Transom Replacement

bmoebrc

Cadet
I am preparing to replace the transom on a 1980 MFG Piper 1500 outboard. The transom is well rotted and no doubt that it needs replacement. It is an inch and a half thick, however I am not sure if that thickness extends to the outer corners of the transom. I can see the transom from inside underneath the splash well and from my observations it appears that the 1.5? thickness may only extend partially.
See sketch of what I think that transom may be shaped like as if you were looking down from the top of it.
My question is could this possibly be the shape and was this a practice that MFG employed on some of their models. I am trying to decide what approach I want to take before cutting into the boat such as removing the splash well, separating the deck from hull, etc.
Thanks for your help.[/B]

TRANSOM 2.jpg

Attachments

• Transom Sketch.jpg
    Transom Sketch.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transom Replacement

Welcome to the iboats Dry Dock,

We really need some pictures of what you have. There are many different types of transom confirgurations out there. Most likely you'll need the cap off the boat to replace the transom, but before we can say yes or even give much information, we need to see what you have.