EPS Foam - Expanded Polystyrene and Deck question. and latex paint. / deck paint

Re: EPS Foam - Expanded Polystyrene and Deck question. and latex paint. / deck paint

Full Boat.jpg

Full shot of the boat and trailer. 1985 Glastron . Dont know what model . It was gutted when i bought it .

Do i even need foam in this boat?

(2).jpg

This is the inside , captains chair . Mostlikely wont use it . kinda ugly and short. The plywood in the boat is not the ones im using the guy before me was in the middle of restoration. But it was really bad work .

Johnson 175HP.jpg

1985 Johnson 175 HP Outboard. I think its a seahorse. I would like to do the work myself but need some guidance. What is my first step?
Or should i just get my mechanic to do it.

I am unable to attach bigger pictures over 2 mb . So i can put up my pics of the stringers and bottom of boat.. for some reason . any advice>?
- ill try and take some new pictures to see if that works.

072611065606.jpg

The Bow . I want to do a fishing deck up here . I have some ideas in my head . Lmk if you have any ideas for the casting deck .

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: EPS Foam - Expanded Polystyrene and Deck question. and latex paint. / deck paint

If i was going to keep the boat i would deffenitly use glass and resin on the deck.
Heck, if i just wanted it to last 1 year, i wouldn't even lay down resin,why waste it.

You got a great deal on her.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice job on the pics. You got more than $500 worth of stuff there, nice find.

Yeah i was gonna sell her in pieces cause the trailer is an adjustable trailer and can fit a 22 ft boat. and the motor should be worth more than 1000 easy. When she runs lol.

Thanks Ezmobee. Still cant put on my other pics cause they are too big .. Retarded lol.

So i am aiming at finding a another sealing agent for the plywood . DOnt want to Glass the deck .

So a concreate floor sealer maybe ? Brands?

Cheap epoxy> brand?>>

And i have seen so many different stories about using latex paint and or Oil based enamel ... Both Glidden products. Im cheap lol.

but both say they are good to use. I figured Oil based would be better but hearing latex should hold up just fine> True?

I swear im loosing my mind lol. Wish i could talk to someone face to face and walk through the boat with me .

Waterproofer>?

j_martin

Admiral

For sealing wood, you're not going to beat the performance of Rot Doctors CPES. Nasty stuff, not cheap, but extremely effective.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The deck/sole of your boat plays an important and integral part in the overall structure. It MUST be tabbed/attached to the sides of the hull in order to maintain the boats integrity. You will HAVE to make this attachment using resin and glass. You cannot just lay new wood down in a boat of this kind and not attach it to the hull. It will severely compromise the structural integrity of the boat. Having said this, I see no way around glassing your new deck. This can be done for $100 - $200 dollars. If you are not willing to absorb this cost then I think you should sell her and find a boat that is "Ready for the Water". That's my exerienced opinion.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1!
The hull can and WILL flex severly if the deck isn't glassed to the hull.
Perhaps instead of glassing the entire deck, you could just do the tabbing to the hull. Then paint/seal with whatever.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1!
The hull can and WILL flex severly if the deck isn't glassed to the hull.
Perhaps instead of glassing the entire deck, you could just do the tabbing to the hull. Then paint/seal with whatever.

I agree with this. If you are looking to do this on the cheap, and just have the deck last a couple years this is the way to go. Yes the deck MUST be tabbed to the hull, it is not worth doing if you are going to skip this step.

Now my thoughts for sealing the deck, Get a quality wood stain/sealer. apply 4-5 coats and the deck will last a couple years easy. With this method at least, you can always come back and glass over it at a later date if you wish.

Just my thoughts...

Ok ... I guess im an idiot cause i didnt totally say how i was going to do it but yes i know i am going to tab the deck to the hull. I will be doing this with Peanut butter, then a 3-4 inch strip over that , and a 7-10 inch strip over that. That is all the around the deck , secured to the hull. Should be ok right>

I just dont want to glass the whole deck. I want to either varnish the remainer of the deck or a sealer. But since its going to be tied in all the way around and some spots that i can get to by the ski locker and some other compartments for xtra hold. Should i even seal the rest of the deck >? or just start painting over it . I will be putting on a good amount of coverage on it. I understand the correct way to do it . Just Running out of money.

I want to get on the water while its still hott out. and probably do a complete restore in the winter. But how i plan on doing it and using my boat , i think its should hold up for a considerable amount of time.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just paint the darn thing and call it a day.

Jjthejetplane

Recruit

How do you know if the foam is part of the structure?

Alirght . Im just gonna paint the F*ing thing. See how it turns out and how long she lasts. Thanks for the responses. Hope to post some pics in a week or 2 when she is done.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alirght . Im just gonna paint the F*ing thing. See how it turns out and how long she lasts. Thanks for the responses. Hope to post some pics in a week or 2 when she is done.

You guys are cracking me up.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

As long as the poured foam in your boat is not structural, you can replace it with sheet foam (or even pool noodles). Stick with the pink or blue sheet foam as it will not absorb water. The white styrofoam will.

Can someone please tell me what is structural and non-structural foam.

Scott Chinsota

Petty Officer 1st Class

doesn't look any bigger than mine...maybe 60 sq ft?
3 gal of poly...$75-$90
15 yds 1 1/2 csm...$75
3-4 yds 1708 for tabbing...$44
$200 and it will last for 40 years...or paint it and do it over in 40 weeks or 40 months (if you use really good paint)

Scott Chinsota

Petty Officer 1st Class

theoretically, you could "paint" it with a gallon of titebond 3. it's waterproof and only about $25 a gallon.

Scott Chinsota

Petty Officer 1st Class

...or try a coat of vaseline. from what i've read, it'll make it nice and shiny! :D

for the above comment...i must apologize. i was being a jerk. was trying to be funny. doesn't always work out that way. good luck with your project. i'm over budget on mine too and i know how frustrating it is to run out of funds.