latex paint on trailer?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm painting my trailer and was wondering if I can use latex paint . What do you think?
They make some for outdoors and it says it's good to paint metal but I just don't know about the latex.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: latex paint on trailer?

Now you know better than that.....the Rusto would be a good choice for that..

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a rustolem product. No, don,t use it?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't use latex on the steel...use the oil base rusto.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Cadwelder. I'll head down to HD and get the right stuff.

Decker83

Commander

I used the rustolem oil base paint on my utility trailer a couple of years back. It is still holding up good. I had alot of rust on the trailer when I repainted it.
I used some wire brushes on it and then primed with rustolem primer. I didn't get all the rust off but I did clean all the lose stuff off. Have no rust on it now.

Kent

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I use epoxy paint on my stuff if I am going thru the hassle to paint something, I only want to paint it once.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Go to tractor supply and get the Valspar Hardener too.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well I'm here to say that I have now painted 2 different trailers with a Rustolium Industrial water base acrylic paint. Obainted a gallon of the stuff and it has worked very well! Cleans up with water. Takes a bit longer to fully cure but was able to roll it on with a fine foam roller and I assure you it looks great and is very durable. No chips and you really have to try to get a scratch in it. I'll use it again.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I painted my trailer today. Started at 5 am and finished at 11 am. Covered really good and the wife loves the color. I had to have the ladie at HD mix the paint for me because they don't carry a navy blue in the rusto except for the latex.
Well' it dried and to me it looks purple:mad:. The wife says she can tell it's blue but I'm not buying it. So I might be repaintig it, we'll see.

Decker83

Commander

I have never seen Rustolem in a latex paint. I guess I need to pay more attention from now on. (lol)

Did HD show you a dry sample of the paint before you left the store. You might be able to put on a second coat in a small area and see how it dries out.
Latex is funny about having one color when its wet and turning a different shade when it dries.

Kent

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I took the latex back, It was called Painters touch made by rusto.
They mixed me up some oil base paint that isn't rusto but their home brand and tryed to match the navy blue. I put three coats on and it's dry to touch but still looks purple to me. Maybe it's just me. I should post a pick and see what you guys think.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I have never seen Rustolem in a latex paint. I guess I need to pay more attention from now on.
Kent

Yeap. Sold under Industrial Choice and is called DTM Acrylic. DTM = Direct To Metal. Made by Rustolium. I received it though an Industrial Supply Distributor. Don't know if it's available retail.

Decker83

Commander

Well that could explain why I have never seen it before.

Post some pic's Produceguy and let all take a look see.

Kent