How Would You Floor The Inside of My Boat.

lmsmith

Seaman
I'm trying to think ahead a little and I'm trying to figure out how to floor the inside of my boat. I'm not sure if I'm even going to do it, but I'm giving it some thought. Right now I can't figure it out. The V is so deep I can't figure out how I would construct it or get a flat, or close to it, floor in the boat. I'm also wondering how to work around the benches doing this. I've read about using foam underneath and all, but with that deep V it sure seems like that'd be a bounch of foam or something. I like the way lakelover did his, but his V isn't quite so deep. His picture is the one with the foam (his thread can be viewed here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309879. That's the best photo of mine I have right now, if you want a better one or want to see more let me know.

Should I put a floor in? How would you do it? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• P8170014 (960x1280).jpg
    P8170014 (960x1280).jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
  • w_2754[1].jpg
    w_2754[1].jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: How Would You Floor The Inside of My Boat.

You Really need to keep ALL your posts in one thread. It's very hard to understand your whole project when you have multiple threads on the same boat. especially when you have pics on separate posts.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as this is a tinny.....im going to stay out and let the tinny guys take care of this one....

but ......just a thought.......everything in boats is simple......do not over think anything....just do it

lmsmith

Seaman

You Really need to keep ALL your posts in one thread. It's very hard to understand your whole project when you have multiple threads on the same boat. especially when you have pics on separate posts.

My apologies. I was under the impression that it was better to ask questions on seperate posts and then roll it up into one post concerning the complete overhaul. Also, I didn't feel like I was getting very many hits on my overhaul thread.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It's no big foul Imsmith, just a very slight faux pas.;)

... and I think you're right about generating more immediate answers with a specific question thread.

I like your question, it shows you want to do it right! A raw rookie would grab up some 2x4's and a couple sheets of plywood and make a termite banquet.

You can frame your deck out of aluminum angle or square tubing and blind rivets. It just so happens that I'm taking my boat apart to change from carpet to vinyl and will pull the sheet of plywood for the main deck tomorrow. I'll take a pic of the framing because mine is a deep V too and post it here for you tomorrow or the next day depending if I strain my little gizzard getting that piece out by myself.:D

lmsmith

Seaman

I had a chance to think about how I was posting and the information I was recieving from different post. Hands down the individual question type posts are getting a lot more responses than my main restoration post. I've decided to let my main restoration post sort of die and I'll pick it back up once the project is done so it can be available for future newbies, sort of a lessons learned type thing.

Woodonglass, if you have any input on how you feel I could put a floor in my boat the right way without my knees being up in my throat then I would appreciate it. I realize my questions are super basic, but this forum is basically all I got to get this done and I've never done this sort of thing before. I don't have a ton of money, but I have enough to do it right the first time. That's where I need your help. I would like to minimize the "I did this and it didn't work so I have to redo it" thing from happening.

Moderators, if I'm I'm way off base and doing things wrong by posting the way I mentioned above then let me know.

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being a tinnie makes flooring easier. Go and look at www.tinboats.net. Members there will use square aluminum tubing or channel to flatten out the bottom. In the middle of the bottom there will usually be piece of aluminum to brace from the floor to what you are building. The space you have created can then be filled with foam(like the second picture)and whatever wiring you are trying to hide(run it in PVC tubes under thre floor). I would recommend going with aluminum. Its easy to work with. You can pop rivet it together and you will be amazed at how strong it is(harbor freight has a nice hyd riviter, it will save you hands).It is lighter than wood, it will never ROT!!!!and won't let you down. If you decide to use wood(for transom or whatever) don't use treated wood!!!!!!!!!!!Whatever that green solution is doesn't like aluminum at all. PreviousOwners that have gone that route start finding sever pitting in the aluminum after a few years. Instead seal all wood with 2-3 coats of fiberglass resin. Water won't stand a chance. By all means keep plugging at it. At the end you wil have a great boat that YOU built!and the neighborhood will probably come to you for abvice.

lmsmith

Seaman

I figured I'd probably go with aluminum supports. What I'm wondering is if I make the floor full length from side to side, where the entire bottom is flat, it would cause your knees to be way high. If I add a seat to the benches that would help, but it still seems like your knees would be high. Also, it already seems to be sort of a tight fit under the dash for me, adding a floor I think would make that worse. What do you think? Should I make a floor that makes the enitire bottom flat, or just a small flat section in the bottom? I hope that makes since.

Also, do you think the original boat would have had a floor or not? If not, then I'm going with out one. I've also thought about possibly doing some sort of snap in carpet instead like the newer boats have.

I attached a picture that might explain what I'm thinking. Is one floor right and one wrong? Does it make a difference, is it personal preference?

Attachments

• Untitled (2).jpg
    Untitled (2).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It doesn't really make a difference Smitty, it's all personal preference.

I think the one of the main things about adding a floor is for the floatation foam for safety purposes.

I think adding seats would be a good option and make it a lot more comfortable.

If leg room is an issue while driving, you could just install the floor from the back of the front seat to the transom.

I took some pics of my deck framing today and will post them here later on today.

Well here's the pic Smitty

DSC02206.jpg

You could fabricate something like this using 1 1/2" angle back to back since you boat is a modified V toward the back and 2 angles with "studs" toward the front where your vee gets deeper.