Aluminum v hull restoration, how-to's? Lmuss53's 171CC Sea Nymph Striper

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am a veteran boater and iboater, and I am thinking about buying a 17' Sea Nymph Striper CC that will need new floor and paint to be presentable. It is being used now and I will probably get it some time before Sept. 1. Is there a how-to, sticky, etc. page that gives a rundown of where to start, what to expect and how to handle the problems on what happens once the old deck comes off. I am familiar with the concept of pulling the console or at least lifting it, and unhooking controls and wiring. I am more concerned with removing the floor, sealing the hull, redecking, prepping and exterior paint. I will probably recarpet, but would like to know about bedliner type material in these boats too.

I spend a couple of hours a day on here mostly in the pontoon section and in Johnson Evinrude outboards. If you can point me a a couple good aluminum vhull resto threads I will be happy to read them.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Aliminum v hull restoration, how-to's?

I'd stay away from the bedliner, that stuff would be great if you never had to make a repair to anything underneath it.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I read a bunch of these tonight, most of it review as I have read them before. I looked in the SN section and read a lot from that SNS191 fellow, he stirrred the pot, but had some nice looking CC's. Anyone ever figure out where he went?

I've owned a Starcraft 17 Superfisherman, and a Crestliner 17 Sportfish I/O, and I can't wait to get this boat. I will probably use it for the rest of the summer/fall and tear into it in the winter.

Thanks for the replies, when I get it I will post some before pics.

I'm keeping the pontoon to lay around on and bottom fish from.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah SNS...

One of a kind to be sure:rolleyes:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

081811135140.jpg

081811135058.jpg

081911135155.jpg

081911135220.jpg

Well here she is, I will pick it up this week. Interior floor is completely gone, I am thinking I will pull it all out and pull the foam if it's wet and replace them with noodles and exterior grade plywood sealed in epoxy and carpet or vinyl. I intend to keep the layout stock, with the possible exception of a small extension to the bow platform. Right now it has an extension that comes right back to the front of the jump seat that will come out.

I messed around on photobucket to try to erase the guy's license plate and apparently saved the wrong pic, hence the circles down through the transon shot.

Note all the patching around the transom, the owner says it leaks some but he just pumps it out and keeps fishing. Aside from obvious rot, what would indicate the transom has to come out? Can I weld the seam closed around the transom? In a perfect world I would pull the transom and replace the wood while closing all the holes in the transom and only putting back what is needed for the livewells. I'm not sure I have the time, inclination, $$$ or skills to do that so I only want to tackle it if I need to. I want to fish with this late into November and start again in late Feb. or March, so I don't want it down long.

Exterior paint will probably be a good sanding, scrub with vinegar water, self etching primer and Rustoleum spray bombs. Unless someone has a better idea.

I have a galvanized trailer I had a junk 15 footer FG runabout on that I will try to get under this if I can.

Power is an 83 VRO 70 Johnson that I will clean the carbs on, replace the impellor (and housing if needed) and probably paint and re-decal. I have a friend going back into the body shop business in september so I may get him involved in refinishing.

Tell me what you all think from the pics.

I'm going to stand on the motor tomorrow and see if the transom gives any. Can anyone suggest any other ways to check it?

When I start I will start a restoration thread in the SN section, will anyone see it there? I'm really gonna lean on the expertise of this board, maybe I'll just rename this and leave it here.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

It looks like your going to need to replace the transom,...

I would get all of the gunk out of it on the out side and try to re-buck the rivets,....

The transom and floor is really the easy part,...

I would try to clean up the boat as good as you can and see how it looks before painting,...Maybe it will look good and save you a bunch of work with the paint,...

Looks like a fun project and I look forward to your progress,...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

She's a diamond in the rough alright.

The decking will be a snap to take out after you remove the console.

That transom is utterly gnarly!

You should check for leaks after you get the decking out, fill your bilge with the garden hose and fix any that aren't on the transom... the fix the ones on the transom when you tackle it.

One of the best things about tinnies is they don't take that long to fix.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That Sea Nymph is an awesome boat, I think you'll love it!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a real nice boat!

Start your resto thread here in this section. Rustoleum is fine but stay away from rattle cans for anything other than the etch primer. Trust me on this one, been there done that. If you're thinking noodles, start stockpiling NOW as they'll be tough to find in the off-season and you'll pay quite a premium if you have to order them. You can probably find them for $.99 now whereas when I had to order them for my project during the winter I ended up paying like $2.50 a piece! I fit around 72 noodles in mine with little scrap (18').

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the good replies and encouragement guys.

If only the outside were salvageable, but you are seeing the good side. The bottom is bare in lots of places, and painting is absolutely necessary. I guess I'll read a few more "roller and tip" threads, anyone know of a good thread on that subject with lots of pics.

The interior paint looks good so I may just leave that alone, depending on how it scrubs up.

I guesssing the transom will have to be out to access rivets to rebuck, right? I guess I'll see a lot more when I actually get the boat here. I am thinking I will try to tighten up the original rivets holding the transom plate (terminology?) to the stern.

I hear you on the noodles, my sister works at the Dollar General and she says they are sold out for the year.

I think I'll just leave this as the resto thread, unless the mods have some reason not to, so stay tuned...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If I had mine to do over again, I'd strip the bottom and leave it bare aluminum.

Yeah you'll want to pull the transom for sure to give you better access to tighten and seal everything up from the inside. We've also seen a few cases of wet transoms trapping water against the aluminum and causing some corrosion. So you'll want to pull it out and address any issues you find. For minor pitting you can get away with some JB Weld and/or a coating like POR15, if you find more damage you might want to add another sheet of aluminum.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know this may shock some of the purists, but I think I'm going to make this boat into a single side console fishing rig. I had it out with one of my regular fishing partners over the weekend and the CC is really a big PITA. All we got done was walking around the darn thing and getting in each other's way trying to avoid it. I have 3 matched seats from another boat with bases and pedestals and a live well from still another boat. I found a very reasonable console cap and some hatches and other nice stuff for it on ebay, so I think I will go that route.

I know this is a great looking boat taken back to the original look, but that is just not what I am looking for in a v-hull boat. I want something to throw plugs out of at night, slow troll, crappie fish and take the occasional trip to Erie or Chincoteague VA, for perch, walleyes or flounder. A side console rig with a bimini top would be perfect for all of those trips.

For sale one center console with livewell and a flip flop seat.

082911203728-1.jpg

lowesc16.jpg

Top is from Starcrafts Starweld line, bottom is Lowe Fishing machine 165 from 2009, simple, functional. I am thinking something like this.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

:)Sounds like a good move to me but I am certainly not a pureist:)

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a good plan to me.
My boat had two consoles, and I removed both of them, and am converting to a tiller. All to gain more room in the boat.

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice

Why would you change that boat? I'm sure there are many more dual consoles you could modify easier to meet your needs. Would be easier to remove 1 left hand console. Just my 2 cents worth

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The first purist is my brother Chuck. I know what you're saying bro but this is the boat I have to work with, and I really don't think the CC is suited to what I want to use it for. I am going to run it like it is until Winter, who knows maybe the CC will grow on me. I pulled the front deck extension out yesterday so there is a little more room (and 80 fewer pounds) up front, we'll see.

This boat was bought new by a guy who guides now, and then it belonged to the state record holder's son, so it has done a lot of Striper fishing in the current configuration. Maybe I'm missing something great about fishing from a CC, time will tell.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regardless of what you decide to do, you have a nice boat there. You mention going with either carpet or vinyl. I'm not a big fisherman (casual fisherman) but replaced the carpet on my rear deck with vinyl and highly recommend it. It's easy to install, rinses off well (bonus for fisherman) and my kids have no issue between the vinyl and carpet for their bare feet (mostly tubing on my 1750 sportfish this year)

Have fun!

cm20

Cadet

interested in your center console if you decide to get rid of it.....pm me with a price if ya do, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.