HELP on small stringer

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have run into a problem on my try, she has 2 stringers 6" tall and i have made new ones out of 2 15/32" 3layor ply. but the problem i am now running into is there is a small stringer that runs down the center of the Keel and its only 1 1/2" maybe 2" thick but 3" tall? is this a keel structural stringer ?? i thought about making it the just like the other stringers and run it up to the floor???? please some advice...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP on small stringer

I recommend trying to fabricate the exact same thing that was there before. The engineers that designed the boat had a reason and I usually find it's best to go back with their orgininal design.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok thank you Wood one more question for you when cutting the deck what is the best way to do the messurements ?

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i'll tell you what i am finding it a pain in the 223 cutting the stringers . you cut then dry place the have to cut again... i am guessing there is NO easy way to cut maybe 2 times..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Bring your boat on down here to 'Bama Milton and I'll show you how to do it.;)

If your original stringers were too rotten to save for a template you're going to have to scribe the new ones in. Cut you stringer pieces taller than they need to be and roughly the shape they need to be. Hold your stringer where it needs to be in the boat and depending on how big your biggest gap is use a small block of wood and lay a pencil on top of it, then slide the block and pencil down the hull marking the bottom of the stringer. Cut and check the fit, rescribe if need be. When the stringer bottom fits right cut the top to the proper height.

This is an old carpenter trick, I know this for a fact because an old carpenter showed me how to do it when I was an apprentice.:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I always use cardboard or Tempered Hard board to use as a template. I then use a school house compass to scribe the hull to the template material. Basically the same as JNG's piece of wood method, but with the template I can just lay it on the wood, trace it, and cut it. Either way will work just fine.