my transom is moldier than your transom.

root beer guy

Seaman Apprentice
1. my father in-law is an idiot.
2. there is NO such thing as a free boat.

I have many other horrors to share, including this boats back story. this is just a quick post to vent a little frustration.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: my transom is moldier than your transom.

I really don't see a problem here? You're tearin' old stuff apart with tools and you're going to get to put it back together real nice and pretty like... sounds like a party to me!:D

Try not to hog all the fun and let paw-in-law get his hands dirty too.;)

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hope yer father in law doesn't read this forum!

A sheet of marine ply, a little epoxy and yer good to go.

Of course we still wanna hear the back story.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Hope yer father in law doesn't read this forum!

A sheet of marine ply, a little epoxy and yer good to go.

Of course we still wanna hear the back story.

Transom on a tinny is a piece of cake.....on with the story..

lmsmith

Seaman

He's complaining! I had to pay $50 for mine. The way I see it your fifty dollars ahead of me.:D Here's my transom or should I say was my transom.

Attachments

• 100_2497 (2) (1280x960).jpg
    100_2497 (2) (1280x960).jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2499 (2) (1280x960).jpg
    100_2499 (2) (1280x960).jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2498%20%282%29%20%281280x960%29[1].jpg
    100_2498%20%282%29%20%281280x960%29[1].jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

No worries Imsmith. You'll have her fixed in no time. Besides this will give you time to "get to know" and "bond" with your new toy :) There are tons of threads that can walk you through a transom repair. It's really not that bad. $100 and one weekend and you'll be done. There may be a silver lining, however. Judging by the transom support bracket, it looks to be a Starcraft of some sort. If so, there is a veritable cult of starcraft tin boat owners that get you through and rough spots. keep us posted. have fun!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, story. Let's hear it!

Uh, that first photo there reads to me like Dad's OB might have went for a swim?:eek:

lmsmith

Seaman

Do tell. With a name like "Root Beer Guy" it's got to be good. Wished I'd have thought of a name that cool.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class

I removed my engine mounts under a glass shell with a dust broom!

... Aren't we still waiting for a story?! We can't let 'im off the hook.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Must have decided not to kiss and tell.

At least it looks like that tinnie doesn't also have a carpeted wood deck that also need replacement!

root beer guy

Seaman Apprentice
the story-

the story-

Do tell. With a name like "Root Beer Guy" it's got to be good. Wished I'd have thought of a name that cool.

*sigh* ......I can never tell if someone is being sarcastic online or not. the name comes from me being a root beer snob. yes, you read it right. micro brews, specialty ingredients, etc.

I can't reply very fast on here, I work days and the computer at work won't let me log into the site, because I have "beer" in my screen name, and that is a blocked word on the computer at work. So I can only log on in the later evening.

Anyway- the story so far:

My father in law inhereted this boat about seven years ago when his dad died. he used it a few times, and then "put it in storage".

"storage" to him meant leaving it out in the field behind the pole barn unprotected, and tossing the motor under the trailer he lives in because "its always real dry under there."

we got the boat as a "present" to us, since he and his wife stiffed us on our wedding eight months earlier. we were told it was in perfect condition, and there wasn't anything wrong with it.

as time went on, things kept coming up to prevent us from picking it up. it would rain, and he didn't want to go get it then, etc. each time it got cancelled we would find out a little more he would say was "just a minor deal", like it needed tires for the trailer.....but he had just changed the bearings and the lights on it. we eventually found out he lied about both- the light wiring was wrapped with duct tape (no kidding) and the bearing buddies were filled with water when I took them off.

all the keel rubber was spilt in two. the trailer was rusty, the winch was seized and rusty ("might want to replace that rope too") the trailer had obviously been in a crash, because the bolt pattern in the last rung did not match the first three- someone had welded it back on UPSIDE DOWN.

the boat itself was filled with years of garbage. the land owner where he had stored it (his mother) had covered the inside with mothball crystals because she was worried about mice. that is why we named the boat stinky. "I'm going to go work on stinky before I call it a night.", "okay, wash your hands before you eat anything."

the carpet was rotten, pulled that up to find out all the wood was rotten. pulled that up to find the styrofoam blocks were now home to thousands upon thousands of carpenter ants. the seats were full of mold, the locker was filled with garbage, and the live well......dear lord......I'm embarrassed to say this......the guy noticed that it filled with water when it rained, so he drilled a hole in it to let the water out. straight out the bottom.

the transom you have seen. it was missing a bolt when we got it, and he said, and I quote this; "you probably should replace that bolt thats missing, but don't tighten it too much, you don't want to crush anything." when I went to pull it out, I found out, of the six bolts, one was missing, two were loose, and three of then snapped off when I tried to take them out. all of them were rusted beyond recognition, most the the bolt itself was eaten away, like a bite mark was taken out of the side of each.

the outboard took 35 tries to start (not the "six pulls" he promised) and the reverse gear doesn't work. I pulled the cover off to find all the insulation was covered with mold.

there's probably more, but that's all I can write right now.

I have since completed the trailer rebuild, I'll post that later in the trailer section.

today I just bought the exterior grade plywood for the transom, and am about to stick her together.

wish me luck-

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Re: the story-

hey I have one of those!!!
not the boat the father inlaw.:facepalm:

chips ahoey

Recruit

I love the back story, it made my wife giggle she said that it sounded like my father. A least you have a good project on your hands. keep us posted lets see more pics of the boat what is it?

McGR

Personally, I like to think that mine was moldier.

paparoof

Hey that IS a good story.

But it's only the first chapter. The beauty of aluminum boats is that (unless a previous owner put pre-treated wood in it) the hull is probably fine and all you have to do is gut it and replace the interior and you have a brand new boat!

What kind of boat is it?

lmsmith

Seaman

*sigh* ......I can never tell if someone is being sarcastic online or not. the name comes from me being a root beer snob. yes, you read it right. micro brews, specialty ingredients, etc....

Yeah, I was just trying to be silly. I like the name, for real, look at mine. When I joined I sat there for 5 minutes and tried to think of something cool that wasn't taken. All I could come up with was my initials and last name.

Good story, I have one just like it except it was a car. When she's all done you'll look back at the memory of how you get her and laugh. Right now it's a lot of work, I know I'm doing it myself, but I think it'll be worth it.

halfmoa

Ensign

I know precicely how you feel....precicely.

halfmoa