3M 5200 on Aluminum?

heyman

Cadet
I see a lot of posts recommending 3M 5200. When I read the package it mentions wood and fiberglass, not metal. Package for 4200 mentions metal but I do see a lot of posts regarding using 5200 for rivets, etc. Any problems using it on Aluminum?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 3M 5200 on Aluminum?

Are you going to apply it to the exterior of your hull to try to stop a leak?

heyman

Cadet

Yes. I've been trying to locate a leak and I thought I might try it in a couple of spots where it looks like there is even the smallest gap like along the edge of keel, etc.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yes. I've been trying to locate a leak and I thought I might try it in a couple of spots where it looks like there is even the smallest gap like along the edge of keel, etc.

Locate the leak and repair properly.. anything else is just a band-aid repair and your blindly thinking you can put 5200 or 4200 over a leak is only a feel good repair and not a proper fix.

Find your leak and fix Proper..

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What YD is trying to say is that smearing goop on the outside of a hull rarely works and if it does work it is only very temporary.

Fill your bilge with water and look for the leak on the outside, if it's small enough that you can't find it apply Gluvit to the inside of all of your seams and rivets below the water line. If it's a rivet leaking rebuck or replace the rivet.

heyman

Cadet

Yacht Dr. I know you are right. I have investigated just about everything else for source of small amount of water. My thought was if I temporarily sealed a couple of question areas and the water stopped, then I would know that was the source and do proper fix. I'm hoping to not dismantle entire boat just yet. Although I know I may have to at some point.

heyman

Cadet

Fill your bilge with water and look for the leak on the outside, if it's small enough that you can't find it apply Gluvit to the inside of all of your seams and rivets below the water line. If it's a rivet leaking rebuck or replace the rivet.[/QUOTE]

I have tried water in bilge. Although I may need to try different slope because I cant get enough water in to reach this point on keel. I have I/O in place and don't want to get water up to starter.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yacht Dr. I know you are right. I have investigated just about everything else for source of small amount of water. My thought was if I temporarily sealed a couple of question areas and the water stopped, then I would know that was the source and do proper fix. I'm hoping to not dismantle entire boat just yet. Although I know I may have to at some point.

When investigating .. you actually want the water to come in. You Dont want to temp fix .. you FIX ..

You would repair that leak..then move on to the next one ..sometimes its hard to find but you can find it.

When it gets tricky for that last 2 or 3 small leaks .. use baby powder .. spread it all around and see your wet "butts" ( *hint* ;) ).

YD.