1963 Starcraft Newport

xGH0ZTx

Seaman
I just bought a 1963 Starcraft Newport with a 65 HP Mercury outboard for $700. It runs well and I plan to use it as is the rest of this summer but I want to improve it this fall. I am new to boats and would love some suggestions.

boat 1.jpgboat 2.jpgbowlight.jpgcrack.jpg

1. Fix any scratches or chips with Marine-Tex
2. Replace seats (what kind of hardware do I use?)
3. Restore or spraypaint chrome headlamps and horns
4. Paint interior and topside

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Starcraft Newport

Where is the damage in Pic#4 located. If it's below the water line, it MUST be fixed before you put her in the water. You have exposed glass and if you don't fix it you can do a LOT of damage to the hull. It appears to me that there already has been significant damage done to this area.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

It is below the water line. The pic is a closeup of about 2-3 inch area. I was going to use the Marine-tex to fill this...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm.... I suppose you could, however it appears to me the damage is more significant than a MarineTex repair. At the very least I think I would do some sanding and feathering back and lay some resin and CSM in there to re-inforce the area. Can you get to the BACK SIDE of the area??

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

I cant get to the back. I have never done any fiberglass repair so am not sure of the best route to take. The picture makes it look worse than it is but I definitely want to do it the right way. Eventually I would like to paint the hull but I have no idea how to suspend the boat. I am very new to this whole process.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

no. the damage is dry and the flakey stuff around the hole is brittle and can probably easily be sanded or flaked away to make a clean area for the repair material

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

I ended up using fiberglass for the deepest gouge then coming back and filling over with the marine-tec...
Just have to wait for it to dry and sand it smooth

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

Heading out to the lake for a week! :D

_0881.jpgr_0879.jpg

I am not sure what the line in the second pic is for?
It has a screw in the end of it. thought it was possibly to secure the fuel tank?