How can i repair the cut out i did in the side of the stringer?

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cut out a 4" long by 2" tall section out of the one stringer to see if there was wood at the bottom of it. I also made another cut of the same area from the top to the same side of the stringer making the total cut out area like a backwards upside down " L " cutout including the corner of the stringer. How do i go about the repair, the top first i imagine using screws to screw something to the inside of the stringer for support for the glass cloth and do i use fiberglass matt and woven roving?

Thanks.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How can i repair the cut out i did in the side of the stringer?

Anyone there that can help me please?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Got some pics please ..

Anything less then that will kinda give you the same results .. no response.

You Need pics .. We Need pics .. and the Truth on what happened ..

Mini bump ..

YD.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the truth on what happened? really. I explained, i cut a sextion out of the stringer as stated above.
The stringer is all fiberglass about a 1/4" thick total. Basically now there is a rectangular shaped hole in the side of the stringer as well as in the top of it which is half of the total width of the top,
i think this can be diagnosed without pictures.
I assume i need to screw a plate or something on the inside hollow section for the fiberglass woven roving or whichever other fiberglass cloth that is needed to be affixed to to be repaired , exactly how to do this is my question here.

Thanks.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As yacht dr. stated pictures will really help.
From your description, I'm getting an image of "hollow" stringers? Was there wood in them?

Again, pics will really help. These guys will offer great advice, Pictures help to them to see what your dealing with.

Decker83

Commander

We can't see what you see. It sounds like you have a hollow stringer. If this is correct I would grind down the area all around the cut out at least 12" back. You need to feather edge the hole so the glass will build back to the same thickness or thicker.
If you do not prep the area the new glass will fail. You can put a backer in place with any thin wood. You don't have to screw it in place. You can use epoxy or a mixture of PB. You will need to back the top as well as the side. When you have your prep work done then you need to decide if you or going to use epoxy or poly resin. Epoxy is stronger and cost more. The stringer you or repairing is probably polly resin. If you use epoxy you should use the 1700 biax without the mat. You will need to cut the first layer a little larger than the hole. Then keep cuting the next layer at least 3" larger until you have enough layers for the proper thickness.
If you use the poly resin you will need 1.5oz csm and the 1708 biax with matt. Do the same type layup but start with the csm and then the 1708.
Either way, you should have all your glass cut and ready to use. Clean the area with acetone and layup all the glass at one time so each peice is wet on wet.
Just my thoughts.
There are better guys than me at doing this.
Pic's will help.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

the truth on what happened? really. I explained, i cut a sextion out of the stringer as stated above.

I was just jesting navyman :) .

i think this can be diagnosed without pictures..(snip)..exactly how to do this is my question here.

I dont think this can Properly be diagnosed without pics m8 ..

Is your deck setting on top of the stringers ? Because if it is then just piling up some glass is NOT going to work..

Is your stringer system a molded gel-coated stringer system ? what kind of boat ..what year ..etc .

See .. without pics we just have to keep asking more and more questions until in our visual mind we Think we have a good pic of what your dealing with .. but a simple few pics from you Will Help more than you know ..

Need them pics m8. .. :)

YD.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You could also give us a tiny hint on what kind of boat are we dealing with - - power/sail - - 15' or 50'???? - - - 1930 or 1963???

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is a Winner 1988, from what i read and saw is the following:
Winner boats used a 1 piece stringer system , the stringer system was made in a seperate mold and set over the hull. Chop strand was used in the hull along the contact points at the chines and lift strakes. The stringer system was weighted down in the hull and the bond was made complete. The voids between the stringer system and the hull was filled with high pressure foam.

With that said i cut open a section of the stringer along it's side and top to verify there was no wood in there, there isn't.

The section i cut is at the very back, no deck above it, behind the one 14 gallon gas tank about a foot before the stringer stops at the back of the boat. I will post pics but need to know what fiberglass cloth , in what sequence to lay it down and what resin to use. I understand some of what decker said above but not all. This is my first fiberglass repair, so i need a little bit more simple terms on the prep work and cloth to use. So far i have fiberglass matt, woven roving, and 1708 and fiberglass resin and hardner from home depot. I will take pics and post them tommorow and let yas know what type of resin and hardener it is then also. Thanks.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:
I grounded off the fiberglass that was on top of the piece of plywood that the bilge pump was mounted to and got all the water out, not much, the wood is solid and about dried out, underneath the wood that cavity which is a all one mold piece over the hull is fiberglass, no water can intrude to the wood area where the drain plug hole, and the livewell fill and drains are mounted which is about a foot lower and a foot and a half away(seperate from transom area).

The square are i ground down had one layer of woven roving with one layer of csm (chop strand matt, see i'm learning) on top of that with gelcoat( ?) (the white area) on top.

What exactly do i need to do now to complete the repair and then i'm going to scuff up the finished area and glue the bilge pump mounting bracket down ( no screws).

As far as the "stringer area" i don't think that is the stringer, basically that whole are over the hull is one mold over the hull, the area i cut is inward of where i believe the stringers are. i took a pic of the back of the boat and the square parts on the back of the boat ,where the fish finder is mounted, i believe is the stringers themselves. I think the rectangle "stringer area" is made up of all csm built up to 1/4" thick, hard to tell, extremely strong though.

Please help on how to patch up please, thanks.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Chinsota

Petty Officer 1st Class

more pics please. farther, not closer. i just cant get proper orientation. then closer with light shining into cavity.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bud......is this the thread?...

ok my friend....lets get this on track......the lack of answers is because every one here is confused....

you are talking stringers and you are showing pics of the inside liner.

this is what your boat looks like under the liner.

Picture005.jpg

so when you are talking stringer .....and mean the liner....we are confused....

the liner is the white thing you are cutting into in the pics.....

so we need overall pictures of where you are cutting into...im thinking its the motor mounts....

as far as mounting the bilge pump....make an L bracket attach the pump to that.....and screw the bracket on to the transom back wall at the lowest point of the bilge.

then take the screws out.....fill the holes with 3m 5200 and replace the screws.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

nope....is that a splash well?....still dont know what we are looking at

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats not what this boat looks like underneath, no wood on the bottom. Just the hull on the bottom with this molded area placed into the hull. This is what i read and have seen so far:

Winner boats were the first with a 100% one piece fiberglass stringer system,
but there was still plywood in the deck and in the transoms.
The stringer system was a very innovative way to build boats.
The stringer system was made in a seperate mold and set over in the hull.
Chop strand was used in the hull along the contact points at the chines and lift strakes.
The stringer system was weighted down into the hull and the bond was made complete.
The voids between the stringer system and the hull was filled with high pressure foam.
The piece i cut a rectangle out of where you see the foam, is part of this area.

The raised area where the bilge pump was mounted to ( raised from the wood being mounted underneath) was soaked from water getting in from the screw holes from the bilge pump. Grounded area down pic # 2, found it is all fiberglass in that area, water can't go anywhere else including that area i cut the rectangle from.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok hang on here my friend.....we can still do this....moulded fiberglass stringers or not......by the way...after the manufacturer used that mounded stringer process...the next few years,,,,they just layed foam in the hull and blew chopped strand mat over the foam.... this gave them the same thing but cost less money and time to produce.

what we are needing is .....where is the repair area you are working on.....is it a splash well?....it doesnt look like a bilge if it is a bilge.....there is defenatly wood in the stringers....as we can see the wood.

so is that the bilge?......(there could be a pump in the splash well area as well)

so if you can back off the camera a wee bit....like from amid ships and snap a pic so we can see where you are working.....we can help you better.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

010.jpg8336.jpgnot sure where you see wood, trust me, the only wood is the mounting block of wood that is glassed to the hull that i ground the glass from the top of, pic 1 and 2. Underneath that wood block you see, about a inch lower is the very bottom of the boat. underneath that wood is all fiberglass. Inside that liner or stringer or whatever ya call it i cut , is fiberglass underneath that.

The wood you see is in the bilge, see the drain hole and livewell fill pipe next to it?

Attached is a pic of someone elses 1988 winner they ripped the wood deck off of and can see this stringer system. Also i have another pic of the bilge area before i removed the livewell fill pipe, it's red valve, etc.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the company was out of business the next year. Between the 2 black pipes you see in the above post is the drain hole, yes the bilge. 1 " lower is the lawn, no wooden 2x4's running the length of the boat. The above pic is exactly how my boat looks underneath.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok...so you have the motor out?....and you want to repair the cut out area correct?

no sweat.....grind off the gellcoat around the area.

grind the gellcoat off the cut out part as well....

screw the cut out back in place.....attach it to the area behind it.

mix up some peanut butter.....the recipe is in the link in my sig.

fill the crack around the repair with peanut butter...

glass over the repair with 3 layers of 1.5 oz matt...each layer slightly larger than the last but dont glass over gellcoat....only what you have ground down to the glass.

when that cures.....sand the area with 120 grit....just to some what smooth it.

if you want it perfect.....you will need to gellcoat it....

mix up some gellcoat paste...and trowel it over the repair making sure it smoothes out the rough csm

sand that flat.

then brush on some gellcoat let cure....than fair...sand with progressive sand paper all the way to 15oo grit... and buff......you wont even see the area.

if you dont really care what it looks like.....just sand the csm till its flat....trowel on some peanut butter so all the rough areas of the csm are smooth....sand that flat...prime and spary paint,