Painting with Interlux Perfection

Jamie 10017

Seaman
I know about the prep work and and primer and such. My question is after looking at the viedos on Interlux website he makes it look so ez to do and it looks great. But being real about this can a rookie paint a boat and make it turn out like theres did? What it shows is the guy doing the painting has done hundreds of boats. I'm sure your saying at this point roll and tip, got it, what Im asking is does the finished product look like it's been rolled or painted with a brush I want a smooth shining finish. I have never seen a boat painted with this paint up close just pictures, as we all know pictures dont always show the truth. Im wanting to do a little paint work on my boat, I dont mind the work doing it I just dont want it to look like I painted it with a brush. Thank you to all.......now stop laughing.... Jamie:p

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Painting with Interlux Perfection

My question is after looking at the viedos on Interlux website he makes it look so ez to do and it looks great. But being real about this can a rookie paint a boat and make it turn out like theres did?

Sorry Jamie .. unlikely you will get the results as the promo pics or vids as a first timer painter or roll and tip.

With a few corrections you Might get something that is close. Remember .. those vids are cropped and/or applied with Pros.

Yes you can make it turn out mirror .. its all in the Finishing of the paint. ;) .

YD.

PS. you can spray most anything and you dont have to follow the Can Rules of application ;) .

fishinick

Cadet

I literally just painted my boat with Interlux Perfection "Fighting Lady Yellow" last weekend. I must say, it looks awesome. It looks like it was sprayed on. I used the roll/tip method as suggested on the side of the can.

Here's how I did it:
1) scrubbed the entire hull with a surface prep I found at West Marine (sorry I can't remember the name, I used the whole bottle and threw it out)
2) sanded the old oxydized gel coat above the waterline (after masking the area I wanted to paint). 120 grit on a 12 in sanding block, and shurtape hightack tape
3)wiped down with a dry microfiber cloth (probably could have used an old cotton t shirt because I trashed the microfiber cloth) wiped with a damp washcloth to get the rest of the dust off and let it dry.
4) cleaned with more surface prep from West Marine.
5) Primed with Primekote 404 as suggested on the can
6) waited 24 hours, sanded with 220 grit on a 12 in sanding block (may want an electric sander, my arm still hurts from all the sanding haha)
7) wiped again with surface prep from West Marine.
8) poured half of the quart into a mixing bucket (make sure there is no dust or residue in the bottom, it will show in your paint) with the curing agent. mix until you can see it is all the same thickness, scrape all the sides with the mixing stick to make sure none of it stuck to the bottom or sides
9) poured into a heavy duty plastic rolling pan with a 5 in solevent resistant roller from home depot
10) had my girlfriend start at the bow working clockwise around the boat rolling light coats. enough to cover the old white gel but not enough for it to have runs or sags, then I went behind her with a angled fine brush. (I think its made from badger hair, it was 55 bucks) brushed vertically, and slowly overlapping about an inch each stroke until you've made it around the whole boat. (took me about an hour to do this)
11) let it dry until sunday afternoon about 24 hours, sanded with 400 grit sandpaper super light. I only saw a few brushstrokes where we got too heavy on the roller. sanded out pretty easy.
12) wiped down again with surface prep. (don't think the paint said to do this so don't take my suggestion on this part, I just didn't want to go buy another solvent that would cost me 30 bucks lol.)
13) I used half the quart on the first application that I did, so this time I poured the remainder of the quart and did as before, used the rest of the quart with a tiny bit to spare. Let it dry for 24 hours before unmasking.
14) It looked awesome. Shiny and no brushstrokes.

I noticed that the deepness of the shine increased after about 2 days. It looks awesome now. Once I get a chance I'll post a pic of it, but by the time I get to that you'll probably already be done.

Also, a side note:
I painted my 16' flats boat with one quart, 2 coats. Could have used 3 maybe, but at 70 bucks a quart, I'll be happy with 2 coats. It looks awesome.
I am a interior/exterior house painter, so I have worked with paint for a while, never with this stuff before last weekend though. It was pretty easy and went on smooth.

Good luck, hope this helps. If you need anything, send me a PM.

Thanks,

Fishinick

tommays

Admiral

I have sprayed and rolled and tipped and the stuff is REALLY DANGEROUS TO SPRAY and you waste a LOT of paint with transfer efficiency issues when spraying as the hull gets bigger

perfectioncollection.jpg

The white recall was a bit of a downer and i got to test spray lots of material as it got BIGGER

safteyfirst.jpg

perfection2.jpg

J248.jpg

Without a BIG clean place with lots of SAFE ventilation to work you will not be getting this result

i will post a roll and tip in a few

tommays

Admiral

2010_0711_165455.jpg

I figure my 29' project was about a bad a starting place as you could get

2010_0727_161445.jpg

You will be doing a lot of sanding to get a good result

2010_0808_115513.jpg

2010_09260005.jpg

I did spray the Awlgrip 545 primer as it much safer than the topcoat

2011_05100006.jpg

The stuff love collecting bugs and dirt

2011_05130002.jpg

I would suggest you get and follow the Awlgrip manual and use the rollers they suggest because nothing i can type here is going to get you through the learning curve and pitfalls of painting in the wrong weather or time of day

I hit six picture so on to another post

tommays

Admiral

2011_06190018.jpg

2011_09120020.jpg

2b6fc56f.jpg

Sure if you get up close and eyeball it you will find some blems BUT nobody looks that close in real life they hopefully use the boat

In closing be prepared to waste some paint and make some mistakes BUT if you stick it out it will look fine and last a LONG time

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Long time, no see,...

Beautiful job Tommays...

tommays

Admiral

Ayuh

I am about but my life has really been focused on restoring Sailboats the last four years and as much as there still boats there a bit different on most repairs :)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sorry Jamie .. unlikely you will get the results as the promo pics or vids as a first timer painter or roll and tip.

With a few corrections you Might get something that is close. Remember .. those vids are cropped and/or applied with Pros.

Yes you can make it turn out mirror .. its all in the Finishing of the paint. ;) .

YD.

PS. you can spray most anything and you dont have to follow the Can Rules of application ;) .

Ayuh

I am about but my life has really been focused on restoring Sailboats the last four years and as much as there still boats there a bit different on most repairs :)

Nice job there Tom .. but playing devils advocate .. would you Ever suggest using that Crappy Blue tape for a mask line ;) .. looks like you had trouble there :) .. Fine line or 3m 2040 would help you in your next project IMHO.

Still..the OP asked a question about Perfection on his personal No experience.. I say NO. Not for a first timer application.

Pros can do this with there eyes closed .. new timers/painters will have such a difficult time reproducing the End result.

I/We can post (again) spray offs that look like new money .. but its not about us.

I would humble suggesting that a new painter Can NOT Reproduce whats in the product . com pics or vids .. unless they are Very Lucky.. and anal about things :) .

YD.

tommays

Admiral

This is a determined DIY forum NOT what a pro can achieve and i did everything in my front yard with 2 x 4s and costco blue tarps

PB292610.jpg

PC202623.jpg

2011_05130006.jpg

fine line was used as needed and not wasted on a water line that was getting three coats of bottom paint
P7192350.jpg

before
J245.jpg

after
rottenwood1.jpg

I used the fine line were it mattered and perhaps i did NOT make it clear i sprayed ONE mast and rolled and tipped ONE 29' two tone hull and it kind of seemed to work if you followed the directions

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

This is a determined DIY forum NOT what a pro can achieve and i did everything in my front yard with 2 x 4s and costco blue tarps

I used the fine line were it mattered and perhaps i did NOT make it clear i sprayed ONE mast and rolled and tipped ONE 29' two tone hull and it kind of seemed to work if you followed the directions

You also Sprayed 545 primer in your Back yard .. thats a Big NO NO ..

Tommay .. please dont diss me ... and this is NOT your Thread. You have seemed to jack the thread to your own account .. now attacking me ( which is fine ) .

Learn Something and get back to your Own threads instead of jacking another thread please..

I have already suggested that the OP will NOT achieve his goal as a mirror finish with this product as a First Timer!.

Tom .. you can suggest that the Iboats forum is not exclusive to pros .. and your right. Produce answers instead of your own thread jacked up in this one ..

YD.

PS. can you tell Im gettin heated here ? ..

PSS. nice edit there ..

tommays

Admiral

I could care less how heated you get when your advise to not try is disagreed with

At least around here its not illegal to spray 545 in a tented enclosure with a primer gun
3m16570.jpg

I made a post to show real world first time DIY roll and tip results to encourage and iboat member

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I could care less how heated you get when your advise to not try is disagreed with

At least around here its not illegal to spray 545 in a tented enclosure with a primer gun

Your right ..

I made a post to show real world first time DIY roll and tip results to encourage and iboat member

Your Right again ..

Sorry .. Ill back off ..

YD.

PS. GL OP on your paint job ..

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Hey guys I didnt want to get anything started ,Yacht dr, Tommays thank you both for your ideas they are both good. We all have opinions and ideas the way things should be done thats why we are on here to learn from guys like the both of you who have done these different things to boats. I work on Greyhound buses for a living not boats and I feel this is a great place to ask with a wealth of imformation. I'm sorrry if I ask stupid questions sometimes even twice I just want to make sure I have all the answers to make myself comfortable with doing this to my boat. As we all on here have more time than money so we ask and ask again, that being said again thank you for your thoughts and ideas, opinions Jamie