trying to replace wood trim on topside of boat

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so i never really worked with wood but need to replace the trim on my 14 ft fishing boat the teak thats on it is destroyed so i need 5/8 by 2 by 14 call home depot they say they dont have anything that narrow except in plywood i dont want to spend a fortune on trim what do i need to do exactly on this boat to get some trim on it

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: trying to replace wood trim on topside of boat

Call up your local lumber yard ? Get some mohog or some other hardwood.

The dimentions might kill you when you want something so small and they have to cut lumber 2" wide.

The length is not really an issue .. its the 2" wide that will.

Hard to come by 2"x 14' ( I am assuming 14' and not 14" please correct me if I'm wrong ).

Scrap yards have Plenty of teak swim platforms that they are parting out .. might check into that.

YD.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Go buy some redwood at HD and some sealer. Cut it and seal it and screw it, Use ss screws.

Hustler04

Cadet

you can always buy the plywood and rip the pcs 2" wide your self

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes 14 ft sorry and plywood im gonna say would look pretty nasty on the side

Hustler04

Cadet

yes 14 ft sorry and plywood im gonna say would look pretty nasty on the side

If you get the finished grade plywood and sand it it will look nice. Have seen and made alot of custom cabinets with it. Plus alot of people wrap the wood with vinyl anyway.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should try a speciality woods shop or cabinet shop, they can make what ever you need since you don't have the tools to do it yourself.

You may also be able to find something in the wood mouldings section of HD or Lowes. You don't have to match exactly what was on your boat, use your imagination.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can PM me. I do all exotics. Shipping to the left coast may be cost prohibitive. I import a ton of Mahogany if you like red. 14' no problem