Transom Replacement

ricket

Cadet
Transom Damage 062011 011 (Small).jpgTransom Damage 062011 007 (Small).jpgTransom Damage 062011 006 (Small).jpgTransom Damage 062011 008 (Small).jpgTransom Damage 062011 015 (Small).jpgI need to replace the transom on my 1985 Blue Finn boat. It's a 21 Ft., and is pushed by a 115 horse Nissan outboard. The transom is separating from the splashpan in the rear. I'm pretty handy with basic stuff, but this is a little intimidating to me. Can someone tell me how to go about this or refer me to someone who can.
Thanks for your help.
Ricket

I finally figured out how to insert the pics. My file size was too big, but I resized them. Hope this helps. I need direction bad! Thank you.
pencil.png

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom Replacement

You should start with pics. I thought it was intimidating too until I got the new transom in. Its really not that bad, plus there are several threads of others doing the same thing. This is definately the place, there are several people here to help. Hint: give as much info as possible and include as many pics so the pros can "see" what you are about to tackle...

Welcome aboard, and good luck...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats Dry Dock!!!

SRI is correct we need pics to SEE what you see. Transoms are our Specialty!!!! My signature line has a link for how to post your pics. Get em up and we can get started.

rwhodel

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 19' Blue FIn Sportsman. I have replaced the deck, built new consoles and am now rebuilding the transom. You can check out my progress at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=376040. The aluminum of the transom on my boat is corroding, so I am looking into different option for completing my restoration.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Check out pretty much any of the Starcraft restores on here as we've all tackled transoms. Basically just remove the motor, any capping, all through bolts and slide (or dig) the old wood out. Create a new one, it's probably 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood laminated together. Seal it with epoxy and slide it in and reassemble.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what you are doing but the pics are not coming thru.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well Your Pics in your FIRST post are showing up but this mornings are not. Anyhoo... this appears to be a typical transom repair for an aluminum boat. You will need to remove the motor and ALLof the hardware both Inside and outside that is attached to the transom. Remove the aluminum Corner Brackets and Top cap of the transom and the splashwell. Pics of the inside of the transom will help but I imagine you hve knee bracing as well and they will need to be detached as well. The it's jus a matter of removing the rotted wood, making a template, creating a NEW wooden core Epoxying it all up and reinstalling everything. Really not that bad of a job.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep that transom wood is shot. Not biggie to replace though. Just take it apart and replace the wood.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Yup, this is a typical Brunswick/Starcraft transom repair. Pretty simple for us that have done one. I think if you take the previous advice and head on over to the Starcraft forum on here you'll find any number of good examples and lots of pictures to help guide you.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just replace my transom in my BlueFin as well. As most have mentioned, it's not too hard to do. I had to also remove my splashwell and do some modification as well because the PO welded all kinds of angle pieces on it to try to fix the issue and he had it all out-of-square. I think that removing the splashwell actually made it easier. I used 2 pieces of 3/4 ext plywood. Laminated together and covered in epoxy. It makes for a very strong transom. If you have a metal supplier in your area, you should be able to get any sheet aluminum and top caps made.

ricket

Cadet

Well, I just finished my transom replacement and it works great. I was a little intimidated with this project until talking with you folks. I'm glad I did it now; saved considerable money and still have the boat I love.
Thanks for all your help.
Ricket

burnett

Recruit

I have just purchased a Holiday 18 V, the boat has been stored for the last 12 years and is in great shape. I intend to restore the boat, the only thing that needs to be done that is major is the transom. If I have the serial number where can I find out what year it is