1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 19' AeroCraft Help Formulating A Resto Plan

Pretty sweet skills TDF!, first time in here cant believe I missed it! Another aerocraft owner, of course mines tin.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks AJ and MD,

That's the 2nd guitar I've made and working on a 3rd. No other hidden talents just a knack for fixing things and making stuff out of wood.

MD you probably missed it since I got distracted by the Jetstar and there hasn't been much progress on this old girl. I'd hoped to get some money back into the budget for this and get more done by now but it hasn't panned out. Now I'm hoping for it to happen next spring.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Doooooood!
I am blown away...that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen!
A cigar box guitar with matching amp...outa this world!
I could never play, but would love to learn how to build one of those, someday...
BTW, if you have a special cigar box that you want, let me know...I'll try to scrounge it up for you...my sister owns a cigar shop;)
Thanks for sharing...

D

Deleted member 340796

Thanks AJ and MD,

That's the 2nd guitar I've made and working on a 3rd. No other hidden talents just a knack for fixing things and making stuff out of wood.

MD you probably missed it since I got distracted by the Jetstar and there hasn't been much progress on this old girl. I'd hoped to get some money back into the budget for this and get more done by now but it hasn't panned out. Now I'm hoping for it to happen next spring.

TDF, OMG, what do you mean no other hidden talents? Working with wood and doing it with the quality you clearly do is a HUGE HIDDEN TALENT. I am impressed. I wish I had those wood working skills. I have a guitar and I wish I could play it too, but all in time! :eagerness: Way to go, keep up the great work. Can't wait to see you get back at the boat. :popcorn:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks GT, you feel the same way as many others and they tend to make one and use it to learn to play.:) I played guitar before so I was ahead on that front but there's tons about playing and building on Youtube (search CBG). Not to mention Cigar Box Nation and Handmade Music Clubhouse. I may take you up on that box finder offer. :D

AJ it's funny the path I've taken, I've always been handy and especially interested in woodworking which leads me to always think it'll be cheaper to buy cheap and fix or just make. Even though I(we all) know these thoughts are wrong unless you want something custom or quality. My woodworking led me to want to make guitars but I didn't know how to play. I Youtubed and took lessons, learned to play, and was starting to think about making a guitar again about the time I found CBGs. While different in some aspects a lot of the skills I'm learning making these will transfer to more typical guitar making. That said I'm not sure I want to go that route anymore as these are quite satisfying to build and have that uniqueness that a normal guitar lacks. Who knows I may just get a making a normal guitar but it's not in the forefront like it was before.
I'm trapped in the same sort of circle with boats. I've always (and still do) dreamed of building a wooden boat but as I researched the process I realized how much fiberglass played into it. That's about the time I decided to look for a project boat. So as I eventually work through this restore I'll gain the FG knowledge and confidence to combine that with woodworking skills and turn it into my end goal.
I guess the moral of that story is to just get out there and do it (as I know you are) and before you know it it doesn't seem like a hidden talent its just another day of doing what you love. :joyous:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Good lord it's been a long time I've been lurking.

As life got busy I fell away from this and I've spent the last year trying to place a value on the time I'd spend to finish this vs. cutting my losses. With no real sentimental tie to the boat beyond the time I've spent vrooming in it today I finally found an answer. I found (and acted on) a deal on a finished 79' Starcraft SS, so Unfortunately for this old girl I'm giving up the ghost and going back to my tinnie roots.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Too cold for good pics, Once it warms up I'll be sure to get some pics and post to the thread JB. I do have a few I saved from the CL ad to show the wife.

It does have an OMC stringer leg that worries me but if it gives too many problems I think I know where to find help on a conversion which is a project I think I find more in my skill set.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Nice Looking Tin.

I rather have a WLOD syndrome as opposed to Glassitus. Motors don't make you itch.

Welcome to the Starmada.:joyous:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Since I'm leaving this in my sig I figured I'd wrap it up for posterity

It gets a bit cluttered by the Jet deal coming with half a trailer but I'll include that in the breakdown

Purchase price for the AC and trailer $500.
I figure roughly another $500 in resin, glass, wood, tools(glass specific) ect.
Half of trailer in Jet deal $50
Disposal of hull >$40 (it was in w/ a load of other stuff to the landfill but I'll list the entire cost)

Sold:
Johnson and parts Evinrude $400
Axle from original Jet trailer $50 (tongue went to half trailer)
Trailer meant for Jet $100

I didn't try to part out any of the other stuff off the hull and suppose I could of held out for more on the motor but I wanted the room freed up

Cash - $1100 in, $550 out

So i figure I paid $550 for a heavy duty trailer for the Jet and broke even.