Deck/fibeglass question?

Rippenlips

Cadet
I have a 72 18' Searay that I have put in a new floor. I am using epoxy and I'm ready to glass the deck. I'm going to use a think weave heavy base and then use a finer top. I have sealed the bare wood and sanded it to give it a rough finish so the top will stick.

My question is can I put both layers down and poor the epoxy over the top? Will it absorb it all the way through? Or should I do one layer at a time? I have the slow epoxy and it is about 65 degrees so I believe I have enough time to work it in.

Attachments

• boat floor.jpg
    boat floor.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deck/fibeglass question?

even with epoxy you will need to do a good wet out on the sub straight.....

i would wet out the substraight......let that sit for 15 mins or so.....then mix a new batch and go individual layer. rather then just pour it on......you will save on resin

Rippenlips

Cadet

even with epoxy you will need to do a good wet out on the sub straight.....

i would wet out the substraight......let that sit for 15 mins or so.....then mix a new batch and go individual layer. rather then just pour it on......you will save on resin

Thanks, so get the floor covered, lay first layer down, Wet it in, then last layer?

Jon T

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yes.......wet out the deck....epoxy resin only......then thick layer......resin......roll that out so there is no air.....then add the last layer of finishing material....

you might not have to add any resin on the top layer....the thin cloth drinks unuesd resin....and wets out very easy....