Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

A 150 would be a somewhere between way too much fun and crapping my pants. :eek:

I do have a 74 Merc 500 (50hp) that is awaiting it's turn to be worked on. I have already torn it down and started powder coating parts and rebuilding the carbs, but it's on hold until I finish something to bolt it to. With the raised transom, I think that works out about right using the USCG formula for max HP.

Anybody know how fast these hulls typically go? I'm thinking 30-35 MPH, but that's nothing more than a guess.

With the additional weight on board, I'm keeping my seating capacity down to 2 compared to the usual 4 these would have held when new. We'll see how she rides eventually.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I'm not done yet and am considering making a change already.

Sitting in the seat where it is now, it feels too high. The gunwales are about mid thigh. I'm thinking about making a step in the front edge of the rear deck and dropping it down about 6 inches. It currently sits about 10 inches off of the floor. I would loose my storage compartment, But I think it would give a more comfortable feeling of sitting in the boat rather than on top of it.

Your thoughts?

kfa4303

Banned

HI sleeper-6. making great progress. I was sorta thinking the same thing while looking at your pics. I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer to sit a bit lower in the boat too. I think it helps with the center of gravity and adds to the stability a bit. I have a runabout turned fishing boat very similar to yours, and it works fine, but it was built to have a fair amount of weight bow-forward, whereas I now have most of the weight in the rear. I think it affects the performance a bit (little harder to get on plane). Weight distribution and placement is important, and generally speaking a lower, more even distribution of weight is best. If you did a second seat next to your own, you would have sort of a Bass boat set up, with decks for and aft and a sunken midsection for the helm and seating. Good luck!

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I'm aiming for, a single console baby bass boat.

I have been trying to distribute the weight forward where I can. The fuel tank is a good 3ft from the transom now, starting battery is just behind that. The trolling batteries will be flanking the livewell, just in front of the sunken floor area. Hopefully that will help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm really enjoying this build. Great work!

cdentii

Cadet

Awesome build I will be following closely, I too have a runabout that is in need of some restoration.

parrisw

Ensign

Nice work. How much heavier do you think it will be? What are you putting on for power?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Wi
th the additional weight on board, I'm keeping my seating capacity down to 2 compared to the usual 4 these would have held when new. We'll see how she rides eventually
First, I just wanted to say what a great job you've done! Second, having done something similar with a 14' Tinny, I was concerned that you had not considered the extra weight. You have. Just keep mindful of it as you start adding the finishing touches and loading the boat and you should be fine.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to leave you all hanging. It's been a nutty few weeks around here and I haven't gotten to get much work done. If you can't tell by looking at the pictures, I've been working in a bay at my firehouse. It's not the most convenient thing in the world since everything has to be cleaned up and boat put back outside before I leave, but it sure beats working in the driveway. Anyway, with the recent storm and flooding my workspace has become a parking spot for one of the township ambulances. Hopefully by this weekend things will be dried up enough for our guest rig to go back to it's usual home and I can get back to working on stuff.

For power I have a '74 Merc 500 (50 hp) that is awaiting it's turn in to be reassembled. The powerhead and lower unit are good, but the tilt and swivel points were frozen up real bad, and the shift rod is practically eaten away (down to an 1/8" in a spot). I'll make a new shaft out of stainless and press/pin the factory ends on it. I've already disassembled the bracket, cleaned up all the pivot points and powder coated it, but put it on hold until I finish up the boat. Too many projects at one time.

I'll guess I've only added about 50 extra pounds at this point. Since the original deck ran front to back anyway, the only additional structure I've put in is the bulkheads that raise up the front and rear sections (1/2" ply), livewell, and the gunwale reinforcement. The fuel load (6-12 gallons) and main battery are the same. It's still quite light at this point, I can still grab the bottom of the transom and lift the back of the boat off of the trailer if I try.

Additional weight will come from the trolling motor and 2 more batteries (about 150lbs for all 3) I'm guessing I'll be about 200-250 lbs over the original running weight when I'm all done. I know filling the livewell will add about 125 lbs of water, I kept it as low as possible and in the center 1/3 if the boat, so hopefully it will not be too big of an issue.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was able to make more progress this weekend.

I dropped the seat mounting area down about 6 inches. It feels much more comfortable, looks better too. I lost my storage area, but it's a good trade.

I also finished making the bottom and sides of the battery boxes that will flank the livewell. While I was at it, i cut a floor for the storage area I planned in the bow. Once it was all assembles I pulled The sub assembly out and did the whole fillet and glass routine to to stiffen it up and make it waterproof. The live well is in there too. I planned on filling the gap with foam to insulate it so it can used it as a cooler for non fishing days but ran out of foam, so that was it for today.

2107627930053235105vWwuTU_fs_zps59a92845.jpg

2419090280053235105KqYaGI_fs_zps034622f5.jpg

2389400620053235105ZlJbfi_fs_zps089753e5.jpg

2296156460053235105TJTALH_fs_zpsac87718b.jpg

2600536980053235105fRQCfF_fs_zps006c506d.jpg

2238473700053235105pBBxpO_fs_zps0d991ce7.jpg

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

Great planning and execution! When our third kid was born, I converted a Glastron V-153 runabout into a center console. I prefer to stand while underway and used a cooler for seating. Am very impressed with your skill set. Good luck!

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Made some more progress this week.

I was able to get three layers of csm in to the livewell to make it nice and water tight. I a quart of white gelcoat on the way, so I plan on finishing off the inside with that before I seal the fittings in. I have to play with a few test pieces to see how it will look. I'm hoping I can roll or brush it in there because it's an awfully small space to play with a spray gun. High gloss isn't my top priority, I would be happy with a consistent orange peel texture in there, so rolling may work nicely.

I finished foaming the gap between the livewell and the bulkhead structure and made access cutouts for livewell plumbing. The complete front structure is now 95% tabbed into the hull, I have a little left to go do the front storage area and some loose glass to trim off of the edges. I'm going to paint the storage and battery compartments to match the rear bilge area.

Up next is to get the wiring planned out so I can make and seal any holes through the bulkheads before I attach the front deck. Then It's the console, combing, finish work, and rigging. I think I'm starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

2295733530053235105fUiwuT_fs_zps108cab4e.jpg

2048402790053235105DVtsAV_fs_zps17cd8488.jpg

2598258790053235105CkLrcg_fs_zpsf393b80c.jpg

2621618800053235105oYUhUc_fs_zpsf5a47fdb.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great!

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I was feeling productive tonight, I got some more done. The structure is now totally glassed in and I painted the storage area and battery compartments.

2050180090053235105YMhnBr_fs_zps152b96f2.jpg

2769836680053235105zxgVXG_fs_zps793582bf.jpg

2640057100053235105jHEFiF_fs_zps55ebaa2f.jpg

Last edited:

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Made some more progress.

I received my quart of Gelcoat and played around with it a bit. I first tried brushing it in the livewell, It was OK but left lots of brush marks. I rolled on a second coat, and that actually would have been acceptable but the combination of brush marks from the first coat and orange peel from the second was just ugly. So out came the DA sander with a 60 grit pad and away it went. I sprayed the last coat and it came out good enough for a livewell. It was tough maneuvering the spray gun in such a small area. I didn't cut it down and buff it out simply because I'm more concerned about durability than looks in there.

I installed all the fittings last night and let them cure so I could give it a try today. Everything works well, and there's no leaks. The lights look sweet too.

2340497750053235105TYOuFR_fs_zps7f134853.jpg

2778209030053235105qpwFZP_fs_zps12e79a9b.jpg

2169278680053235105vQtLWJ_fs_zpsc750a5b8.jpg

2969512820053235105bDGSSx_fs_zps1ef417c6.jpg

2948693670053235105TKNAgF_fs_zps1560fea3.jpg

2461539710053235105LgkBoY_fs_zps90c26742.jpg

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A lighted livewell?... Holy Crap I gotta get me one of those!!!;)

You're doing some excellent work on that boat that used to be a floating turd!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That livewell is cool! Now I don't know much about those things, is there some sort of sealed lid that will go over it?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

That livewell is cool! Now I don't know much about those things, is there some sort of sealed lid that will go over it?

There should be,.....

On many tournament Walleye boats they run a high speed pickup for the livewell that forces water into the livewell while running, With a sealed lid it fills up and stays full reducing the movement of fish so they don't get dead,............

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys!

Livewell lights are in the iBoats store, less than $5.

I will have a sealed hatch over it once I put the front deck on.

I didn't go with a high speed pickup on this setup, but I do have a Flo-Rite valve with an "auto" setting that recirculates the livewell water while on plane, and will pull fresh water in when off plane. It also has a manual recirculate and drian settings. I used an inlet nozzle with a diverter in it, so I can do a direct pump out.

Last edited:

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, you're really good at this! From the design to the glass work to the paint it looks better than what I would expect from a factory. The splatter paint really looks pro.
Love the old firetruck in the BG of the pic from 9/5! Looks like the hood's off, are y'all restoring that down at the station?