1965 MFG Runabout transom

papajoe2558

Cadet
bought this boat, does anyone know anything about this kind of transom, never seen anything like it before. Its loose and i would like to look into how to fix it... can anyone help me?? thanks

-papa joe

100_5537.jpg
100_5536.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 MFG Runabout transom

That is NOT a factory design on that transom, that's somebody's halfazz attempt to reinforce a rotten transom.

You should tear all of that crap out and head over to the restoration forum to see how to properly remove and install a transom.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree. My boat was in a similar condition. Somebody got the bright idea that screwing pressure treated lumber into the old rotten stringers without even glassing them in was a good idea. Let me just say, it's not.

There are right ways and wrong ways to build a strong boat. Generally speaking it is smart to think the manufacturer did it the right way. Get rid of all the garbage others have used to try and reinforce it and replace what the factory put in there when it was first built. If you restore it to factory specs and do it right it will give you all the strength you need and last for decades.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Yep the 2x4's will need to be removed. We need pics of the entire Stern of the boat from the outside and inside from a more distant perspective as well. If the Transom is this far gone it's a pretty good bet the Stingers are going to need to be investigated as well. Are you really interested in doing a total restoration on this boat? You could be looking at over $1K to do a proper repair!

papajoe2558

Cadet

while taking some more pictures i had an idea. could it be that someone had just tried to rebuilt a row boat and through a motor on it? or possibly maybe it held a 10hp and they tried to upgrade it themselves? that would explain why im having such a hard time finding other boats like it. idk kinda at a lost with each turn... if any other pictures are needed ill be home all day an have no problem running out and taking more.
thanks
-papa joe

100_5551.jpg

100_5554.jpg

100_5557.jpg

100_5560.jpg

100_5563.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Try again, Pics did not make it.... Check the link in my signature on how to post your pics.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW!!!! Now that's an unusual looking boat!!! Is that foam between wooden stringers on the deck? It appears to be a 18 - 25 HP 1956 Evenrude Speedwin motor?? Are there any Markings inside or outside the boat to give any indication of the MFG? What is the Length? How wide is she at the beam?

papajoe2558

Cadet

WOW!!!! Now that's an unusual looking boat!!! Is that foam between wooden stringers on the deck? It appears to be a 18 - 25 HP 1956 Evenrude Speedwin motor?? Are there any Markings inside or outside the boat to give any indication of the MFG? What is the Length? How wide is she at the beam?

Tell me about it!! It looked like an amazing project boat at the begining. what i got off the motor is...whispering power aquasonic evinrude, big twin electric 25 hp. and about the foam im not sure exactly what to call it. to me it looks like fiberglass..i took more pics so you could take a better look.

100_5566.jpg

100_5565.jpg

the registation card says 13ft long

the only indication of the MFG is from the title card. upon further investigation we found a sticker on the boat saying Molded Fiberglass Comapany Union City, PA

is that where the MFG comes from...?? Molded Fiber Glass?!?!?!

Last edited:

papajoe2558

Cadet

while im at it here's more pics ive taken of the project..havent given her a name yet but that will come within time :)

100_5569.jpg

100_5571.jpg

100_5574.jpg

100_5568.jpg

100_5571.jpg

any requests? hahaha

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Again, all I can say is WOW!!! It is WAY KOOL!!!!!! It's a MFG. Take a look here....
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/MFG
The 2x4's in that transom ARE original and it was designed just like that. You MUST get rid of that modern Steering wheel and find a vintage looking one on ebay. I can get you a parts source for the motor etc... You have a real GEM there!!!!!

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a pretty cool looking rig, no doubt. I'm with Woodonglass on this one, try and restore it as close to original as possible. That's truly unique...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Well hush my mouth!!! Who'da ever thunk a boat builder would ever design a transom like that!!!

Sorry for the misinformation about removing the 2x4s, but when you hangout around here you see some pretty weird homemade contraptions/stuff that some people try to pawn off as a fix.

papajoe2558

Cadet

Well hush my mouth!!! Who'da ever thunk a boat builder would ever design a transom like that!!!

Sorry for the misinformation about removing the 2x4s, but when you hangout around here you see some pretty weird homemade contraptions/stuff that some people try to pawn off as a fix.

in the defense of... as of last night the only pics i had up were of just the transom itself...

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Um... Yeah... Me too...

That said, you have to have one of the most unique rigs I've seen! I'm with the other guys. Restore this gem back to it's original state and you will have a good looking and unique ride!!

papajoe2558

Cadet

but with that being said... we are throwing ideas back and forth of what we are gonna do with it. my father wants to get new seats which i think is INSANE but he has a really bad back and them seats wouldnt work for him (not for the fishing hours we are looking foreward into putting in them seats next summer!) so im thinking of looking into really nice bench stadium cushions that the soccer moms like to often use lol.

the standing surface of the boat is currently like eight uneven pieces of plywood which we are gonna drop down to two long pieces, then refiberglass.

other then that nothing is really definitly decided. we would like to add more to the dash; radio, speedometer, fish finder... IF we'd be able to get it in without causing any damage to the wood.

But besides the motor it looks like everything looks original. we are still kinda sorting through specs and info about the boat. but amazingly stoaked for this project and cant wait to get it sorted and start working on it.

more to come very soon.
-pheen763 (son of papajoe2558)

Decker83

Commander

This boat is totally Awesome. I really love the wood in this boat. What ever you do, I hope you can keep as much of the wood as posible.. That's what makes this boat so awesome. I bet if you do some research you will be able to find a clamp on chair for your dad to use and also be able to remove it when not in use.
Good luck with the project.

Kent

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep it coming! This one looks pretty interesting! When it comes to looking at options, I know what you mean. My head is spinning from all the options I'm looking at. I have one major benefit you don't have. My boat is not a classic. It's just old! So I don't have to worry about restoring its original luster. I just have to make it look cool. :)

As cool as it would be to restore it to it's original state, it still needs to be usable to you. Time spent fishing with your Dad is more valuable by far than an original restoration. Here's hoping you can find a way to get it as close as possible to its original state and still make it usable to you and your family! And I can relate to the whole bad back thing unfortunately...

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Same for me.....never seen anything like that in my life. I stand corrected.