1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

TDF, very good start on the project. I'm partial to AeroCrafts, and I really like yours:D

Glad to see you've been getting some good help from the fiberglass crew here, my AeroCraft is all tin.

That Ford is a perfect tow vehicle for the rig too;)

Looking forward to seeing what she turns out like, good luck to ya!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks HA, ya I really like the AC tinnies too that was what got me to look at the ad for this one when I saw it on CL. My poor rusty old ford has always done me right hauling things around, hopefully it doesn't get too jealous hauling a shiny boat when I get done.

Woodonglass said:
tape off ALL the hole in the outer skin....... I WOULD drill several 1/2" Air Relief Holes in it
Wood I'm a bit conflicted reading that could you elaborate?

I plan on a few dry runs of it. I just used nuts and all thread on the clamp make up (I do see the benefit of the bolts) so I want to see how it goes and see if I need to spend the extra effort on the clamps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Any holes in the OUTER fiberglass skin... i.e. bolt holes, screw holes, drain holes should be taped over with duct tape or packing tape so the PB does NOT squeeze out of them. In the WOOD transom that you built I would drill several 1/2" holes in it to allow air to escape during the clamping and allow the PB to squeeze through and fill em.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Ok now I get it, and now just conflicted about drilling holes in my pretty glassed up transom. LOL

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

I planned on gluing it in today, but the day got away from me. I did get a chance to go out and play w/ the clamps enough to get used to them. With my transom being so flat it pulls down to the outer skin down nice and flat and leads me to ask how much squeeze out do I really want? I know I could pull it down to where it squeezes out all but a trace and I fear this would lead to a starved joint for lack of a better term. While not really a run through (going to do that in the morning) but I have the clamps figured out so that I could get the initial setting so that it wouldn't take but a few turns of the wrench to achieve a set gap clamped under good pressure. So am I shooting for a 1/16" of PB not squeezed out? 1/8"?

How long do I need to let this set before I can pull the clamps and start tabbing?

I also looked at my measurement difference between the cap and the hull flanges. In the first 3' forward from the trans the hull is coming out 1/8" wider than the cap. Is this enough to worry about throwing a strap around it to cinch it in?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I planned on gluing it in today, but the day got away from me. I did get a chance to go out and play w/ the clamps enough to get used to them. With my transom being so flat it pulls down to the outer skin down nice and flat and leads me to ask how much squeeze out do I really want? I know I could pull it down to where it squeezes out all but a trace and I fear this would lead to a starved joint for lack of a better term. While not really a run through (going to do that in the morning) but I have the clamps figured out so that I could get the initial setting so that it wouldn't take but a few turns of the wrench to achieve a set gap clamped under good pressure. So am I shooting for a 1/16" of PB not squeezed out? 1/8"?

How long do I need to let this set before I can pull the clamps and start tabbing?

I also looked at my measurement difference between the cap and the hull flanges. In the first 3' forward from the trans the hull is coming out 1/8" wider than the cap. Is this enough to worry about throwing a strap around it to cinch it in?

Good work on the Dry Fitting. Sound like you're ready. You're right about NOT starving the joint. FIRM but NOT Crazy Tight. I Think you'll KNOW. I'd leave the clamps on minimum of 8 hrs. HINT: YOU might want to use some Johnsons Paste Wax on the clamps just to make sure they DON"T get Stuck to nuthin..

Wouln't hurt to strap the hull if you're noticing a bit of flex in her.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Alright, thanks for holding my hand while I fret and walk through this :redface:

It's all down hill from here right?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You're doing GREAT! First time is ALWAYS worrisome. After this you'll be a pro and tellin ME how to do it!!!

parrisw

Ensign

Ya, I agree with what wood said! I was just there. He help me through my build allot!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Alright its done and drying :)

08GlueingTransomIn01.jpg

08GlueingTransomIn02.jpg

Being this was the first time I'd mixed PB in my run through I didn't account for the extra time it takes to get the cabosil to mix in. :rolleyes: The clamps work really well so I still had plenty of time.

I was worried that I didn't have enough PB mixed since 2 1/2 quarts was enough to trowel out a good coat on the skin but only gave enough to do a spotty coat on the wood. I did get roughly 40-50% spotty coverage on the wood. Once clamped up the outter skin looked really wavey so I spent a few minutes lightly tapping w/ a rubber mallet and that seemed to help distribute the PB under the skin as I could see it oozing into the tape covered holes in the skin. I readjusted the tightness of the clamps and think I got good coverage as I can see squeeze out all the way around the outside and in my airholes. I also added some wood blocks under the hand clamps along the top to help distribute the pressure. It will still probably come out a bit wavey along the top but shouldn't be bad.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OH NO you did it ALL wrong Take it out and start ALL over!!!!:eek:

Just Kidding!!:p

It LOOKS GREAT! YA DUN GOOD!!!!:D

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

If I can take it out I'm giving up. :mad:

LOL

Thanks for the kind words Wood. For all my double checking everything I did forget to wax the clamps. :redface: I'll deal with that though as I can already tell which ones will be glued in.

On a serious note - Since I didn't get lots of squeeze out so not much filleting happened. When I fillet tomorrow do I want to fill the gap around the edge completely or just enough to bridge it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just enough to make a nice cove joint so the glass will lay around the corner nice when you tab it all in. That PB is STRONG Stuff. Your Transom will NOT be coming out in THIS LIFETIME!!!! Go to the Dollar Store and buy one of these they work great makeing that cove joint...

url

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Started today w/ the grinder flattening out all the squeeze out from the holes in the transom. Also cleaned up the ugly job someone had done on the corner.

Before

ACBefore04.jpg

After

09TransomPOWorkSandedOut.jpg

While I was at it I ground out along the sides a little more for my tabbing. Just because it was in my hand and I notice what looked like an air bubble in the factory layup I ground that out too.

Oooops

09FloorBubble02.jpg

Should I find more, should I have just stopped at the gel coat and built up from there? The hole is because I was playing with it and cracked the center out. :rolleyes: I've read on this kind of repair. Taper both side, back the hole, and lay glass inside then out. Can I go csm/1708/1708/csm for the layup or do I need to get roven?

Going to clean up from grinding and go fillet. I just might have the trans tabbed by the end of the weekend.

Which leads to more questions when tabbing to the sides, do I lay cloth all the way across the trans or just 6" and 10" either side of the joint? Also do I tab to the floor before or after I lay my stringers? Both?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

I got the fillet done and waded through Frisco's thread enough to find what I need to do to tab but I'm confused do I want use a 6" and 10" wide piece or do I need to go 6" and 10" each way from the fillet?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Is this what I want for the first round of tabbing?

09TabbingLaidOut01.jpg

09TabbingLaidOut03.jpg

09TabbingLaidOut02.jpg

Or since mine is different than Frisco's would I be better off just shooting to do one layer all the way across?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry I been away for the day. Tab in the 6" and then do an entire layer over the transom with a 10" overlap and then finish up with another exact layer of 1708. Use the bubble buster roller to get ALL the bubble out and make her SMOOOOOOOOTH..

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Ok I'm on the right track then.

Here's to hoping good painting weather for ya for tomorrow.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

One more thought I've read that you can lay up to four layers at a time, so I could at least get the 6" tab in then turn around and go for the 10" full layer right? Would I be pushing it at the edges if I went for all three?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully anyone will chime in with a quick answer,

As I looked at it this morning I changed my plan and decided to just give two continuous layers across the trans. I have my fist layer on and it looks great but I do have a few "spikes" giving my some small bubbles. Should I just wait for this layer to set and come back fix them then do my second layer? Or just let this kick for a bit and lay on my next layer and worry about them later?