can I replace my aluminum bolts with ss ones on my Starcraft transom?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most the bolts were aluminum to my surprise holding the wooden transom on. They all broke off in the process of removing them. Why weren't ss bolts used? It's a 1959 aluminum 15 ft Jet

kfa4303

Banned
Re: can I replace my aluminum bolts with ss ones on my Starcraft transom?

Hi jtrom. You can use SS bolt in your transom, but you want to get marine grade SS. Places like West Marine and lots of online sources sell them. They're not the cheapest, but they're well worth it. Be sure to seal all of the through hull fittings with 3M 5200 and let it cure for a couple days, or even a week if you have the time. Technically, you're not supposed to use dissimilar metals (aluminum vs. SS) to prevent electrolysis, but you shouldn't have any problems if you use the 5200 properly as it will more or less keep the two metals apart. The strength SS offers vs aluminum is a nice little advantage too. SS wasn't used in the past for cost, convenience and reaction reasons. Check the forums for transom replacements and you'll find tons of posts and virtually all of them use SS bolts. Good luck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Stainless steel bolts from your local hardware store will do just fine if seated with 5200. You are in fresh water and I would save a ton of money and go local. There is a whole lot less adverse effects if you are in fresh water and the reaction takes longer from the ss to aluminum.

The transom is only lightly bolted in since the motor also hold it in place.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Stainless steel bolts from your local hardware store will do just fine if Properly seated with 5200 Fast cure. You are in fresh water and I would save a ton of money and go local. There is a whole lot less adverse effects if you are in fresh water and the reaction takes longer from the ss to aluminum.

The transom is only lightly bolted in since the motor also hold it in place.

.. Fixed it for ya Bob ;) ..

YD.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

.. Fixed it for ya Bob ;) ..

YD.

Care to explain how to properly seat a SS transom bolt with 5200? I am about to do a bunch of them, and would like to get it right.

Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Coat the bolt with 5200 and make sure that the head (usually the part on the outside is coated where it contacts the aluminum. Do not let the head turn (actually it should be seated against a washer also coated). Turn the nut on the wood side so the bolt does not scrape into the aluminum. The 5200 will keep it sealed up fine.

OH yeah Thanks YD ;)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Coat the bolt with 5200 and make sure that the head (usually the part on the outside is coated where it contacts the aluminum. Do not let the head turn (actually it should be seated against a washer also coated). Turn the nut on the wood side so the bolt does not scrape into the aluminum. The 5200 will keep it sealed up fine.

OH yeah Thanks YD ;)

And how to clean up the excess??? I assume I should do this before paint?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Care to explain how to properly seat a SS transom bolt with 5200? I am about to do a bunch of them, and would like to get it right.

Thanks.

Bob put it ON SPOT .. Follow the directions he gave .. do not turn the coated bolts .. just the nuts.

OH yeah Thanks YD ;)

Exactly :) IN fact you should use this method for All fasteners regardless of Alum or Fiberglass.

And how to clean up the excess??? I assume I should do this before paint?

Dry paper towel followed by a damp mineral spirits paper towel followed by a dry paper towel :) ...

YD.

PS. dont be afraid of a little spit/saliva on a finger in certain applications ;) ...

fishrdan

Admiral

Dry paper towel followed by a damp mineral spirits paper towel followed by a dry paper towel :) ...

Rubbing alcohol works too, less stinky than mineral spirits.

kfa4303

Banned

Ditto. It's pretty sticky, but it's well worth the effort. I believe they even sell it at Lowes/HD and some auto parts stores too. One toothpaste tube size should be plenty. A little goes a long way.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you to all, I think I got it.

While we are taking about sealing, what can I use to seal around the splashwell seams? This would need to be painted.

kfa4303

Banned

Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to use the same 5200. It's a sort of marine caulk that stays flexible once cured, so it would work well on the splash well, just apply it in a nice even bead and keep it nice and clean.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Make sure its Fast cure 5200 .. the regular stuff will drip all over the place..

Regular 5200 is for "special" applications .. 4200 or 5200 fast is still paintable and will not drip or sag as much.

YD.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you EVER want to get the bolts back out, be sure all mating surfaces are coated with 5200.

Otherwise, the electrolysis causes the ss and al to literally WELD together. There will be no way to break them loose later on.

I had to throw away aluminum cylinder jugs on a seadoo 787 engine because the ss bolts had a thicker "neck" than the threaded part, for maybe the last 1" before the hex cap....they welded themselves into the jugs. I had to toss them and buy replacements.

And, since I had already ruined them, I decided to take them to a friend's machine shop and try to pound them, heat them with acetylene torch, mill out the centers, etc. Never got a single one of the 12 bolts removed. They were THAT permanently fixed.

So use ss on al, but lube it up REALLY good.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I use the "fast cure" to coat the bolts?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For Bolts .. you can use fast or normal 5200 ..

YD.