Classic SpeedBoat Restoration With Teak Deck

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Classic SpeedBoat Restoration With Teak Deck

The deck, red & yellow look great! Well done!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Where there's a will there's way. At least you already knew it would fit. Thanks for the backyard retrieval photos.:)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Beautiful work! That teak is amazing! I wanted to do something like that for mine but the price was out of my league. Wood in boats just makes everything better! Congrats!

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your comments!

We've now mounted the engine controls onto the side panel, and fitted both side panels into the boat! All the white poppers you can see will be replaced with red.

The dash is now in as well. We're going to inlay a piece of teak into the dash which will cover up all the screws, and the hole you can see is for the switch panel. A grab handles going on the right hand side of the dash as well.

All thats left to do now is the rear seat back board and the side padding to run along above each side pocket, and then some wiring!

All deck fittings are on now - original lights with LED bulbs, and horn

We've had a slight problem with the engine controls, the gear (black handle) fouls the vinyl pad around the dash! Design error!!! :( So we're going to pick back the vinyl and cut out the foam and the re-vinyl, leaving and arc where the handle used to foul. We're also going to get a bound loose lay carpet to fit to the floor of the same carpet material that used used to carpet the side pockets.

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Hi everyone!
Just a quick update and a few more photos (obivously) :D

The original rubbing stripes back on, may need to invest in a new one in the near future as its been bashed quite a few times!

Fixed the engine control problem! Cut out an arc of foam from under the vinyl, so now the controls can actually move, although still rub slightly but i'll learn to live with that!

Side buffer pads are now on, with added rear passanger grab handles!

The rear seat backrest is now vinyled, also going to vinly a foam pad to go along the top of the backrest! This has replaced an old piece of brown flappy vinyl that used to cover the petrol tank when i first bought the boat!

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Ive also realised i havent added anything about the engine restoration. So here it goes.

The boat was bought knowing that the engine jumped out of gear when reving high. I diagnosed this as a worn clutch dog, so ripped the gearbox appart and rebuilt it with a new clutch dog and all new seals etc.

The gears where suprisingly in good condition and the clutch dog didnt show much sign of wear, but i changed it anyway.

Re-build gear box (sorry for the poor picture, but i'm not taking it appart again! :p)

Obviously as i took it all appart, i also did a lower end service, new water pump, oil, seals, etc. When i put the lower leg back on the engine i noticed a problem with the gear selector rod connector, one of the bolt threads had striped, so i now think it was that which was the problem not the clutch dog!! :( Thats fixed now aswell and it goes in and out of gear properly!

After this I started on the aesthetics, rubbed down the cowling and painted it.

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

And then proceeded to DROP IT!!!!!!!

Thank god for filler!

Painted the rest of the outboard and cowling with original colours.

and then added home made decals from water proof sticky back vinyl as the real decals where IMPOSSIBLE to find!

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

The boats nearly complete! Just wiring and a NAME left!! any suggestions????

Installed a battery master switch which just fits and hides behind the rear seat backrest.

Also put a foam pad on the back rest.

A mock up of the dashboards now completed, just needs a few more coats of varnish and fitting in properly and then the wiring can be completed.

I was hoping to get her on the water on bank hoilday monday, but i now can't get my towbar fitted untill next week, so that will have to be postponed. But i need a NAME!! :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks fantastic!

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELL-O and WOW-WOW-WOW,What aGREAT-GREAT job you did on that boat . It's nice to see a peice of history restored. Again WOW.I sure have enjoyed your tread. THANK'S and now a name for her.--Well i think that is your reward to name her.ENJOY :)--:eek: DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE PLUG IN

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Did some general tidying and small jobs today. Repaired the clamp threads on the engine with helicoils, screwed in the dashboard for good with ammeter, switches and stereo, put two new wheel hubs on the trailer. Mounted the engine on the boat to test the cable steering and controls and cut a piece of carpet for the floor of the boat which now needs the edges to be bound. Here's some photos....

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

GREAT job Chris!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

That has a very classic look to it, and came out great!!!! Any plans for splashing it soon?

glowell

Recruit

Wow. You did an amazing job on this boat. Hats off to you.

jbcurt00

Staff member

What would a splash be w/ out a little screaming? Good video, good splash, and great finish! Well done! Enjoy! You'll be forever putting it in the water & pulling her out now that it's finished, it will get lots of attention & questions.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

I'll 2nd what JB said definitely a head turner thanks for the pics and video.