Name:	LS Transom cap mod.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	7023215Click image for larger version

Name:	LS Transom cap new.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	7023216

When I drilled into the transom wood it didn't feel quite right, the drill zipped right through the wood.

So, .........................yes you know what's next, ....................................out with the old.
              12 truss head MS, 5 were clean and came out, the other 7 had been broken off and hammered. All out and a little bending of the attachment brackets, and the transom is out.

Name:	LS Transom Removal.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	7023211Click image for larger version

Name:	LS Transom Rebuild 2.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	7023214

Comment

The transom looked ok to me, but I'm really glad it was pulled. Putting the 18 Fastwin on it will be maxing out the HP rating for the boat, so a new transom is a good thing.

Here's some pics of the 48 year old wood. It was still very solid on the exposed face, but the upper corners were rotting out. I took a real hard look at the old plywood. It is 1 1/4" thick and it appears to be one piece, not 2 pieces spliced together.

Name:	LS Transom old 1.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	7023223Click image for larger version

Name:	LS Transom old 2.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	7023224Click image for larger version

Name:	LS Transom old 3.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	7023225Click image for larger version

Name:	LS Transom old 4.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	7023226
                Last edited by 64osby; January 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM. Reason: paragraph spacing issues

Comment

Name:	hawthorne-weekly 016.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	7023231very cool- It will always be a LONESTAR no matter how many parts you replace- espcialy ones with stars on them!
                  i had to make a transome for my old LoneStar--glued & screwed 3 layers on 3/4" marine plywood and had to route the ends to 1 1/4"- it lasted 18 years. but was hanging a 115hp Evinrude off of it!
                  sigpic 1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
                  Living the Dream

Comment

After the transom was pulled I started to look at how beat up this Lone*Star really is, and how ugly the paint is.

I started playing around with a drill and a course wire wheel.

Name:	LS Paint Transom old.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	7023227

A quick trip to the hardware store, picking up a couple of fine wire wheels. One hour later, using light pressure with the course and then going back over it with the fine. Using a cup style fine wheel you can make a swirl pattern. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, Blackberry's and low light don't work.

Name:	LS Transom Paint Stripped.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	7023229

But it didn't stop there. The drill just would stop and before i knew it I was working down the side of the tinny.

This boat has tons of deep scratches and and quite a bit of dock rash. One of the PO's must not have known about bumpers or old tires.

Name:	LS Paint strip 1.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	7023228 Click image for larger version

Name:	LS Paint strip 2.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	7023230

Now I need to figure out if this is going to get a paint job or maybe stay shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by 26aftcab454 View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]127693[/ATTACH]very cool- It will always be a LONESTAR no matter how many parts you replace- espcialy ones with stars on them!
                      i had to make a transome for my old LoneStar--glued & screwed 3 layers on 3/4" marine plywood and had to route the ends to 1 1/4"- it lasted 18 years. but was hanging a 115hp Evinrude off of it!
                      It looks like you might have to replace it again. The Starcraft caps do add some class to the Lone Star, and I noticed a guy from Texas would be the first to notice.

Comment

Nah, 64. It's gonna be a Lone Craft because it will be unique after you're done. Besides StarStar sounds dumb. LOL She's cleaning up nice. Good to see you on her again.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
                          Nah, 64. It's gonna be a Lone Craft because it will be unique after you're done. Besides StarStar sounds dumb. LOL She's cleaning up nice. Good to see you on her again.
                          Had to get a few things taken care of getting ready for winter, although it was 50 here today, After the holidays is a good time to get back on it, good thing it fit in the doors, I wouldn't be doing this outside if it was freezing.

StarStar sure does sound dumb but does that mean it's an SS, oh never mind.

Comment

Almost everyone has an SS. At least looking at the resto log.

Comment

I like Bond-o's suggestion to slot some conduit and tack it across the edges.

Another option would be to fit some replacement pieces into the worn area and have them welded in. That looks pretty thick so it shouldn't be too hard to weld, and once you dress it down it would be almost impossible to see the repair. You could fit it all up at home and just trailer it to a local welder to put them in. The original corner pieces could be done the same way.
                              Big dreams, No cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed with a little bit of stupidity!

Comment

Working...
                              X