how about theese i jouist for stringers

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
I would cut the lower half off.
trim to fit boat and glass in.
they are very stroung I think 2 would work well for main deck suport - on a 19' cuddy
with 1/2 ply for all the other bracing'

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: how about theese i jouist for stringers

Not a good idea. Very difficult to glass, made from mdf chip board, not sure on the kind of glue used to produce them. I'd stick with what experience has proven to work. But... it's your boat and you're free to experiment as you wish. I'm just sayin I wouldn't do it for the reasons stated.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Dont forget that the strength comes from the engineering of the joist as you see it. If you remove the lower half, you are compromising the integritiy of the stucture and it wont be as strong

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i can see that you are looking for stregnth......and a manufactured beam is very strong.......BUT.

its osb and will fall apart in your boat.......engennered beams are not made with water proof glue.....the moisture....will make them usless in a short while.

plywood on edge.....glassed in....will support far more than you think it will.....its cheaper too

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, they're not an exterior grade glue, and the OSB is crappy stuff anyway. If you could find some made with real exterior grade plywood and cut them down so you could use the top and bottom flange and double up the plywood web they would be killer!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that top flange would be fantastic for glassing and decking....just a little rounding on the bottom of the flange and bingo

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could always just make your own out of the proper plywood and a wood cap.

Use exterior grade plywood then grab a piece of wood for the cap and run it down a table saw with a Dado blade (or router), epoxy pieces together then glass. Same concept, same result. A little more work but it's going to last longer.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking the osb version, becouse they are ready avalible and free.
You guys are right osb is not water proof by any means.
the older I joist when they first came out were made from plywood I may try and find some.....
or just do like sje0123 says