1981 "SpaceCraft Boat Works, Miami FL" 23.33ft 4100lb V240 Super Sport

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 "SpaceCraft Boat Works, Miami FL" 23.33ft 4100lb V240 Super Sport

That cleaned up extremely well. Amazing. Just gotta figure out how to clean up those rust stains and it'll look like new.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks dude!
I was so proud of the results, my girl did a ton though I have to take my hat off to her on this one.

I think we are going to try some acetone for the stains, that should help with that. But yeah all the marine growth and debris stains came of with the bleach / degreaser combo perfectly. Couldn't be happier.

I think i've decided to go with the Ford motor since it is freshly rebuilt and the number of components required to get it operational are fewer than the Chevy.
I bid on some nice exhaust manifolds / risers on Ebay, and i'm also going to get a new transom seal boot and alternator pulley since I don't have one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Maybe throw a post up in the general boating section. I know there've been threads before about removing rust stains I and know there have been some good ideas tossed about.

emoney

Commander

Those are great "Before and After" pics. It's amazing what a little elbow grease can accomplish, isn't it? I always think it's sad to see a cool old boat like this get neglected, but to each his own, I suppose.

Actually, Wally World has some degreaser in their Marine Department in a dark blue bottle that works really well. I just traded for a jet boat that was living under an oak tree and it took off a lot of the "stains". You might try that before the acetone. Keep up the good work and if I had a vote on the motor, I'd say 302 Ford. Mainly because you stated it had just been rebuilt, but also because I think the 302 is a stronger engine. Keep us updated and keep those pics rolling!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Try Sno Bol Toilet Cleaner and a Scotch Brite pad on those Rust Stains. It works GREAT!!!!! Wear a mask and gloves cuz it has an acid base to it.;)

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All such great suggestions, thanks a ton guys. I will give all this a try next opportunity I get. Might be a week or two before I get to work on the boat again due to schedule and crap. During that time I plan on acquiring the missing parts I need for the engine and get ready to drop that bad boy in (and remove the old one)

The water pump on the ford is NOT the wrong one, it's just that I was missing the pulley that goes over it (lol) which is a recessed looking pulley that brings the v-grooves back several inches. Bidding on one on ebay now.
I hope the alternator on there is still good, if not I can grab another one cheap enough.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You guys got any idea where I can get a complete "kit" of cooling hoses? I have 0 rubber on this motor. I need the ones that go from the water pump to the thermostat, etc every single one (see my pics in post 1)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Post up in the OMC I/O section. Lots of motor and drive gurus on here but not many of them hang out in the resto section.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just got my 22hole transom seal in, brand new.
Also ordered two HGE manifolds from www.manifoldwarehouse.com for 155$ a piece. NOT a bad price for new manifolds. He also gave me new gaskets for everything and a bolt kit.
Just won the auction on ebay for my water pump pulley, hope it fits and everything.
I am hopefully stopping by lanier marine www.laniermarine.com today to pick up the thermostat housing, thermostat, and lower thermostat housing since this 302 was setup for closed loop cooling at some point.
I will also check with them for belts and some of the remaining misc items I need, like exhaust bellows and such.

The original OMC design had cast iron down pipes from the risers to the outdrive, I plan on using rubber bellows for the entire section, versus just the connections. I hope this won't be an issue?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you've got a good chance of keeping that old dinosaur running!

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good grief I just started researching registering this thing in Georgia since its from Florida. What a nightmare, I have to have the original title or a letter from the office in Florida.

I don't even know what the last registered owners name was, the guy I bought it from never registered it.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well just sent in my registration "attempt", we will see what happens....

Tomorrow holds a full day of working on the boat. I drove up yesterday to check on things, only to find that one of the tires had exploded while it was sitting in the boat storage pen. Great... So i'm going to get that fixed after work today while it's sitting on jack stands (hope no one tries to touch it!!!)

Guy at the boat yard is going to help me he said, he's got a forklift for pulling motors and stuff so that should help out a LOT. I am considering just giving him the 305 chevy so that he'll help me get it in the water. I think thats a fair deal considering everything it will need.

emoney

Commander

Just a suggestion, but I'd make sure there's not going to be title issues before I spend a ton on this boat. All states are starting to "crack down" when it comes to boat titles because there's been a lot of shady deals that have taken place throughout the years. Florida has now made it to where, basically, if a 'seller' doesn't have a title, we've all learned to move on and find another one. Surely Georgia won't be as hard to get along with as FL is, but still, I wouldn't spend tons of money on the boat itself, until I absolutely knew I'd be able to title it. I add that suggestion because I've seen guys throw guts and glory at boats before, not to mention tons of money, only to find out it was all for naught.

On another note, the "buddy" will be tons of help because that forklift will make motor removal/installation a breeze.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah i'm trying really hard to believe that the Georgia DNR will just accept my copy of the old registration card as enough, along with a witnessed bill of sale.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, no pics because i'm SO SUNBURNED and exhausted, but the outdrive is out, transom seal removed, old engine removed, side fiberglass kick panel is removed and the gear housing is sitting in the boat stearing cable still attached (nice little trick)

I'll be mating up the Ford intermediate housing to it. Tomorrow provided I can work with this sunburn, i'll be pressure washing the ford, painting it and preparing it for installation. Also cleaning the engine bay and buffing the exterior hull around where the outdrive seal mounts. That way later on when I buff the entire hull (after its water ready :) i'll have the part underneath the seal and outdrive already buffed!

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1st post updated with pics from yesterday. Too sunburnt to work today, and also the guy that was helping me I believe took his wife into labor today since he was MIA. It was scheduled for tomorrow, but you can't exactly "Schedule" a child's birth LOL

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I get an email from the guy I got the boat from the other day:

"Found a GA DNR Boat registration for a SpaceCraft boat, is that yours?"

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

So I get an email from the guy I got the boat from the other day:

"Found a GA DNR Boat registration for a SpaceCraft boat, is that yours?"

That's good news....should make your end a bit easier now...

fllflash

Recruit

Digitized,
I have a 1982 spacecraft that I fully restored, including repowering with mercruiser and as a result I have the complete OMC service manuel that, if tou don't have one, would be invaluable in your effort.
Let me know if you need it.
fllflash