another swimplatform

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
DSC00062.jpgDSC00060.JPGJust wanted to share this with you guys.
The kids and I wanted a swimplatform but they are to much $.

So, I DSC00059.jpgmade one out of redwood,70$ and then I had some brackets made 120$ metal but powder coated.
Sealed the platform with cabot. Thank you woodonglass.

DSC00061.jpg

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: another swimplatform

Well done. I'm collecting materials for a similar project, so thank you very much for posting!

CHAD

oops!

Supreme Mariner

fantastic job bud.....

a lot of the newer boats are going back to a wood plank platform......this post will help many

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How many coats of Cabot's did you use? It REALLY looks GREAT!!!! Is it Through Bolted on the Hull? Did you seal everything with 3M 5200/4200?? I Know I'm being nosy but others can benefit from your outstanding work, so give us the INSTALLATION DETAILS!!!!!!!:eek:

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I agree... more details! That looks sharp! Do the brackets allow it to flex much when standing on it?

SouthTexan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am also considering something very similar during my rebuild and would love to see more pictures of the installation. Do the brackets flex much? I was imagining gusset plates when building mine. That redwood looks sharp! Nice craftmanship!

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

It definitely looks great, very professional. I'm in the process of re-coring my fiberglass swim platform, but now you've got me thinking, :rolleyes:... There is a lot of Teak on my boat. :facepalm: Arghhh... I think I should just stick with the fiberglass... LOL... Details would be nice though... Great job!!!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys. Very simple to make and install.
SUPPLIES
1)4 EIght foot 2 by 6's of redwood and two strips of 8 ft end molding, redwood.
2)1 qaurt of cobat gloss spar varnish and plenty of cheap paint brush.
3)80 grit sand paper for first sand and 220 sand paper for final sand.
4)8,3 1/2, 3/8, stainless bolts,16 washers and 8 nuts for the bolt thru assembly on the transom.
5)8,2 1/2, 1/8, stainless bolts, 16 washers,8 nuts for the platform to bracket assembly.
6)1 tube of 5200 marine sealent,1 3/8 and 1 1/8 drill bit and one box of stainless screws, I used coated decking screws.1 1/2 inches long.
7)1 tube of wood glue or any kind of adhesive that will hold up well in the water.
8) 1 small bit for drilling into glass and tile.
9)1 angle finder
10)Level
ASSEMBLY OF PLATFORM
1) Figure out how big you want the platform, mine is17 in wide and 7 foot long.You'll also need to take into account the curve of the transom if your going to butt the platform up next to the transom. Mine is flat, and the platform sets about an inch away from the transom. If you have a curve and go that route, you'll need to make a templet of the curve. You can use the pink or blue foam sheets from lowes or home depot.Pick out the nicest looking stuff for the top.
2) Cut the 2 by 6's to lenght,Lay them out on a flat surface and placs the top flat on the surface so your looking at the bottom of the platform,redwood is very soft wood so be carefull. use a 1/4 inch gap between 2 by 6's to allow water to drain.The molding is 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick so If you use the molding,
remember to cut the 2 by 6,s shorter so the molding doesn't stick out.
3) Cut your braces for under the platform, they should run from on end to the other so mine are 17 inches long.Cut one end of the braces at a 45 degree angle, this end will go to the vision side of the platform. This is so the water will just slide and ensure no drag.
4)predrill all holes.Cut 4 braces for mine but yours may vary. Use 6 screws in each brace, 2 in each 2 by 6 about 2 inches apart.
5) So now the platform is assembled, now cut your molding for the front and sides. I used a miter saw to cut the ends at a 45.
6) Glue and screw the molding on.Use the 5200 to coat all screws.
7) Sand top and bottom with the 80 grit and then sand with the 220.I used a mouse sander.Clean off the wood with a dry towel.
8)Apply 5 coats of the cobat with a paint brush, cover end grains and any nooks and crannys very well. Follow instructions on can.
So that's how you make the platform.
INSTALLATION
1)You will need to determin were the plattform will sit and the angle of the braces. The best way to figure this out is to to the boat on the water and mark the water line on the transom, this is were the plattform will sit,about 6 inches higher than the water line and the water line on the hull, this will determin the angle of the braces if you want it level with the water.
You can draw a line with a pencil from the water line on the transom and connect it to the water line on the hull.When the boat is trailered make these lines level by adjusting the jack up or down. Go to the transom and get your angle finder.Lay it at 90 degrees against the transom adjust it up or down untill it is level. Get the angle and that's the angle of the braces.
2) Go get some braces made.I used four braces, SS is the best but thier are other options. You can have that person drill your holes for your bolts but measure were you need them before you go.Check inside the transom and make sure you won't hit anything were your bolts will go thru.
3)Your braces have holes for your bolts So place your braces on the transom and use a pencil to mark were you want the holes. Make sure your braces do not sit on top of your 2 by 6 braces under the platform.You might need to move your 2 by 6 braces a bit to make it work , if you do , fill any holes with 5200.
4) RECHECK and RECHECK the placement of the braces and bolt holes on the transom.
5)I used a bit for drilling into glass and tile to predrill the holes into the outer skin and then finished them off with a 3/8 bit. drill the top holes first and then the bottom.
6)Cover the bolts and fill bolt holes in transom with the 5200.Place a washer on the outside of the boltholes and then install bolts.Go to the inside of the transom and cover the inside of the bolt hole with 5200,place washer and nuts and tighten.
Some will use a plate that the bolt will go thru to use as support on the inside of the transom. I didn't.
7) Place platform on braces were it is to be mounted.From the bottom drill up thru the holes in the braces into and thru the platform with a 1/8 drill bit.
8)Cover all bolts with 5200, place washers on top of bolt holes, put in bolt,Go underneith and place washers and nuts, tighten.
DONE.

Hope that will help someone down the road.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DSC00058.jpgDSC00056.jpgDSC00057.JPGView attachment 98900View attachment 98899View attachment 98898

Here's a few pics.
pencil.png

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am also considering something very similar during my rebuild and would love to see more pictures of the installation. Do the brackets flex much? I was imagining gusset plates when building mine. That redwood looks sharp! Nice craftmanship!

Thanks.
No flex at all.

It definitely looks great, very professional. I'm in the process of re-coring my fiberglass swim platform, but now you've got me thinking, :rolleyes:... There is a lot of Teak on my boat. :facepalm: Arghhh... I think I should just stick with the fiberglass... LOL... Details would be nice though... Great job!!!

Thanks.
I have alot of teak also but the redwood looks nice with it.

Looks great!

Thank you.

Well done. I'm collecting materials for a similar project, so thank you very much for posting!

CHAD

Thank you and have fun with your project. Post some pics when you get it done.

Wow that looks amazing. Maybe a side business?
Thank you.
I'm takeing orders call me at 555-5555. JK, Thank you.

fantastic job bud.....

a lot of the newer boats are going back to a wood plank platform......this post will help many

That's a great compliment from you sir.
Glad to see you posting again.

How many coats of Cabot's did you use? It REALLY looks GREAT!!!! Is it Through Bolted on the Hull? Did you seal everything with 3M 5200/4200?? I Know I'm being nosy but others can benefit from your outstanding work, so give us the INSTALLATION DETAILS!!!!!!!:eek:

Thank you for your help and kind compliments.