16' 68 Starcraft Trident Project!!

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMG-20110520-00084.jpgIMG-20110520-00082.jpgIMG-20110520-00081.jpgIMG-20110520-00083.jpgIMG-20110520-00085.jpg

Here we go!!! Practically got this puppy for free... Floor seems solid, but its coming up to inspect for rot. Transom has a soft spot and I think it will be pretty difficult to repair. Any tips appriciated... Also looking for the starboard transom cap as seen in the pic, I figure it will be very hard to find- if anyone knows someone that may have one I am interested.

Came with a 63 evinrude 18hp fastwin Model 18303, PO stated it ran a few years ago before it sat. Being new to outboards, any tips for start up procedure and what should be checked before I attempt will help. Not sure if 18hp is adequate for this boat, thinking of trading up for a 30hp.

Will update with progress as it comes along....

Thanks Guys...

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 16' 68 Starcraft Trident Project!!

i would say that if you serious about fixing the transom, you will probably have to pop the entire cap off the boat, then if the starboard transom area can't be fixed , you could just find another boat with a good cap. I think you should be able to fix it with some glass work.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your boat is way underpowered however, based on the seating .....it look like it was used strictly for fishing. It would make a fairly stable fishing rig since it is a tri hull

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats Dry Dock!!!

What do you want to do with her? Is she Just going to be a fishing boat? Are you wanting to pull the kids behind her and go "Tubing"? Do you want her to "LOOK" new or just be functional? Give us an idea of how far you want to go with her. You ARE correct in the fact that the Deck should come out and the stringers should be checked for rot. Transom MUST be replaced and from the looks of that BIG splashwell the Top Cap will either need to be Cut off or the Top cap Removed to get to the transom. Let us know what your intentions are and get the deck out and take some more pics. Motor would be OK for just fishing but NOT for Family Fun. That boat should be good for up to 85HP, IF you repair it correctly. Does she have a HIN (HULL Identification Number) plate on the back of the transom? It might tell you the HP rating for the hull.

Read This thread IT will give you an idea of what you will be dealing with.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=441929&highlight=parrisw

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

deck.jpgdeck2.jpg

Top Cap is off, and gee what did we find under the first layer of deck??? HMMMM, Fiberglass over another rotten deck that just so happened to be installed with nails... Geez, some people. Everything is coming out, stringers, transom the whole ball of wax.

If anyone has left over fiberglass materials, I would be a buyer.....

Once this is done the main usage will be for fishing seeing as how Washington has aLOT of that, not to mention the water around here mostlikely doesnt even get warm enough to enjoy. However, I dont want to be underpowered so I will get to that later. Ive been following a few transom/stringer replacement threads on here so I am pretty well prepared for whats to come. I will certainly keep progress posted, this boat looks and feels like it will be perfect for us.

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hull is rated up to 100 hp, I thinking more on the 50-60 hp range. Also, I would like your honest opinions on what a boat like this would be worth restored. I will be taking pictures of the whole process so a potential buyer would be able to see first hand what was done. Not that Im going to sell it, I just dont want to put more into it than its potentially worth (if that makes sense).

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just trying to re post pics....

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
  • deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now you know why there is NOT SUCH THING AS A FREE BOAT!!!!:eek:

In my humble opinion With a good running motor, Nice interior, Hull and Topside Painted and pristine,Trailer in Good condition and All of your receipts from the restore you MIGHT be able to get $2500.00 At least in my neck of the woods. Check Craigslist and see if there are any similar boats of that vintage in good shape for sale. But you are going to have to buy a bigger motor and my rough guess-ti-mate is you will have close to $1,000 in her with the Deck, Stringers and Transom rebuild. Not sure what you will have to do with the interior and motor. Soooo..... I guess what I'm saying is it is highly unlikely that you will be able to sell her for what you will spend restoring her. If she is NOT what you are looking for and you do NOT want to spend the Time, Effort, and Money to restore her then you might want to cut her loose and search for another boat. Thats MY opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The hull is rated up to 100 hp, I thinking more on the 50-60 hp range. Also, I would like your honest opinions on what a boat like this would be worth restored. I will be taking pictures of the whole process so a potential buyer would be able to see first hand what was done. Not that Im going to sell it, I just dont want to put more into it than its potentially worth (if that makes sense).

I think a 3 cylinder Johnson/Evinrude or Mercury would be an ideal motor for that boat. 65HP+

As for "return on investment", that's a pretty poor candidate. Not to be the bearer of bad news but tri-hulls, even in mint condition, look very dated and aren't particularly desirable. Even in the PNW land of overpriced boats, I agree with Woodonglass' $2500 suggestion as the absolute most you could get for it in excellent condition with a great running, properly sized for the boat, motor.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think a 3 cylinder Johnson/Evinrude or Mercury would be an ideal motor for that boat. 65HP+

As for "return on investment", that's a pretty poor candidate. Not to be the bearer of bad news but tri-hulls, even in mint condition, look very dated and aren't particularly desirable. Even in the PNW land of overpriced boats, I agree with Woodonglass' $2500 suggestion as the absolute most you could get for it in excellent condition with a great running, properly sized for the boat, motor.

Am going to agree with Ez here, I do live in the PNW where boats are stupidly priced compared to the midwest and such and a trihull is not really going to be bringing you a whole lot of money I am sorry to say. Here is an example of one in fairly good shape out here, but it is ugly. http://salem.craigslist.org/boa/2390177147.html and http://salem.craigslist.org/boa/2356677076.html and an 18 footer http://salem.craigslist.org/boa/2376990078.html

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your not kidding!!! Who in their right mind would paint their boat that color?? Anyway, the plan is not to sell it just that when its all said and done its worth something. The deck is up so far and I must say these stringers are HUGE!! I was afraid they would be soaked as well but come to find out the three main stringers are hardwood with glass - center stringer measures 12" high and 3" wide. They seem to still be solid as a rock, but more to find later after cleanup and removal of all the bad wood. I would be most happy to find these stringers are still solid and dry, core samples to come.

Scored a 40 hp running Evinrude for $100, the 18hp came to life today... She runs but wont idle, tune up pending. I think the 40 will suffice for now, dont really plan to ski off her, just fishin...

Attachments

• IMG-20110523-00010.jpg
    IMG-20110523-00010.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110523-00012.jpg
    IMG-20110523-00012.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110523-00011.jpg
    IMG-20110523-00011.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You got a GREAT lookin First Mate!!!!

emoney

Commander

When it comes to stringers, you're talking safety and if that little first mate in the pic is going to be riding in this thing, that's priority #1.

As for the value, my 2 cents are similar to everyone else's. Restoring these old boats are all about having a special place for them in your heart. You'll probably never recoup your investment, so plan for that going in. However, once you've finished it the right way, you'll also not be able to replace it for what you have in it and it will probably be more solid that most of the new boats on the market so it's a "win-win".

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ugh, I suppose this transome is gonna come out fighting!! Im trying to cut it out in sections, but I guess Ill have to chip away layer by layer. Is this typical?? Any tips welcome...

Tools available: 4" angle grinder, rotozip, oscillating plunge cutter, skill saw.
36 grit flap discs take care of the glass without any problems, its the wood thats slowing me down..

Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG-20110527-00042.jpg
    IMG-20110527-00042.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110527-00041.jpg
    IMG-20110527-00041.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well all the wood is gone, grinding should be finished tomorrow - pics to come. Ive seen all kinds of thoughts on the proper wood for the transom. Today I saw 3/4" 4x8 sheets of oak plywood for $45 bucks a sheet, any input??

Thanks...

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sea Raider, I went out like a rookie and bought the 3/4 Marine grade plywood and it cost me close to $90. Thinking there'd be no risk of voids in the ply. Brother, I'll never do it again, voids in many places. I considered the oak ply myself when I started and wish'd I would have gotten it. My opinion is.... buy it. You'll be encasing it in epoxy and even if you do a horrible job it will hold up just long enough for your little guy to start his restore project. Good Luck

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Preparing hull for repairs, man I had no Idea gel coat would kick off sooo fast at 60 degrees... Now the waiting game begins for my FG materials.

Attachments

• IMG-20110530-00047.jpg
    IMG-20110530-00047.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110530-00048.jpg
    IMG-20110530-00048.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110530-00049.jpg
    IMG-20110530-00049.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Question regarding two part gel coat: yesterday this stuff kicked off in my mixing bucket turned into a rubber ball within 3 minutes. I mixed according to their specs however today it is still quite tacky to the touch. Do I have to wait until it fully cures, or can I lay my patches down??

Thanks...

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: transom is glued in... Ahh the tough part (or what I thought was tough) is over... IMG-20110605-00050.jpgIMG-20110605-00052.jpgIMG-20110605-00051.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

SRI,

What were you using Gelcoat for? What kind of Plywood did you use? I hope NOT the Oak plywood. It is for INTERIOR use. The laminations are glued with Interior glue and could cause problems even though you will be encasing with resin and glass. You did a good job of fitting it to the boat. Did you tab it to the sides and bottom? How much overlap? What did you use for overlap material. What did you use to glue the transom to the outer skin of the boat? How did you clamp it?