Help with Keel rub repair

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice
First a little history. From what I can tell I'm the third owner of this boat. It has been pretty well cared for, but does have a little floor rot and the transom is starting to go. I plan to tackle everything as the season closes, but my concern is the keel right now.

I cleaned all the lake scum buildup off the hull and found a spot on the lower part of the keel that all the gel coat has rubbed off from continual beaching. This spot is below the ski locker and has been rubbed enough that light shines through. The afflicted area does not seem to be thin in anyway from poking it with my finger and a punch. In fact it feels very solid. Should I be concerned that I can see light coming through it. There are not holes in it at all. Its just there is no gel coat and the sun comes through the ski locker and creates a "window like" effect. I will post pictures later as I'm getting ready for work and have to wrap this up.

I was thinking of grinding back the area and building up inside the ski locker with CSM and woven Roving and then building the outside up with just CSM to give it a little more thickness. it still feels plenty strong and the boat has seen 3 foot wakes at 30 mph this year and it hasn't flexed or cracked.

Let me know what you think

I looked at it all again closer today when i wasn't in a rush. I think it is as least 3/16 to 1/4 thick. The only reason I am seeing light through it is because there is no gel coat and the glass was wetted out very well and turned opaque in the process. Most of the scrape is shown in the closeup shot, but the scrape does continue on and is about 58" in length. The deepest is in the closeup as the keel starts to turn flat and is right under the ski locker.

Alex

Last edited:

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 16' Glastron/Conroy Keel repair ADDED PICS

bump. I edited and added pics.

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice

Just another bump. I hope I'm breaking any rules with the bumps. I just haven't gotten any replies. Is my post too long? Calling Oops. Is Oops around. I know he can help. HAHAHAHA!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oops here.......hi ....welcome to i boats !

sorry about you getting no responce......a guy named hailey has allmost the same problem with the thread name the same so we must have missed yours.

im a little confused with your pics
it allmost looks like someone has painted the glass with epoxy....(due to the color )

ok....proper fix.
from the ski locker.
grind the area (scuff it with a grinder) and glass in a strip of 1708 down the keel....

from the out side....
grind off the gellcoat 3 inches either side of the open glass.
scuff the area...clean with acetone.

glass the keel with 2 layers of 1.5 oz csm. (this can be glassed at the same time)

after full cure......sand flat.....and shape. dont get crazy with the sanding here....just knock off the rough high spots

mix up some gellcoat paste.....gellcoat and cabosil....or gellcoat and milled fibers. and screed it on the area with a bondo spreader.
wait till that cures and fair that.....(just knock off the high spots and the ridges from the spreader) and paint some gellcoat over that area....when the gellcoat is tackey....take a bondo spreader and spread more gellcoat over the brush marks....they will magically dissappear.

wait till that cures.....and sand that starting at 320 grit all the way up to 1500 grit....then polish.

it sounds like a lot of work.....but its not.....just lots of steps

total time is about 4 hrs labor and 30 mins each cure time.

there ya go bud

cheers
oops

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Oops! I knew you would pop in eventually. This will be my first repair. As far as I know that is the original glass work from Glastron in 1986. It doesn't look like it has ever been repaired in the past. I have a friend who has done a lot of autobody glassing so at least he can help me with the basics of wetting out and mixing the resin. Other than that I think I can handle it. Doesn't sound hard, I just have to get the materials and time. Its 110 deg here everyday by 10:00 AM.

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Oops,

I don't want to sound like I am trying to go against your advice, but I was curious if I could sub for some materials I have around here. I have access to some really thick cloth. I think it is 18-20 oz. It is used for a very specific aircraft that we will say has very high strength and specific requirements when it comes to materials. It is mainly used on low observable (stealth) structural panels. I was thinking I would cut it in a way that would put the weave pattern at 45* to the center line of the boat in order to get a similar strength pattern of biax. Any input?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i would need to see the materials......a lot of aircraft materials are of a different nature...like carbon fiber ....graphite or kevlar.....they are made to be used with epoxy resins.

if it is just a standard fiberglass weave...by all means......however make sure you lay the chopped strand matt down first.....this is very important....the woven or other cloth type materials need the csm between the substraight and the cloth for a good bond

jacobhenery

Recruit

I am looking for business related to boat repair service and other parts... eventually I will start with cleaning washing service and all detailing issues, I am a certified engineer with high class certification. I really likes your site for collecting more information.

Ra3eiBa7er

Recruit

I also have keel problem, it is cracked and leaking water is it repairable? how to do it and how long will the repair last before it crack again
To see the damage here is the link at youtube