Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

Hey Sleeper-6

Incredible work dude!

Very inspiring for my current project... I'm humbled once again....

I've sent you a PM.

Happy New Year!

Looking forward to progress on this build...

nosubsitute4hp

Recruit

WOW! You have an amazing project that has inspired my direction for my own project. I am curious as to the overall length and inside width of your boat? Would like to ask you more questions also. A pm has been sent with my phone number. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's for all the kind words guys. :D

As for overall size, it's pretty compact. 14' in length and just about 60" wide. the inside is a but narrower due to the sides and such, but none of that is more than 3-4 inches off the hull. the reason for the angled sides was to keep them as close to the hull as possible. The seam where they change angles just about touches the hull side.

nosubsitute4hp

Recruit

our boats are practically the same size. mine is a tad narrower i think. Where did you learn to fiberglass? this doesn't appear to be your first go round with it. Also, if you don't mind sharing, what is your total cost of materials? Such as fiberglass, wood , resin etc... not including the actual boat and motor itself.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've done minor fiberglass work on RC models before but nothing on this scale. This is my first major fiberglass job. I learned 90% of it MANY hours of reading here and looking at pictures, the other 10% is in the dumpster or disappeared in a cloud of grinding dust.

I haven't add up all the receipts yet, but I know I'm into it for more than it's worth. Just in raw materials here's my best estimate so far.

Fiberglass, Resin, fillers, brushes, rollers, etc. = $800

Wood =$150

Primer and Paint = $300

That's just to get something that floats,

I'm sure I have another $1500 in hatches, wiring, seats, hardware, lights, pumps, plumbing. bla bla bla....

On the up side, when it's all said and done I'll have a brand new boat built my way.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, and Where are you gunna find a boat of this quality, and know that it is going to last for decades, for $3500.00 bucks???
Worth, depends on the person that wants it. I expect it's worth every penny of that to you!!!! The pics and the log of this site will put you in good stead when/if it comes time to sell it.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Holy Bass Boat Batman, er...ahhh, I mean Sleeper-6,
I just saw this thread and couldn't believe my good fortune...
You sir, have become my new Iboats Inspirational Obi-Wan-Kenobi!
I am in the mental stages of doing the same type of rebuild to my bassboat...

While mine started life out as a bass boat, it had a lot of design features that I became frustrated with...
Since I had to do a complete restore anyhow, I decided to build the interior of the boat back the way I wanted...

Until I saw you thread, I thought, maybe I am a bit crazy for wanting to re-invent the proverbial wheel, as they say, by attempting to do what I have been thinking of doing...

Then, BAM!, here is your thread, proving that what I have envisioned for my bass boat, is not only insane, but an insanely cool idea!

Thanks for sharing this awesome rebuild, and with your permission, I would like to come aboard and see you take this wonderful re-creation to the successful splash that seems like it is not too far off...

Awesome craftsmanship and extremely insightful "outside of the box" thinking...

Best Regards,
GT1M

bear_69cuda

Commander

A Long Time Ago In A Firehouse Far Far Away.........................................................

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once again it's Monday morning, Time for my update.

I can't wait for all this sanding to be done. This dust is killing me and I have to take a backpack blower to the shop before the rest of the firehouse kills me.

Anyway. Here's where I'm at. 95% of all the fiberglass work is done. I just have the 3 hatch covers left to do. That's this weeks goal. The console is all tabbed and filleted in. All the heavy fairing work is done, and a few rounds of Interlux Pre-cote is on and drying. In the process now of blocking it out to smooth most of the subtle waves.

Here's the pictures.

2559716230053235105JnGMmc_fs_zps5b842503.jpg

2599320420053235105jIrMVZ_fs_zpsdb31f947.jpg

2957721450053235105taExCv_fs_zpsac258e0c.jpg

2614934350053235105MdRGMV_fs_zps4d61315f.jpg

2427758270053235105cfaJBX_fs_zpsee91a8d8.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking good! The white really makes it look longer & sleeker! Keep up the great work, and a fish fry or fishing trip offer may let you slid a bit w/ the firehouse crew. Especially when they can watch this come together 'live' instead of via a few pix.

Great looking rig!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Wow!

Major inspiration......

Looks totally pro dude!

How are the front deck battery covers going to attach?

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Man this thing will look stock when you're done with it. Great work.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The plan is to use some stainless piano hinges I picked up on the front edges of the battery covers while the back will rest on the edge of the bulkhead. I have some basic flush latches that will keep them shut. Same idea for the rear bilge access. except that has a lip around the inside for the hatch to sit on.

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just checking in here. I haven't gotten lost, I'm still plugging away at it. Unfortunately everything still looks just like the last set of pictures. It's been a never ending cycle of prime, sand, fill, sand, prime, find new flaws, prime fill, ..........bla bla bla. The good news is that that has finally ended and I'm mid way through my coats of gloss white. I've got a final round of wet sanding tonight and HOPEFULLY the final coat of white will be going on tomorrow night. I'll get some pics up then in it's shinny white glory. Or something like that. :D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow!, I somehow missed your last update, but this is looking Killer! Very nice! Looking forward to the finished Coat...

Sleeper-6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's finally painted! No more sanding!!!!!

Ok, so maybe just a little. I found a couple of sags that I will sand down and buff out when I get around to it. It's tough to spray white paint with crappy lighting.

Anyway, it's nice and shiny and white. Next is the light gray Duraback on the deck, and the black on the rub rail. I'm thinking of a blue braided rope insert in the rail to tie in with the blue accents on the seats. That plus the hardware and rigging should break up the sea of white nicely. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I can't wait to start bolting the pile of parts I've been accumulating on to this thing and start freeing up some floor space again.

2318779340053235105Autbnu_fs_zpsc18e4432.jpg

2820661490053235105vpEvzs_fs_zpsdb53f458.jpg

2861362200053235105IWxYyC_fs_zpscc8f4bf4.jpg

2975161850053235105kXbdMH_fs_zpse023b79a.jpg

2923241150053235105BHcJnq_fs_zpsb2160c93.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks fantastic.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Just wanted to stop by and say you are doing an amazing job on this build.. One of my favorites.

kfa4303

Banned

AMAZING job Sleeper!!!! Looks pro all the way! I like the blue rope rub rail/bumper guard idea too. If you do add it, how are you planning on attaching it to the rails? I've seen it done on small wooden boats and always wondered how they attach it without any apparent hardware, or fasteners. Congrats again. Now the fun stuff starts.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Incredible looking rig dude. I'd bet you'll get tons of Q's about its maker once you hit the water & tie up to a dock. Well thought out for sure, but man, the finish product. Done good my man, done good:
smiley_with_thumbs_up.jpg

You need to team up w/ oops & pull some molds from this layout, IMHO!!!!!!!!! Get the hulls for free @ CL & from the starmada guys who're dying to cut up the old glassers daily. 'Glass in an O/B transom, and there ya go. <<-- May require some finesse, as they seem to prefer a sawzall to a wrench for getting the motors out.

I sent you a PM, but if gone its gone. :cool: