How can i repair the cut out i did in the side of the stringer?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: How can i repair the cut out i did in the side of the stringer?

Yep, as soon as the first layer goes down, apply the next until she's flush.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, update, in putting the 5 min. epoxy in the backside crack and clamping it to glue the wood to wood , the epoxy came up to the top of the stringer flush, should of seen that coming, i assume i would need to use the expoy resin to do this area now?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ya really need to post up some pics please.

You seem to be gettin a lot of request for pics and alot of answers without them.

You need to grind out and get ready for the glassing. If you have already kicked off resin then you might have gotten too far in the repair ( mebbe not though too hard to tell without pics ).

YD.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here's about the latest, i haven't changed much except grind all the gel coat from the area. This picture shows it ground off, the whole piece is held on by a little wood now moving as if on a hinge, the hinge part, left side of pic (long side cut) i put in 5 min epoxy in it to try and adhere the wood back to the wood from what i cut, only thing is it squeezed up farther than anticipated, now flush with the top of the repair area. So, the main question here is that i was going to grind down all the gall just before the wood and dish the area so i can re lam the vinylester and 1708 biax and csm you suggested Yacht, only thing is i'm not sure if the vinylester can be put over the epoxy in the long side crack, only place side that was a wide enough area to get epoxy in there...............

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

forgot the pics, took one furthest back to get a overview of the area, my earlier posts show that this boat has a all fiberglass stringer system made in one mold the size of the boat adhered into the hull, this area is part of that however not structurally sure how vital, the one pic you can see how it could move down that area that opened up is the area i put 5 minute epoxy in, only area large enough, not sure how strong the epoxy cures, i was thinking about just epoxy'ing all 3 sides once that side hardened then i would be able to cut the other 2 sides since that side was held solid as to not have the cutting wheel shatter and throw shrapnel everywhere. So since that epoxy squeezed up higher than anticipated past the wood and to the top 1/4" glueing the glass also, do i have to do the repair with epoxy resin now or will the vinylester work with the epoxy?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you're not going to gelcoat it then stay with the epoxy. If you ARE going to gelcoat then you need to grind off as much of the epoxy as you can. Vinylester and gelcoat... basically all poly products, do not adhere to expoxy without some special prep and even then not guaranteed to stay stuck.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would personally just feather/smooth out and use VE resin and mat/1708.

I would also suggest a bit more grinding and beveling before you glass ( unless you dont mind a hump in your repair ).

YD.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I grounded off the fiberglass that was on top of the piece of plywood that the bilge pump was mounted to and got all the water out, not much, the wood is solid and about dried out, underneath the wood that cavity which is a all one mold piece over the hull is fiberglass, no water can intrude to the wood area where the drain plug hole, and the livewell fill and drains are mounted which is about a foot lower and a foot and a half away(seperate from transom area).

The square are i ground down had one layer of woven roving with one layer of csm (chop strand matt, see i'm learning) on top of that with gelcoat( ?) (the white area) on top.

What exactly do i need to do now to complete the repair and then i'm going to scuff up the finished area and glue the bilge pump mounting bracket down ( no screws).

As far as the "stringer area" i don't think that is the stringer, basically that whole are over the hull is one mold over the hull, the area i cut is inward of where i believe the stringers are. i took a pic of the back of the boat and the square parts on the back of the boat ,where the fish finder is mounted, i believe is the stringers themselves. I think the rectangle "stringer area" is made up of all csm built up to 1/4" thick, hard to tell, extremely strong though.

Please help on how to patch up please, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Thanks all for the advise, i'm going to se the epoxy csm and 1708 biaxial for that area, for the bilge area above, what can i use to fill in the gaps around the edges before lam'ing it back in ?

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i tried to copy and paste from post # 10 and show the first two pics in post # 10, didn't work right. Anyway, not sure if i have to fill in the edge cracks or not before laying the cloth down, i don't think when i grinded it down that there was much there, not as far as being solid anyway. I'm just not sure if i try to lay the cloth down over how it is now, with a little more feathering of course, if the cloth will just fall into the cracks or not before curing a foot hold.

Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd make some PB to fill the cracks then lay the csm.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you are really over thinking this bud......this is just a basic fibergalss repair.

feather the edges of the cut out area, add peanut butter to the cracks.....then glass over with csm and woven till flush....then paint or gell.

if you are worried about the two part liner/stringer and dont want to glass the two togeather.....glass the inner system first.....then place wax paper over the repair....then just glass the outer skin, fair and gell or paint.

this repair should only take two hours max (unless you are gellcoating.....then add extra for fairing.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, i reapired the stringer section today with csm, csm,1708 biaxial, csm, csm all went well, thanks to all for the help.
Second and final repair is the bilge area, looking at the first and second pic of post # 10 you can see what i'm running into now.
Along side the stringer in the bilge area are factory holes to allow water that collected in the outer stringer sections to drain to the bilge and then to where the wood section that i ground the glass off of.
Problem is water is able to run between the bottom of the liner and the top part of the liner ( the bilge area where water normally collects) and down into the capivy around the wood and just sits there. What i was thinking was this, not sure if this is the best way to go, i was thinking of gring the area around the wood more and filling in with peanut butter or something else all around the wood and leaving the whole area around the wood open to let water collect there, get pumped out via the bilge pump and then is open in order to dry out, any help on this would be greatly apprectiated.
Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would make it where you could insert pvc pipe into the holes and seal it up so NO water could get to the wood. Should be easy enuf to do.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like that wood in the pic was glassed in there for the bilge pump to be mounted to only. I think i understand what your saying, your saying to seal up the holes that lead from the bilge area and can go to the back of the boat along the stringers seem to the wood. I would do that although from what i can see there are others closer to the sides of the boat on either side of the boat that channel any water to the bilge, i'm afraid if i seal up the holes in the bilge then any water that collects elsewhere will lead to the wood block anyway, gotta pour water in those areas and see if it gets to the area. I'm just afraid of sealing them up and what water is accumulated only slowly fills under the grillage area until the water level rises enough to get to the foam and soak it and make the boat run deeper and deeper in the water .....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not what I meant. I meant to use the PVC pipe to create the drainage and seal everthing else.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh i see, when i get my computer fixed end of this week i'll post the pics of where it is and what i have to work with, looks like a spring job.