Is my fibreglass hull ruined?

seagull74

Recruit
Hi, I have a swiftcraft seagull , I decided to paint it as it was a bit dirty looking on the hull and also a couple of patches from small repairs, The gelcoat that was on it was smooth and still a bit shiny.Now I have painted it and its flat with no shine at all and its chalky, I bought the paint from a marine store its a turps based fibre glass paint (single tin) Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong and how to fix it? I know this is a real female question but will it still float like this?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Is my fibreglass hull ruined?

I would have buffed up the gelcoat but i think it will still float :)

Bondo

Staff member

Hi, I have a swiftcraft seagull , I decided to paint it as it was a bit dirty looking on the hull and also a couple of patches from small repairs, The gelcoat that was on it was smooth and still a bit shiny.Now I have painted it and its flat with no shine at all and its chalky, I bought the paint from a marine store its a turps based fibre glass paint (single tin) Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong and how to fix it? I know this is a real female question but will it still float like this?

Ayuh,... Sounds like a possibly poor choice of paint...
Ya did sand, 'n prep it before ya painted it Right,..??

It'll still float, regardless..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you can post pictures....please do......however.....the boat will still float.

if you are worried about you boat not looking good.....you can just sand it (scuff) and re paint.

so......no, your boat is not ruined