Mystery Boat Project

Beccara

Cadet
Re: Mystery Boat Project

Yep, We're going to "convoy" it home with a lead car, the tow car and trailer and a follow car. It's a 11km drive but we'll be keeping to 50kmh. It looks alot lower at the back because the front of the trailer is raised up. We're going load it up with more stropes and chains to secure it to the trailer but yes it's alot more boat than that trailer should have!

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Before you put it on the road, check and repack the wheel bearings on the trailer and check the tire (tyres) for dry rot and weather cracks. Been there, done that, not fun if something lets down on the highway.

rrumba

Ensign

Any advice on what filter's I should be using for sanding/chemical stripping with marine paint and antifouling (Wet Sanding I know) I'm planning on doing a safety gear buy sometime today.

myself i used the 3m one for paint/fumes with several different glasses/googles but the goggles kept fogging up, very annoying when grinding and then it gets in your eyes and yada yada yada... i broke down, and must say VERY happy that i did, and got a full face respirator off the bay for 45 shipped, found the filters at grainger being discontinued so i picked up all of them they had left, like 25 of them for like 2.60 a cartridge, SCORE :eek:

Repirator http://www.ebay.com/itm/Survivair-Sperian-Full-Face-Respirator-w-filters-SPECIAL-PRICE-/110743600393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c8d53d09

the cartridge is a combo vapor/gas and particulate combined as one.

Best invest i made, no more fogging up, getting debris/dust in the eyes or contacts.

Beccara

Cadet

So time for an update!

We went around to pick up the boat on the Saturday morning, After inflating the tires with a compressor and going forward 5m then back 5m for a bit we felt it was safe enough to drive. As we got upto 30kmh on the main road I noticed smoke coming from one of the wheels so with no kerb to pull over onto we had to stop on the road. Thankfully it was a quite road and a quick fix, the hull had slipped and was rubbing on the tire.

We made it safe and sound to it's new home without any more incidents, The shed it was going into had about 8 m3 of wood left in it so the first daywas spent cleaning that out and leveling out the floor. Once this was done we backed in the trailer and jacked it up.

Next up was stripping out the decking timber and the wiring, Most of the wiring and battery systems were gone and corroded so they went in the bin. I kept most of the engine control bits but I don't hold much hope they will work due to corrosion. With the big bits gone it was time to do some drill samples and mild sanding we found that the bow from the start over the first 12 ft was fine, The cap has some rot but the hull came up ok. The rest not so much, around the center line of the boat from where the decking was exposed shows signs of rot, alot of rot right thru the hull. The supports for the deck came out very easily. Right now we're sitting back and thinking about what to do from here in, I have the feeling a 1m wide 2-3m length of the hull will need to be replaced

Attachments

• IMG_20110918_181343.jpg
    IMG_20110918_181343.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110918_181353.jpg
    IMG_20110918_181353.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110918_181402.jpg
    IMG_20110918_181402.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110918_181419.jpg
    IMG_20110918_181419.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110918_181502.jpg
    IMG_20110918_181502.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander

I would really recommend NOT going around drilling holes to see if things are rotted. That works OK for the fiberglass boat crowd where everything is glassed in & covered. That is NOT what is done on a wooden boat. Let it dry out well and then tap with a light weight solid object (screwdriver handle etc) and listen for a 'dead' or hollow sound on the laminated skin (plywood it is being called here, though the topsides up forward could not be built out of sheet plywood as I said earlier). You could also do some poking with a sharp thin knife blade in the direction of the wood grain looking for soft wood.
Wood boats also do not have separately constructed "caps" as some refer to the deck structure of a fiberglass boat. You will not be able to 'remove some rivets or screws and lift the "cap" off'. The deck is framed & built integrally with the hull. The only way the entire deck and truck cabin structure will come off is in pieces.
As much as I do respect this site for smaller fiberglass and aluminum boats I would really suggest that if you want the best advise you go check out the Woodenboat discussion forum http://forum.woodenboat.com/

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ned is correct.

a the wooden boats are built totally different.....dont try and seperate the cap.

look for rot as suggested above.

you are in kiwi land.......are you boating in salt or fresh....it makes a big difference.

wooden boats are not that difficult....and can be fixed fairly easy if you know how to work with wood.

gellcoat does not apply here.

Ned L

Commander

Thank you Oops!

----------- I also forgot to mention that there is an active group of N.Z people on the Woodenboat site, so it might be easy for you to connect with some good sources of help in person.