1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

Good job so far but
"Talked to the city today which quelled my fears of being called in upon for half a boat sitting in the yard. (ya I got those neighbors) " at that point, I'd move..................

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Good job so far but
"Talked to the city today which quelled my fears of being called in upon for half a boat sitting in the yard. (ya I got those neighbors) " at that point, I'd move..................

I got a boat to work on man, I aint got time for moving. LOL

First off this look a little better supported?

CradleReworked01.jpg

Jacked up the stern and replaced short 2x6 with 10' 2x4. Set the boat back down and pushed front end up (bowing it) until it just started to lift the hull and screwed it into place. Repeated all of the above for the other side. Time well spent as it took almost all of the bow of me walking on the hull away. There's still a tiny bit but put my mind at ease.

After supper I went out and turned this

04Gutting01.jpg

Into this

05FloorOut02.jpg

I still have a small deck in the very bow to cut out but the heat and carpenter ants I found under the floor got to me.

Here's a side view of the stringers in the bow, I'm wondering if adding a ski locker would be as simple as just notching the keel board and adding a drop bottom. Thoughts?

05FrontStringer01.jpg

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Well my resin and supplies showed up today. Is it normal to be able to smell the resin in a sealed bucket? I can't find a leak but there is a strong odor around it.

I got the 404 from USC is this waxed? I was reading another thread where he was using a different # resin and mentioned needing wax just making sure of what I have and having all I need on the shelf to be ready to go.

I have all week of windshield time to plan things out so:

Any tips on getting the stringer out in close to one piece for template use? FWIW I'm fairly good with my little die grinder.

Any thoughts on the ski locker idea?

Since I'm now planning on trying to roll it over to clean up the keel and some scratches in the bottom and paint. Is all gutted out the optimum time to do it due to less weight or should I plan on getting transom and stringers back in for rigidity?

Hoping to get the rest of the floor out, stringers and at least finish cleaning out the debris and ants.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well my resin and supplies showed up today. Is it normal to be able to smell the resin in a sealed bucket? I can't find a leak but there is a strong odor around it. This stuff STINKS Just wait till you OPEN IT!!!

I got the 404 from USC is this waxed? NO I was reading another thread where he was using a different # resin and mentioned needing wax just making sure of what I have and having all I need on the shelf to be ready to go. You don't need wax until the final coat on the deck and even then some guys don't use it.

I have all week of windshield time to plan things out so:

Any tips on getting the stringer out in close to one piece for template use? FWIW I'm fairly good with my little die grinder.You can try but really no need. A Grade School compass and some cardboard will make a template in short order.

Any thoughts on the ski locker idea? How deep is the distance from the deck to the bottom of the hull. From what I can see it does not look that deep. I would think you would need a minimum of 12 -16" for a practical ski locker. And with a middle stringer it would make it a little inconvenient.

Since I'm now planning on trying to roll it over to clean up the keel and some scratches in the bottom and paint. Is all gutted out the optimum time to do it due to less weight or should I plan on getting transom and stringers back in for rigidity? IMHO I'd deck it and install the transom first. It will still weigh under 400 lbs. Some braces, beer, and a couple of friends and you'll be able to flip her with NOOOOOO Problemos!!!!

Hoping to get the rest of the floor out, stringers and at least finish cleaning out the debris and ants.

See my comments above in blue. You're making great Progess. Bracing LOOKS GOOD. FLIPPING mine over this week and buildig a Similar system.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Wood, and if I haven't said, implied, or otherwise - THANKS ALOT!

I truly do appreciate having all the answers for the noob questions at my finger tips.

Good luck getting yours flipped.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Hoping to get everything cleaned up enough to start working on new transom this weekend. Ideally I'll get it done but being as this is my first try at fiberglassing I'll be happy just to get it laminated and shaped.

My main worry is trying to pour quarts of resin out of a five gallon bucket I saw this one on HF's site and wondered if it will work for resin? If so with luck they will have one like it in stock at my local HF. If not can anyone recommend a name brand place to look for a pump? Or even a general supplier category to look to.

I've got Woods transom build up pic and understand how it should go but not sure about the process. Should I just rough cut the ply, glass just the mating sides, laminate the two pieces, trim to get the fit right, then glass the whole thing?

Which brings me to the final (for now) question, when I lam the two halves together I don't want so much pressure as to squeeze the resin out and starve the joint right? So what's the best way "clamp" this up?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice Pump! Hope they have one, that would really be nice for a five gallon can.

Here's what I'd do on the transom. Tack em together DRY and cut em to fit. Separate them and precoat them with resin only and really coat the Edges WELL!!!! HINT: Get two 1 x 2's about 3ft long and drive a a 6 penny nail thru each end of them Lay them across some saw horses This will be your Drying rack for the transom. the Nail points will allow you to flip the wet side of the transom over onto the nail points and coat the other side. Hope this makes sense. After both pieces are TACKY...Don't have to be DRY.... Should take about 20 minutes. Coat the two mating surfaces with resin and lay the mat and use a roller to roll it out smooth then lay em up. use a couple of clamps to hold em in place and make sure the edges say aligned, then use some regular deck screws to screw em together about every 6-8 inches. In about an hour remove the screws. Now you can coat one of the outer sides make sure resin fills in the screw holes and lay the mat. Cut the mat big enough so you can wrap the edges. Let it dry and in 30 Minutes flip it over ( use the nail Rack) and do the other side the same way, wrapping the mat over the edges again. Try NOT to get air bubles . You'll have about 15-20 minutes working time with the resin so mix only the amount you can get applied in that amount of time.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Makes perfect sense. Also do I csm one face or both faces in the middle of the lam?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Started grinding for the transom yesterday got halfway through using a 3" 40 grit sanding pad on an air die grinder. Was only working so so, so I broke down and spent $10 on one of the layered style 36 grit sand/grind discs for the angle grinder. Man oh man why didn't I just trust and follow the crowd? :facepalm: That works way better.

Hows my grind job look?

06TransomGround01.jpg

I would like input on what if anything I should do in a few spots.

This big pock in the floor, try and grind it out? Fill it? Don't worry it will get filled when I fillet for tabbing?

06TransomGround03.jpg

No good way to get into the corner, try and fill it? Would I get adhesion?

06TransomGround04.jpg

I do wonder if the corner really make a difference since the transom that was there didn't touch at all top to bottom but you can see where the sides of the hull were built up to the face and then tabbed.

Once the transom is glued in I'll need to back fill the entire gap around anyway right? So maybe do it now or do it later doesn't matter. Any of this make sense?

I also got the transom what I think is fit but almost wonder if I left enough space for the extra the csm wrap will add. Its 1/8 to 1/4" most the way around but in space along the bottom might be closer to 1/2".

Se what you think.

06TransomFit04.jpg

Bottom average

06TransomFit09.jpg

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Side

06TransomFit02.jpg

And finally am I kidding myself thinking this will be easier to cut out and have it match by waiting until after it's glued in?

06TransomFit013.jpg

Does the top of the transom need to be bevelled or square? I didn't pay attention and can't remember how the old on was.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW!!! I'm thinkin you did a Great JOB!!! The thickened resin and PB you'll be usin for the final install will take care of all those little gouges etc... Really Nice job on the Grinding!!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Wood,

As proud of it as I was after reading another trans thread I think I need to go out further as I only ground out about 6" from where the outside of the trans will sit.

I started this morning by going out and rounding over the outside edges of both pieces w/ a router. Sanded it all down w/ some 60 grit to knock the splinters away and was getting ready to do this when a nice storm rolled up and cut loose.:facepalm:

I read somewhere you had said FG in a garage when it was raining was "not recommended". Is the reasoning just because it's most likely to come in and get something wet? Or is there there something to do w/ the humidity?

Doesn't matter I could tell it was going to be blowing in anyway so I just shut the door and came in.

Tell me if I've got this PB thing figured out,

In the process of adhering the wood to the trans I'll mix it mainly w/ cabisol to make a pasty somewhat gap filling glue, and for the process of filling the gaps and filleting I'll mix it mainly w/ the chopstrand right?

Are the two strictly one or the other or just heavily leaning on one w/ a touch of the other?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Also as to the top of the trans would I be better off just to get it totally cut an shaped and sealed before putting it in or am I going to have to glass over the top and down the back either way?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Humidity!!!!

PB is correct. the Cabosil is kinda a figure it out thing. I recommend 1:1 to start and see what you get If you mix a quart of resin use a quart of cabosil and see what kind of consistency you get. for Gluing the Transom to the outer skin I like a Heavy mayonaise. For Filleting I like a Creamy Peanut butter. Once you've done a couple you'll know it when you see it. Make SURE and mix the Catalyst and resin FIRST and then ADD the Cabosil.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

So where does the chopped fiber come in? I watched someone's "how to make PB" video and noticed he threw a pinch in.

I went out this afternoon and did the lay up. Hopefully it comes out right. I've been following flamron's thread about glassing and I fear I may have not added enough MEKP. Starting to wonder if USC measure cap isn't off. Went the 1/8oz but it seems to be drying slowly. Mixed up 4 pints one at a time as I needed them and worked for about an hour between precoat which did tack up after about 20 min and having it put together and screwed down. I took the left over resin from wetting out the csm and used it to do a seal coat on the outside. Which at last check (about 20 -30 min after I quit fussing it) was tacking up but I haven't been out in awhile to check on it since I'm on kid duty.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

So its been an hour since I quit and its just tacky enough to leave a finger print w/o feeling tacky, and these edges are stiff but still flexible. Shouldn't they be rock hard little needles by now?

PICT0030.jpg

Guess I'l just watch it and hope my lamination works out. Hopefully its hard and I can get the screws out Wed when I get back.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah maybe next batch increase the catalyst a smidge. It will still set up ok just slow.
Chopped fibers are for the PB when you do the filleting around the edges.
I'd even put some in when you attach it to the hull. It adds some strength and aids in keeping the resin from cracking. Nice JOB on your NAIL Strips. Exactly what I had in mind.;)

emoney

Commander

If that was the original set of stringers in there, you can tell the builder put some pride in it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Ya I looked at the measuring cap for the MEKP and the 5cc line is not quite halfway between the 1/8 and 1/4 oz lines, so I'm guessing I should start looking at the cc's and not at the oz. Plus its only mid 60s so maybe should of gone for 7cc.

Think I dare take the screws out tonight? How hard do you suppose they will be to get out Wed. night?

The nail strips I knew right out what you were talking about since I've used that before in finishing wood projects.