1979 Crestliner Norseman D.C. 19'

Bluefin 19

Cadet
Hi, This is my first time posting here, I currently own a 1989 Blue Fin Sportsman, 19'. It's a project boat, with no running engine, I/O. I've removed the floor, with the hopes of finding an engine and finishing the rest of the boat this winter. With this in mind, I came across a 19' Crestline Norseman, which I can make a descent trade for. I'm told the boat does run, but has a issue with spark. The floor has one soft spot, so i'm sure it would need replaced soon. It's basically another project, but I think I'ts a step ahead of the Blue Fin, and I like the Crestliner better. I'm trying to set up a boat for trolling lake Michigan. The Crestliner has a cuddy with two tall captains chairs, it would be just about right for me. My question is about the hull of either boat, if they are welded or rivited? I don't believe the Blue Fin is. Plus any pros or cons on either boat if anybody cares to weigh in. Either way, I'm sure I will have questions in the future. I have checked out the site pretty well, and I'm blown away at the amount of info. available. Thanks in advance!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Crestliner Norseman D.C. 19'

What motor/drive is in the Crestliner? Reputation-wise anyway, a Crestliner is miles ahead of your Blue Fin.

Bluefin 19

Cadet

The Crestliner has a 140hp OMC, I'm waiting for the make and model of the motor and drive. There is another thread with pics, with I believe is the same boat, and the drive looks the same. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=463199. Hopefully I did that right. As soon as I have the numbers I'll post them. Thanks for the response!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

An OMC is rarely a good idea. Been out of business for over a decade and parts and service are getting hard to find.

Bluefin 19

Cadet

That is what I've been told. I guess my thought process works like this. If I can get a better boat, that actually runs, I can use it in some larger inland lakes for the rest of the summer/fall, and see what it's all about. Then rebuild the boat over the winter, with or without a working motor/drive. If it's running ok, them I'm good to go for a while, until I get stranded 5 miles out, ugh, no fun! If I keep the Blue fin or I get the Crestliner I'm really curious what it would take to put a new engine/drive on either boat? I think they would be a very similar set up. I'm also starting to wonder if the Blue Fin is even worth the time? I could part it out, sell the trailer, and if I can't find someone who wants it, scrap the hull, and it seems like that could get me close to a used engine/drive. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks ezmobee!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What motor is in the BlueFin?

An OMC Stringer (which is what that is) is definitely tough to get parts for. I'd hate to see you have to end your boating season cuz some part broke that you were stuck waiting to show up on eBay. That's a really cool looking hull though and might be worth a repower conversion. Check out jasoutside's islander thread. He's swapping out a Stringer for a 4.3 Mercruiser.

Bluefin 19

Cadet

The BlueFin, I believe, has a Ford inline 4-cylinder. 2.5 or so. The head was cracked when I bought it, and it's sat outside for 3 years, without the head. The outdrive is , again a OMC, model number: 232AMFTC. That's what I have in my records at least, I'll check for sure tomorrow. Where on the outdrive , should I look for the model number? I really like the look of the crestliner. With either boat, to do what I want to do, and be safe, I know I need a new drive system. I'll definitly check out jasoutside's islander thread. Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Probably a 2.3L OMC Cobra.