Is my hull damaged? Hit a submerged buoy...hard!

Broater

Cadet
This is my first boat, a 1996 chris craft concept 21'. I was at about 3000-3500 rpm and hit a submerged metal buoy (maybe 2 feet wide) that lifted my boat out of the water. I hit it so hard, I thought I had certainly punctured a hole in the hull and was gonna start sinking. I then quickly sped back to the boat ramp and put her on the trailer. Upon inspection, I can find no damage, not even a scuff mark in the gel coat! It's sitting on the trailer bunks so if there is a mark, it must be where it connects with the bunks. What do y'all suggest my next move is? Should I have the hull inspected/surveyed? Could something like this have done unseen damage? Or are these hulls so incredibly tough that something like this is a trifle thing and I shouldn't worry? All I can find is the hull is fiberglass/composite, but I understand that can mean a lot of different things. I'd appreciate any insight with this from y'all.

swansont

Seaman
Re: Is my hull damaged? Hit a submerged buoy...hard!

I don't blame you for being suspect. First thing I would do is try to partially move it back on the trailer, whille on the ramp, so you can try and see areas that were hidden by the trailer bunks. Carefully feel around on submerged areas, (fiberglass slivers suck) for soft spots, splintered areas? Then, put her in the water, and keep close to the ramp, but monitor for water intake into the hull. If you don't find anything, I would guess you dodged a bullet. But, that is how I would proceed, I am quite sure there are others that are more knowlegable on hull inspections. Good luck.......

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

check the drive and transom, if there is no damage and on the bottom of the hull you could likely have hit it with the drive only if running on plane

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

check the drive and transom, if there is no damage and on the bottom of the hull you could likely have hit it with the drive only if running on plane

And if they show no signs of damage either, you got lucky...enjoy the water.