Starting a rest on a Glastron ssv-177 have a few questions

jwalsh66

Cadet
So I am in the process of taking the deck out to check for rot in the stringers and was wondering exactly what I should be looking for. Also when taking the deck out is it OK to cut the fiberglass tabs along the sides that are currently holding the deck In seeing as I have to re tab it in anyways I will post some pictures of the transom and engine bay when I get home from work but it looks as if the transom has already been doubled up and glassed around the edges but not in the hole for the drive is this suitable? Or should I cut the reinforcing piece out and redo it with glass all the way around including the hole? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting a rest on a Glastron ssv-177 have a few questions

From your other thread I don't believe the transom has ever been touched as two layers of 3/4 is the industry standard especially for a cantilevered engine. Some close up pics of the transome drive hole and pics of the drill shavings that come out will be the most help, so the pros can give you the best help.

jwalsh66

Cadet

What size bit and how deep. Do I drill on those samples? I just don't want to cause any damage that will cost me time and money. And yeah that is a crack in the transom it doesn't go all the way through it just the first 2 plys of the 3|4 is this going to be an issue? Or can I glue it back together and glass over it? And lastly I was thinking about taking a few samples up the length of the stringers. Is this a good idea?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

What size bit and how deep. Do I drill on those samples? I just don't want to cause any damage that will cost me time and money. And yeah that is a crack in the transom it doesn't go all the way through it just the first 2 plys of the 3|4 is this going to be an issue? Or can I glue it back together and glass over it? And lastly I was thinking about taking a few samples up the length of the stringers. Is this a good idea?

sample all you can get too. You can use a 3/8" bit and set a stop on it to make sure you don't go all the way thru the transom. Post back and lets see what the shavings look like. You can do the same for the stringers. If all is dry then you can seal the test holes with some thickened resin or even some 3M 5200. If the shaving are wet or mushy then you won't have to worry about the holes you drilled, they'll go away on the restore.

CW

jwalsh66

Cadet

so i drilled those holes and everything came out ok. can someone take a look at that crack to the right of that picture in the engine bay. the stringers look to be in great shape. and as for the stop... i didnt get the message before i went to town. i accidentally drilled through a stringer. How do I find this? The only bit of darker chips I could find were in the inside piece of the transom where it looks like it is delaminated. Other than that nice dry clean chips. All of the floor is almost out now can I cut through the "tabs" along the Edges since I have to tab it in when I put the new deck in? And for the deck when I do get around to putting it back in this weekend do i glue it? Screw it? Also do i need marine grade plywood or will treated work okay? 3|8" or 3|4" plywood? Lastly is there anything else I should replace as preventative maintenance while the deck is off? I'll post pictures of the chips, crack, and where the transom is delaminated when I get home from work around 2.

sqbtr

You need to post some pics on this thread.

Get a close up of the transom crack and the shavings and location where they came out. We're all pretty lazy around here and don't want to go chasing other threads to see pics. If there is any rot at all in the transom, now is the time to replace.

jwalsh66

Cadet

ok here we go guys here are the pictures. we have a picture of the delaminated transom, the crack in the transom (this picture is sideways, the left side is the top), another small crack i found in the transom (above the hole for the drive) i just found while i was taking a picture of the first crack (picture is sideways again), the drill hole in the transom the chips came from, and the drill chips. let me know what you think. any and all advice is appreciated.IMG_20110824_143213.jpgIMG_20110824_1433141.jpgIMG_20110823_1641572.jpgIMG_20110824_143019.jpgIMG_20110823_185807.jpg

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your transom needs to be replaced. I can't really tell on the stringers.

I would measure the thickness of your transom all the way around the key hole, your new transom will need to be the same.

I used some good ext wood from HD with very little voids instead of MGP. MGP is the best to use. To secure your new deck, you will need to encase it in glass first then you can either use pl to secrue it to the stringers or resin or epoxy. Resin alone can be brittle,You can screw it down with ss screws and cover screws and fill hoes with 5200 if you want .

jwalsh66

Cadet

do i need to replace the entire transom? or just the inside piece?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would replace it all. One piece will be far stronger. Then you'll know it's right.

sqbtr

Time to do some reading in this section, search transom replacement.

Lots of options open to you at this point, if you are replacing the transom your choice of powertrains opens up. I myself am partial to the old AQ series, but, I may be biased. While you are replacing you can look for a parts boat for a doner engine and drive. Take your time and make informed decisions.

jwalsh66

Cadet

so let me get this straight seeing as i have never replaced a transom to this point in my life. i will be cutting a big hole in the back of the boat and fiberglassing in a new one? if so exactly how big of a hole are we talking? the transom i have now is 2 pieces of wood laminated together ,as you can see in the picture above, so when i do the transom do i need 2 pieces? or just 1 say 1" thick. because now its probably almost 2 inches of wood. is it ok for a transom to only be 1" thick?

jwalsh66

Cadet

and as for the motor options. i still want to go with a small block chevy. i was thinking 350 or 327. but will i have to beef up the stringers in the back? i guess has anyone ever heard or seen this in a boat like this? or is this just a rediculous idea? wait... i just had a light go on lol if im replacing the transom can i switch this over to mercruiser instead of v/p? i have a 228 hp 1.5:1 ratio v8 out drive with all the hydraulics and pump?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

so let me get this straight seeing as i have never replaced a transom to this point in my life. i will be cutting a big hole in the back of the boat and fiberglassing in a new one? if so exactly how big of a hole are we talking? the transom i have now is 2 pieces of wood laminated together ,as you can see in the picture above, so when i do the transom do i need 2 pieces? or just 1 say 1" thick. because now its probably almost 2 inches of wood. is it ok for a transom to only be 1" thick?

You need to cut out the inner transom. You do not cut a huge hole in the back of your boat. You will leave the outer glass and just dig out the wood from the inside of the transom.
More than likely your transom is a total of 2 inches thick, wood and glass. You have to make it the same so everything fits together properly.

I agree with sqbtr, do alot of research, tons of info on here.
Look up friscoboater for a great read and a step by step on video.
Here is his link, check it out.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460&highlight=friscoboater

sqbtr

That boat would be a rocketship with a V8. As produceguy says do NOT cut the outside transom off, read some of the transom replacement threads.

You will have to do some finish glass work on the outside, but you can downsize the hole for a mercruiser, especially if you have the patrs already.

jwalsh66

Cadet

Produceguy thanks for that link it is so helpful!! Friscoboater took so many pictures it was great!! Sqbtr. Honestly who doesn't love a boat that moonlights as a rocket ship? Lol but anyways what kind of tools are we talking about to dig that transom out?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Produceguy thanks for that link it is so helpful!! Friscoboater took so many pictures it was great!! Sqbtr. Honestly who doesn't love a boat that moonlights as a rocket ship? Lol but anyways what kind of tools are we talking about to dig that transom out?

Angle grinder, chisels, pry bars, hammer, scrapers, basically whatever works for you, but the grinder is a must. (24 grit)

Grind the fiberglass tabbing loose all the way around (from the inside of course) and start prying. From the look of the wood in the top view, it won't be too hard.

jwalsh66

Cadet

Now should I go through both pieces of wood down to the fiberglass skin? And then build a new transom and put it in or am I just replacing the smaller inside reinforcing piece? And also I'm in the process of taking the floor out still... Can I cut through the tabs?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yoy should replace all the wood on the inside of the transom. It's all got to go.
You can cut thru the tabbing, it's just glass but leave a little lip so you don't get to close to the hull and cut thru. You will grind out the lip later.

jwalsh66

Cadet

Do I need to cut the stringers back seeing as they go all the way to the transom? Or do i just do my best to work around them?