Best hull cleaner and wax for fiberglass? Starbrite vs. Marykate

cruzing

Recruit
Hi folks. I'm new to this forum and to the boating life and thanks to many of you who share your wisdom here I knew what to look for during my purchase. Thanks!

On to my issue. I purchased a '95 crownline I/O, strong engine and the seats in excellent condition but the hull is all kinds of green/brown hard crust which is impossible to get off with standard boat wash. But I know that it can come off...I have read sooo much about hull cleaners and the most commonly used (most frequently discussed) seem to be Starbrite and MaryKate ON-OFF with some sort of toilet bowl cleaner (sno-bol) mentioned a lot as well. So which one is best? Does anyone have any experience with all three products? or at least the two that are meant for boats? I'm aware what these products can do to the trailer and I would take the appropriate preventative steps... Also, I'm open to other recommendations.

After cleaning it up I would like to wax it but with so many product out in market I'm going crazy trying to pick one.:confused: I've been looking at the Meguiar's 3-step kit which includes Oxidation Remover/Polish/Pure Wax... any opinions? Here is a link to this product. http://www.basspro.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Heavy-Duty-Oxidation-Removal-Kit/product/39834/-624217

Thank you in advance for any further help you can provide!

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best hull cleaner and wax for fiberglass? Starbrite vs. Marykate

big fan of the meguiars kit. As far as what is needed to clean the hull, gonna need some pics to see what you're dealing with. If you're lucky, the kit will take care of it, but can't tell without seeing it.

cruzing

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Here are a few pictures. I'm not sure if I did it right but I'll try again if it doesn't work.
As you can see, my problem is bellow the water line and is worse towards the front.

file:///Users/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2011/Jul%208,%202011/DSC03534.JPG/Users/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Jul 8, 2011/DSC03535.JPG/Users/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Jul 8, 2011/DSC03539.JPG

Ok first attempt did not work. Here is a link to photobucket. Im not sure how the others post pictures directly to the forum but I would love to know that too.

cruzing

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

best hull cleaner for gellcoat is acetone.

if you want to polish your boat....stay away from auto products......they are for painted cars, not gellcoat.
3m makes some good stuff.....in canada the pors use farecla for gellcoat.
farecla also makes stuff for cars so you must get the right stuff.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

the meguiar's kit that was mentioned is specifically for gelcoat; it's part of their marine line. Acetone is a great surface cleaner when prepping for repairs and cleaning top surface stuff (shoe scuffs, pencil markes, etc) but if stains are into the pours of the gelcoat acetone (or any other surface cleaner) won't touch it. The top layer of material needs to be removed (buffing is the least invasive, wetsanding would be the next step). There are some acidic cleaners that will bleach some stains out, but to keep them from coming back a good buffing and wax is needed..

The thing I like about the meguiars compound is that it does not leave oily swirls. Most compounds (many of the 3M line included) tend to do this. Another compound that I like is called Aqua Buff made by Hawkeye Industries. They have 2 compounds (1000 is a heavy compound, 2000 is more of a finish / polishing compound). Its water based and works very well PROVIDING you follow their directions. Unlike most compounds, the aqua buff needs to be buffed out at a high speed. BUT, be careful! Although it works very well, there are some issues to heed when working with a buffing pad whipping around at 2500 RPM!!!

Hope this helps!

~BWT