1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

Got my 1st color coat on. Just catchin up. Fix the spike and then lay the next layer. Are you using a bubble buster roller??

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

I saw that man does it look GREAT. Its going to need ground out how long should I let it dry? Its still got some tack to it

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

And yes the BBroller works great got it figured to just roll them right to the edge. The cloth is laying down nicely around the spikes its just right around them I'm getting bubbles(small)

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Worst one

PICT0065.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How longs it been down?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Had look back at my posts, its been down about half hour.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Give it another 1/2 hour then grind em out and go to town

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Cool thanks Wood,

The little pits with old gel coat drove me nuts couldn't figure out why I couldn't them to come out. Then I realized what they were and that they were full of resin and just showing through. :rolleyes:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Well 2nd layer on, not nearly as happy with it as I was the first. Had a hard time getting bubbles out. Worked it until the resin in the bucket kicked(first time for me). Did find that working fast after that happened I got the majority of them out.

Not sure what I did wrong. I'd get the bubbles out of the corners and be good for an inch or so then as I worked on the flat it kept wanting to lift out of corner. Had some luck working into the corner then working the bubbles up to the top.

Let it dry and I'll get pics so I can figure how/what to fix.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

It looks good from this far

10TransomInEdited.jpg

Closer inspection shows not horrid way out there bubbles but bubbles none the less. These are the circled areas

10TransomAirBubble03.jpg

10TransomAirBubble01.jpg

Should I worry about them? What's the fix if they are worrisome?

Need to clean up the upper edges then hopefully w/ the exception of these the transom is done. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Take a RO sander with 60 grit sand em out. Make a patch out of 2 layers of csm and lay it in. DONE!!! IT LOOKS AWESOME. For a First Timer you did really well. You should be proud!!!!

Got color coat #2 on this mornin. One more to go. Mebee tomorrow nite. Gunna move to the garage to keep fuzzies and bugs off. Want it to be PERFECT!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks that's the kind of pep talk I needed to hear.

And while I'd rather hear "Don't worry about" that's and easy enough fix. Just so I could feel like I got something done today I started working on pulling out the keel board. From the construction I have to say these are the undoubtedly the factory stringers. Its cut from an edge glued blank made up of 2 1/2" wide pieces of random lengths that are joined with the zipper style finger joints. Nothing screams factory produced like that.

I had thoughts of well do I really need to replace those. Well glad I am as the bottoms down in the glass are still soaking wet.

It also made me feel better as I peeled away the csm wrap, that while yes it had delaminated towords the top, most of it after 38 years was still taking wood fibers with it as I pryed it away from the board.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, just so you know, Thundercraft boats were made fairly well. That's why they are still around. When you are done with her, you can rest assured that your GREAT GRANDCHILDREN will be enjoying this boat, if you keep it in the family. You ARE making it better than the Factory and look how long it's lasted. Keep doing what your doing, Take your time, do it right, and you will have a boat that will be around for DECADES!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Started to grind inside the keel today. Got little better than half done.

11KeelGrinding01.jpg

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway, since it might save some work - It looks like in the building they used multiple layers of csm to make a crude fillet, then laid roven over that to tab it in. I need to basically grind everything out to get it back to the hull layup right? In the pic the light stuff is the csm blob that needs to be ground completely away right?

11KeelGrinding02.jpg

11KeelGrinding03.jpg

Being as I'm getting into the roven of the hull layup in spots would it be wise to plan on laying in at least a layer of csm if not a layer of 1708? Perhaps both?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You guessed it. Grind it down to fresh glass. It's all looking good.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Ok thanks. Is what I figured but never hurts to ask.

Here's to hoping for good painting for ya in the morning.
sCh_christianpray2.gif

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi TDF,

Just came aboard your AeroCraft resto thread to check it out...

Looking great...

I'll be keeping tabs to see how thing s work out...maybe pick up a trick or two...

Best Regards,
GT1M

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome aboard GT!

After getting sidetracked and all, I haven't done much on this one except stand there and looking at it. At the pace your going I'll be watching yours for tips. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

GT1M,

TDF went over to the Dark Side and got one of them Boats that Cut you and have them REEVITS!!!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

GT1M,

TDF went over to the Dark Side and got one of them Boats that Cut you and have them REEVITS!!!!!

I noticed some such strange craft listed below this one in his sig and have just started perusing its story...to see what it is about that causes such behavior...:)

From what I have heard, these tin folk have some strong koolaid they are giving away that causes a strange attraction to metaluminum type constructed craft that are actually supposed to float, similar to the more elegant, more sea worthy, more easy to get chicks in, glassers...to paraphrase the great itch monster himself...ooops! LOL!
:facepalm:

Maybe if he cuts himself enough, he may ralize that itching is not as painful and decide to return to the jedi way of thinking and get back to restoring a true obi-wans boat...:rolleyes:
Just kiddin TDF, I like most anything that floats and really enjoy learnin from, and funnin with all the iboaters.
:D
GT1M