Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

I am late to the party but I just wanted to comment on the great work you are doing with your fishing rig.

Looks great to me :)

bear_69cuda

Commander

drool..............................

drool...............

Incredible!

Why did you decide to paint and not gel coat? Just curious...

Did you use 1/2" ply on the deck?

Are using textured Durabak on nontextured?

Again, super duper pro dude!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I forgot to mention, check this layout for Anti-slip on a deck:

Anti-slip layout run wild <<--thats exactly how I have it labeled as a bookmark:D

Again, killer work.....

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again for all the compliments!

I'm thinking that a bead of 5200 or even PL Premium inside the aluminum channel would be plenty strong to hold the rope in place. I'll prob stretch one piece of rope all the way around the boat and pull it tight while the adhesive cures then trim off the excess on the back. I'm going to have to come up with something to cap off the rear of the rub rails, not sure what It will be yet. I can cast urethane rubber parts at work, so I may make some custom fit end caps for it that wrap around the transom a few inches.

I originally thought that paint would require less sanding, but at this point I'm not so sure. however sanding and polishing the gel coat in all the nook and crannies of this thing still doesn't sound too appealing.

The deck is 3/4 ply, since there isn't much of a span between any of the supports I probably could have used 5/8 without any issues and saved a few pounds. All the vertical bulkheads are 1/2 and the sides of the gunnels and cockpit are 1/4. All exterior ply.

I like that diamond deck pattern. It really does add a nice detail, but I think it would be too much with a contrasting color like I plan on doing. I would feel like I'm standing on a big chess board. I do plan on taping off 1" a perimeter around all the sides and hardware and leaving that gloss white just dress thinks up a bit. I went with the textured Durabak, I want to keep things no slip on those days where the weather refuses to cooperate.

StayAfloatPlz

Seaman Apprentice

Everything looks great, sure helps me get motivated! Just not enough days in the week.....*sigh*
And having all of the pics of the process really helps a rookie (me) with the knowledge process...

Keep it up!

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've just completed reading this thread for the first time. Great job, you've done an amazing job with this build. Congrats and goodluck on the finish!

Mike Zee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very nice job. i did this 15 years ago with an old boat from the 50's (Crosby?). Your's is WAY WAY (way) nicer. I mean it's yours, made the way you want it, Bravo..

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, things are moving along nicely here. I taped off the deck pattern I rolled on two coats of light gray textured Duraback. It look 4 hours to tape off the decks, but I like the way it came out. Up next is to get the rub rail squared away. I'll be on that this week.

2939595320053235105mbOcKe_fs_zps56cfc4ad.jpg

2905381660053235105wlYcNM_fs_zpsf6705c29.jpg

2356780060053235105ypSwWH_fs_zps31097ab4.jpg

2053342860053235105YtMiFx_fs_zps3ca56fa0.jpg

2044916130053235105ZEahjR_fs_zpsb2819cac.jpg

2893580730053235105OUSVOG_fs_zps0b0c1d2d.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I suspect you'll get a bunch of: 'Holy Carp! Is that the new Mako? which model?' at the dock & on the trailer buying gas!

Duraback turned out great! Can't wait to see it rigged out & sitting on the trailer w/ an outboard!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks great.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow......................................................... I MEAN WOW!!!!

you have surely done some fantastic work. It looks factory, except better. :)
Ok so I don't fish, and to be honest I haven't even tried except for when i tell the misses im going fishing to get a day off ;) haha, but that has got to be the most practical and well constructed layout that i have seen in ages! Kudos to you and keep up the great work. I can't wait to see what it looks like when the "boat bling" starts to get fitted.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Man-oh-Man, that looks way too Kool!!!

Three thumbs up!

Decker83

Commander

Just read the thread.
What can be said that hasn't already been said.

What we have here is a Master Craftsman at work, from the tear down to the design to the carpentry work to the fiberglassing and fairing and the excellent painting.

This boat looks as good as they get. You must be very proud of all your work.
Thanks for sharing with us all on i-boats

bear_69cuda

Commander

Incredible!

I'm totally blown away!

I love the grey durabak!

drool.................................

How are you gonna pull the rigging to the helm?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This is professional grade work that's happening here:)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

+1 -- [insert visual of me slowly rising out of my office chair and clapping]... Very nice work... They gray durabek really makes the finish look factory/pro....

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I may have missed it, but what brand are those hatches?

And what about that black hatch liner?

Looking good! Keep it up!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Very nice build.

I personally wish I was on this build as it is a perfect example of imagination :) and dedication.

YD.

PS. Check your inbox.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I may have missed it, but what brand are those hatches?

And what about that black hatch liner?

Looking good! Keep it up!

I had to look back to find the black TROLLING MOTOR FOOT PEDAL tray... Up in post #54

But the hatches & seat bases...???

It all looks flawless & exceptionally well laid out & executed!

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again for all the compliments ! :D It really helps keep me motivated. 15-20 hours a week working on this thing has me running a little ragged, but I know that it's almost there, so I promise no breaks till there's fish in the live well.

Anyway, The hatches are from Temptress, # 44403.

The seat bases are from Springfield and for a 1.77 diameter seat post.

I did modify the seat based from round to the "D" shape that they are now. I was hoping to keep them round but there is only so much space to work with and when it comes down to inches the "D" fit in better. I have seen the same bases available in both shapes and when I flipped the round ones over I found a rib that ran right along the line between two screw holes. So I trimmed off the base outside that rib and it became the new edge on the flat side. Worked out really well. I figure it's what the the manufacturer does anyway, one casting and just trim to make two different models to sell.

Last edited: