Between a rock and a soft spot....

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice
I was planning on replacing my floor and probally stringers on a 1984 four-winns 170..My problem is my boat wont fit in my gargage (no matter which way i try). Now im in Northern Ohio and it gets real nasty in the winter so doing it outside is out of the question and anywhere i've checked to rent is either too much or just to far away to travel everyday. I really love this boat and want to keep it along time. Does any one know anybody who does this type of work for a living or someone wants to make some money on the side in my general area. Any feedback would be great..Im just running out of idea's...

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Between a rock and a soft spot....

hi lenny,,,,,,

a stringer deck transom job will cost you over 5-7k. if you got that cash.....you can find a shop.

one of the ways to do this......is to rent a big shop 1700-2000 sq ft......and sub let the other sections out as car storage or work shop. you can get away for free or cheap.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Would you be able to put up any of these in your yard to work on the boat?
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Shelter

Obviously wouldn't work great if you needed to lay glass while it's cold out. But a large enough one with a heater will keep you and the boat out of the elements. Still cheaper then long term cost of rent, or having someone else do it for you.

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

a portable tent/garage from a hardware supplier and do it that way. I really like doing / fixing things myself (im a auto mech.) I dont want to drop 5-7k for something i could do myself..It would make me feel lazy..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i like glassing when its cold....i use the cold to my advantage and lay more layers. i let the heat in the tent warm the substraight and materials, and control the ambiant temp for the type of process im using. i always stay at 2% poly cat rate

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

opps said: i like glassing when its cold....i use the cold to my advantage and lay more layers. i let the heat in the tent warm the substraight and materials, and control the ambiant temp for the type of process im using. i always stay at 2% poly cat rate

Just how cold we talking? I think our average winter temp is around 30. I always thought that would be way to cold to lay glass and it wouldnt set right? I could probally heat it up to maybe 50+ for four or so hours at a time.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i have glassed in an outside temp of -10 deg......around 15f

this is with a tarp wrapped around the bottom of a boat. outside boat on stands next to the frozen ground..

i heated the tent, (the space under the boat) with a long thro propane heater. and heated the substraight, the resin and glass was kept warm inside.

everthing was kept inside.....the glass cut inside......the only time the materials went outside was to apply the glass.

fibreglass resin gets hot when it cures....too hot and it becomes brittle, so the cooler/colder temps are used to cure the resin properly.

however......i also have a lazer heat gun to monitor the curing temp......i would not suggest to do multliple layers (over three) in cold temps.

if you click the hull extension thread (link in my sig) there is a bit on glassing in colder temps ..... it think its in the index.

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

Oops your a real life saver...That takes soooo much off mymind.. I was only planning on dual layers . I do have a laser heat thermometor and a torpedo heater. So the resin for the glass acts like a self curing epoxy (heats its self up chemically to properly cure). What would be the right temp range for the glass / resin while it cures? Or a better question would be how long do i need to heat the tent after i apply the resin?

alligatorgars

Seaman Apprentice

If you took it off the trailer onto a cradle that you made out of ply wood and 2x4 it wouldnt fit then?

Friscoboater

Captain

Mine would not fit until I built a cradle and took it of the trailer. Then I had one inch to spare, but the drive had to come off.

Glastron SX-190 (19')

DSC09508.jpg

DSC09503.jpg

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

Ive decided to put a temp. addition to my garage (2x4 / plywood / tarping) and bring the area where the garage door is out another 6-7 feet and that will give me plenty of room to work on the boat over the winter months. Im gonna start posting pics next week of the project from start to finish (hopefully she'll still float when im done :p )