1971 21' Starcraft Chieftain (eventual restoration)

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 21' Starcraft Chieftain (eventual restoration)

How did the removal of the deck paint go? Is this something you can cover up with some marine vinyl - Nautolex or something similar?

I'm back!

Removing the deck paint/epoxy/grit was a laborious process and no fun at all.

I'm not covering it up per-say, I ground the coating completely off and am now applying new epoxy to seal the deck and will be finishing that with Tuff-Coat.

-Erik

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

This coming week I should have more free time than I've had at any time during these past few months. I'm hoping to get lots of work done on the boat with my little brothers help. I want to finish the final coat of epoxy on the deck and apply the Tuff-Coat, I also want to do the final epoxy and sanding on the rest of the interior woodwork so I will be ready to paint.

On paint I'm looking for a "sand" color to accent the "olive" color the deck will be. I'm looking for recommendations on paint. Everything I'm painting right now is interior wood (epoxy coated).

What have you guys had luck with. I want something that will look good without breaking the bank. I was looking at Rustoleum Topside Marine paint but it doesn't look like they sell a color I would be happy with. I remember reading somewhere that Rustoleum Professional is essentially the same paint. Does anyone know more about this, confirm or deny it? If the Rustoleum professional would work as well I can easily find the color I want.

-Erik

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ace hardware has a self-branded Rusto paint, and they'll tint it any color you'd like.

Use appropriate PPE & you can add enamel hardener to increase the gloss level & hardness of most enamel paints. But it is an isocynate (ISO) and requires precautions when used.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi jbcurt00,

I don't think we have any Ace hardware stores locally. Though I'll double check that.

What I'm really trying to figure out is if the Rusto professional would be a decent paint to use or if there's something else in the same price range that would work better. I heard that it's the same paint as their Topside Marine just labeled differently (and with more colors).

I've used Rusto professional with enamel hardener before painting tractors, I have a good respirator with an organic vapor cartridge that I use when painting with hardener.

My experience is limited to painting metal so I'm pretty well clueless when it comes to this project painting the epoxy coated wood.

-Erik

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You could use pretty much anything you want for your epoxied wood - Porch N' Floor, Rusto, DeckOver or similar stuff will all work fine and reasonable $