Running Gas Lines/ Installing new gas tank

fishinick

Cadet
Have a 16' cc flats boat, I'm doing a bottom up. I need help figuring out how to run the gas lines, install the fuel tank, and so on.

I have a brand new Mohler Marine 19 gallon plastic gas tank. I want to place it under the front casting deck. There is no existing place for a gas fill on the boat since it is a project boat and there are no old gas lines. Can you tell me what the three valves shown are and what I need to do? I also have a "gas tank vent" that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with.

IMG00029.jpg

Also, should I install a gas fill on the casting deck, if so, where? and how do I run the line to do that or does it have to be directly above the tank where I assume you fill it....

Its going to a 50 hp mercury (don't know if that matters.)

Anything helps guys!

Thanks.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Running Gas Lines/ Installing new gas tank

The big one is where the fill hose goes. I would suggest running a line to a gelcoated surface, where the gas couldn't get on carpet or on the inside of the boat. You didn't upload any pictures of the area it's going, so it's hard to say. But, no, it doesn't need to be directly above the tank.

The plate with 5 bolts is for a level sender, if you have one.

Of the other two, one is the feed to the engine, the other is the vent. The feed should have a line inside the tank attached to it. The other won't.

fishinick

Cadet

Heres where its going. Where would you guys suggest I put the fill? There isn't one on the boat.

BTW Thanks for the help figuring out what that stuff was.

IMG00017.jpg

does it work now?

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

picture isn't working.

EDIT: OK, Working now.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Given that whole area is gelcoated, anywhere would be fine. You have to think about the place easiest to get at when trying to fill it at a gas station or whatever. As such, I would put it up on the outside rim of the bow, if inside you would be able to run a line. I'm sure you can find a thru-hull chrome flush mounted unit for the fill and something small for the vent, or maybe a combo unit.

Click HERE to see all the different ones that Iboats sells.