1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

emoney - What looked like the original floor was still there under the splashwell and since there's no splice or sistering I have to say they are the originals.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you've got a heavy tool box or Sumthun to sit on in then yeah go ahead and back em out tonite. If not leave em in. IF they don't come out or break off, OH WELL It wont be the end of the world. They WILL be entombed in Resin.

parrisw

Ensign

Nice work thus far! For mixing, 5cc per quart is minimum, I used 10cc per quart, or 10ml per Liter.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

There ya go TDF, PW, just finished his restore using USC resin so use his formula and I Bet you'll have better results.

parrisw

Ensign

I think the usual mix is 1% ?

parrisw

Ensign

As for pouring out of a 5gal bucket, you don't need a pump, just put the bucket up at waist height, and with the spout 90? away from you, hold the container your pouring into up against the spigot, and start laying the bucked over, when it starts to flow stop tiping, and its easy to tip it back to stop the flow.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Nice work thus far! For mixing, 5cc per quart is minimum, I used 10cc per quart, or 10ml per Liter.

Thanks parris, just to clarify though 5cc per quart or pint? I ask as I was mixing by the pint for this and thinking I should be using the 5cc line for a pint and 10cc for a quart as you say.

Here is a pic of the little measuring cup that came w/ the MEKP to show for posterity what I'm talking about on the markings.

You can see the 5ml-5cc line on the left compared to the 1/8oz line on the right. I will be looking at the cc-ml lines from now on.

PICT0035edit.jpg

With the exception of around the edges where I got the resin thick the transom has dried. Where it was thick is to the stage of being just tacky enough to show a finger print when you push on it. I got 6 screws out.:rolleyes: Oh well, guess I'll work around the other 40 er so.

Do I need to wait for this to completely dry before proceeding to wrap it in FG?

While drying it bowed up. The bow seems fairly even across the length, with it being roughly 1/8" at most along the bottom and 1/2" (maybe 3/4") across the top. when its installed the bow will be toword the bow. How big of a problem is this?

PICT0034edit.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OUCH!!! That bowing could be a problem. You want the transom to be FLAT! The outer skin is fairly flexible especially across the top and it WILL more than likely try to conform to the shape of the stiff wood. I HATE to say It but you might want to consider a RE-DO!!! You MIGHT be able to get it to lay flat when you put a layer of mat on onside and then lay some plastic on the floor and weight it down but not sure. If it didn't work you'd be wasting resin.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Ya FLAT I know. Wouldn't that solution create a lot of tension on it anyway? Would it matter?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'm sitting here just thinkin Re-Do. It sucks but not as bad as a bowed transom.

parrisw

Ensign

Thanks parris, just to clarify though 5cc per quart or pint? I ask as I was mixing by the pint for this and thinking I should be using the 5cc line for a pint and 10cc for a quart as you say.

Here is a pic of the little measuring cup that came w/ the MEKP to show for posterity what I'm talking about on the markings.

Yes,I always just mixed 1 Liter at a time, or 32oz, and I used 10ml.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the clarity Parris. Great work on your boat and good luck and weather for Monday. :D

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Alright I'm grasping at straws here but how flat is flat in the transom world.

I strung a string across where the top of the trans will be and the bow is very even across the length with the maximum of the bow being in the middle at 1/4". FWIW Its 77 an 3/4" wide at the top.

If I remake am I even going to be able get much better?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OHHHH, I thought you meant there was a 3/4" bow in it. If it's just a 1/4" You're good to go. When you clamp it in the boat, have the bow pointing inward. Sorry bout that!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

In my haste and panic my eye-balling said 1/2 to 3/4" but a calmer mind found a way to get an actual measurement.

Using the sting method described above - Across the bottom there is maybe a 1/16" at the very top where the wing/fillers are at the sides its close to 3/8" and down where the main ledge the motor hangs on is 1/4".

So are ya telling me what I want to hear or is 1/4" of bow truly acceptable?

Short of the expense of more plywood I almost wouldn't mind a redo as I think I came up w/ a fairly simple jig to do it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, Absolutely acceptable. Like I said put the bow INWARD and you'll be good. No problem. NOTHING to worry about have you seen my Transom Clamps that I recommend building to clamp it with?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, saw those in Parris' thread. I will be making some this weekend.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you use them, and DON'T clamp it too hard, just enuf to get good squeeze out of the PB, you'll be fine. They put Great equal pressure all across the transom.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Woohoo I'm giddy:D (no not from the fumes)

Learned a lot about FGing on this go round

1. I need to cut my mat A LOT closer to actual shape and maybe some relief cuts.
2. I need to pay more attention to estimating how much resin its going to take to wet out my mat - any uses for a cracked up inch thick solid resin slab?
3. You can use a roller like a brush to just dab it down.
4. Its really cool looking the first time you see that FG kick and start to solidify in the mat. IOW I now know what its going to look like when time is about up.
5. Once it starts to kick don't go back out try to fuss it. Only took me one spot of stranding it all to heck to figure that one out.

I got one side and all around the edges wrapped. Will clean up the extra cloth and few stray hairs in the morning and do the other side.

Do I want to wrap completely around to the other face or just to like the center of the edge? This go around I got it wrapped anywhere from past the center of the edge to clear aorund to the opposite face.