Proud new owners! '74 Starcraft Chieftain (I think :)

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all!
Here are a few pictures of the Starcraft we just bought.
The guy I bought it form said it was a 1974 22' Cruiser. But from looking at pictures on this forum, I think it might be a Starcraft Chieftain? I haven't been able to locate a build tag anywhere on it. It's supposed to be by the shifter/throttle, but I can't find it there. Maybe it was removed before? Not sure....
At any rate, very excited about owning a vintage Starcraft and getting it and my family in the water!
I had to pull the engine as the block was cracked, and I was getting water in the oil. So, it's being rebuilt in my garage :)
Eventually I will take out the floors and cuddy, and redo all the wood.
So for all you Starcraft lovers... are there some good resources out there on our boats, and makes/models, history, things like that?
There are some great restos going on here in iboats.com that I am trying to dig through.
Thanks for the great forum!

David Sexton
USCG
Kodiak, AK

Attachments

• 2011-09-08_13-11-21_145.jpg
    2011-09-08_13-11-21_145.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011-09-09_13-44-15_116.jpg
    2011-09-09_13-44-15_116.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011-09-13_17-46-11_614.jpg
    2011-09-13_17-46-11_614.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011-09-09_13-45-02_108.jpg
    2011-09-09_13-45-02_108.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011-09-12_18-07-36_141.jpg
    2011-09-12_18-07-36_141.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Proud new owners! '74 Starcraft Chieftain (I think :)

Very cool! I'd love an old Chieftain or Islander someday. I think the Islander's cabin is a little bigger than the Chieftain, at expense of open deck space in the stern, and I think yours looks like the Chieftain. But I'm no expert! :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

really nice boat.......good find.......too bad the motors toast....

looks like you have a little work to do on the interior.......do you have any place to work on it?.....its gotta be getting cold up there soon....

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very cool boat! Welcome to the Chieftain owners club, I picked up a '71 21' Chieftain a few months ago and have been slowing going through and making it beautiful again, wonderful boats in my opinion.

The build plate should be near the throttle/shift lever towards the bow, here's a picture of mine:

DSC_0018.JPG

Erik

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very cool! I'd love an old Chieftain or Islander someday. I think the Islander's cabin is a little bigger than the Chieftain, at expense of open deck space in the stern, and I think yours looks like the Chieftain. But I'm no expert! :D

I think it's the other way around with the Chieftain having the larger cabin, I'm only going off pictures if the Islander though, I've never actually seen one in the flesh ...err aluminum?

I think the Islander cuddy is shorter at least, though they do step down the floor from what I've seen so maybe they're comparable?

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a super cool boat so congrats on getting it.Youve pulled the engine and stuff and no pics? just messing with you though I love seeing the rebuilds on these in detail.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Starmada, sextondom. The links in the prior post are darned good resources for fix-up info. Good find and keep us posted on your progress. Hope you have a warm place to work. And thanks for keeping our waters safe.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I really see something like that being my next boat. Congrats on the purchase. Too bad it's an I/O :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat! Welcome to the Starmada. As mentioned, you've got a Chieftain. The Chiefs had larger cabins than the Islanders.

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all for the warm welcome!
My brother has had a few nice old boats, and I have to give him the credit for getting me involved :)
At any rate, I'm picking up the engine block from the engine shop tomorrow, so I'll try to get some pictures as I put it back together.
I believe the cuddy door is teak wood. Can it be restored and if so how? It really seems to fit the boat and its vintage, so I'd like to keep it if possible.
I also like the idea of a teak swim platform like ErikF mentioned! That would be really nice.
Well, I need to sign off, thanks again!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks all for the warm welcome!
My brother has had a few nice old boats, and I have to give him the credit for getting me involved :)
At any rate, I'm picking up the engine block from the engine shop tomorrow, so I'll try to get some pictures as I put it back together.
I believe the cuddy door is teak wood. Can it be restored and if so how? It really seems to fit the boat and its vintage, so I'd like to keep it if possible.
I also like the idea of a teak swim platform like ErikF mentioned! That would be really nice.
Well, I need to sign off, thanks again!

Light sanding, a buncha teak oil should shine it right up.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking Chieftain! They are great old boats and easy to work on. Lots of great info here to help you out.

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice

Well, for an update:
Picked up the new/used bare engine block from the machine shop. They mag checked it, hot tanked and installed new brass freeze plugs and cam bearings, bored .030 and honed. Waiting on the rebuild kit now to show up in the mail with new pistons, rings & bearings, gaskets, valve seals etc.
Cylinder head was hot tanked, checked, valve seats reground. All else was in great shape... :) Only set me back $120 for the head.
I'm going to be able to reuse the cam and crank as well. Machine shop checked those and they are good to go. I think these engines are a fairly low-stress application in our boats. Seems they last pretty well when taken care of properly and don't wear excessively.
I rebuilt the carb in the garage. Took ordering two carb kits to get it done, but it's done! First one from ebay had wrong gaskets for the Rochester 2GC. Oh well...
I filled the exhaust with acetone, capped off the bottom end and stood it up overnight to check it for leaks. It was dry in the morning, so I'm feeling pretty confident it's ok. Thanks for the acetone tip!
Yesterday I spent all day going through the wiring in the transom/bilge area. I think over the years when things were added they were not installed by the most experienced type. Wires wrapped around shift linkage, excess wire tangled everywhere... was a mess!! Looks good now though and will be reliable now.
Later I'm going to be adding a fishfinder/gps so I will be adding that in when funds permit. Thinking Lowrance? Heard good things...
I took a few pictures after my work, so I'll attach those.
Next step, build my motor! :)

View attachment 120349View attachment 120350View attachment 120351View attachment 120352View attachment 120353

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pics don't work. You need to click the Go Advanced button when posting if you want to upload pics (forum glitch).

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, let's try this again...

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice!

Hey, I like your 'garage":)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Really looks good, sextondm. Nice and clean. Looks like you found the Alaska Starmada drydock. Great place to work.

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice

Wish it were my garage :)
I'm a Flight Engineer in C-130's here in Kodiak with the Coast Guard. I had it in our hangar over the weekend (which is heated :) to work on.
Still waiting for my engine rebuild kit. It's coming from Oregon. I think they shipped it snail mail... or maybe dogsled!
Got my Mercury Head Gasket today. Also got proper Mercury Water Pump for the engine block.
I'm going to have the machine shop press the pins in the rods, and I'm going to build the rest of the engine myself. I haven't put an engine together in years, so it's going to be fun!

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice

So I have all my parts together now and am in the process of building the engine!!
Long block is all together, head is torqued down. Water pump, water outlet housing, timing cover all installed. Today I put in the new lifters and push rods, and tightened down the rocker arms.
I need to get the valves adjusted, which is a question I have. Since it's obviously not running, should I just do the "cold" lash adjustment as per Seloc manual as a base point? Then run it, and listen? I haven't done the valve adj. on this engine before, so it's a learning process for me.
Also, does anyone have a source for some of the oem type stickers that usually are on the valve cover? Mine have been painted over, and I would really like to make it look new/nice again. I'm going to sand down the top of the ribs on top of the aluminum valve cover after I paint it just to dress it up a bit.
Also, what are everyones thoughts on a break-in for the engine??
I'll attach a few pictures of the engine too.
Thanks again.

Dave

Attachments

• 007 (2).jpg
    007 (2).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 008 (2).jpg
    008 (2).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0