1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Everybody,

This is my new old boat. I just got it last week from my father-in-law. It has been sitting for 4-5 years, and I believe was not used much before that. My wife's dad and grandpa bought it new in 1972 and used it in Minnesota and I believe used it quite a bit in the 70's, 80's, and maybe early 90's. The engine runs, and about have the electronics work. I am new to boating and this boat. My prior experience includes my canoe with a trolling motor, and the hand full of times I have rented a boat. I am hoping to get the boat ready for this summer. My biggest concern is the transom, which feels soft around much of the edges. However, it does feel solid in the middle area. I have done anything with the outdrive yet either. I hear that I will most likely need a new impellor and oil in the outdrive as a minimum. I hoping to as much of this as I can myself, mainly to save money. Here are some pics. I am open to any ideas and advice; thanks in advance.

Attachments

• boat outdrive (3).jpg
    boat outdrive (3).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2
  • boat under engine.jpg
    boat under engine.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 2
  • boat transom crack 2.jpg
    boat transom crack 2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 2
  • boat starcraft.jpg
    boat starcraft.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 2
  • boat outdrive (5).jpg
    boat outdrive (5).jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 2

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

Nice boat, and that is one of the more rare ones. We don't see many Nova's on here. I really like the looks of them. Check the Starcraft Forum here as well, there are probably close to a hundred different threads of Starcraft aluminum boats in various stages of restoration. There are a lot of us from Michigan as well. Welcome.

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Another Michigan guy :D Sweet, Welcome captinnate! Nice boat as well!

Yup like DJ said, check out the Starcraft forums there are a ton of Starcraft boats around here. Transoms in Starcrafts really aren't hard to replace, and I'm sure someone will stop by that has an I/O and help you out with that. I don't know much about I/O's so I'm no help there either, outboard guy here :). Starcrafts are very very easy to work on by the way :D

Good Luck! :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey neighbor! Where abouts are ya in the mid part of MI?

Nova's are super sharp rigs man, nice job!:D

Welcome!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm in Freeland. I don't know if this boat really needs a "restoration." It has not been used in a while, but I think it was fine before that. Anyway, I hope it doesn't need too much. I would be happy not to replace the transom just yet. Maybe I can get through the summer before I work on that. The transom is definitely soft around much of the edges, but solid in the middle. I guess if it doesn't leak, and is not going to fall apart on me then it should be okay. I know the conservative solution here. However, all the connections from the engine to the outdrive have me a little intimidated. I don't want to take that all apart and have a hard time putting it back together. I also have to investigate an electrical issue. As far as I can tell everything electronic on the front of the boat works, bow nav light, instrument lights, compass light, lowarance etc., but nothing on the back works. The bilge pump, blower, and anchor light all don't work. I might be missing a fuse or something. I gotta go for now. Thanks.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, we really are neighbors - I'd be just west of you a piece!

Take a good look at that transom, it takes all the force of that IO outdrive.

Man she sure is a sharp rig, love the lines on those Nova's. If I were to want a fun little ski boat, that would be it! Cheers!:D

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I think it is a pretty good looking boat also. The transom comes up again when you talk about pulling a tube or a skier. How it is set up right now, the only places to attach a rope are on the transom. It doesn't look too hard to replace the transom. I don't think I would have to do much as far as the aluminum hull goes. It looks like I would just have to remove the piece of aluminum which is over the engine, and then slide out the old plywood, and put the new stuff in. The hard part might be taking off the outdrive and reattaching it properly. It does look like the transom does carry a lot of weight. There is only one engine mount, and then it looks like the transom takes the rest of the load. Also, I started reading your thread; are boats may be similar in many ways.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome. That is a rare model. Heck it's a rare size for a rare model :p Definitely never saw an 18' before. Cool!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the compliments, it is a nice looking boat.

djpeters, Azlo's thread is amazing. Thank you for that link. I have already spent hours reading it.

I don't know how you guys do it. There must be a lot of learning and patience among you guys. I ran the engine the other day on ear muffs (is that what you call them) and the garden hose. Then today I checked the oil and it is milky. Frankly it scares the crap out of me. Believe it or not I have an engineering degree, but it doesn't seem to be helping right now. It also shot out some chunks of what appear to be rusted iron/steel from the engine during the ear muff run. I think most of the rust came out of the prop, and some out of the two holes near the the top of the outdrive. I think I may just take it to a marina in Saginaw and have them take a look. I heard that Saginaw Marina Inc, on Lee street is suppose to be decent. Anybody in the area have opinions on a decent shop? I wish I had a better idea of what some of this boat stuff cost, and how to get this thing sea worthy. With very little experience, I feel like I'm just guessing on most of it. I probably should just visit the marina and get some help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Could be a cracked block or could be your exhaust manifolds/risers are shot. I/O's can be real expensive to get running if they've been neglected.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the compliments, it is a nice looking boat.

djpeters, Azlo's thread is amazing. Thank you for that link. I have already spent hours reading it.

I don't know how you guys do it. There must be a lot of learning and patience among you guys. I ran the engine the other day on ear muffs (is that what you call them) and the garden hose. Then today I checked the oil and it is milky. Frankly it scares the crap out of me. Believe it or not I have an engineering degree, but it doesn't seem to be helping right now. It also shot out some chunks of what appear to be rusted iron/steel from the engine during the ear muff run. I think most of the rust came out of the prop, and some out of the two holes near the the top of the outdrive. I think I may just take it to a marina in Saginaw and have them take a look. I heard that Saginaw Marina Inc, on Lee street is suppose to be decent. Anybody in the area have opinions on a decent shop? I wish I had a better idea of what some of this boat stuff cost, and how to get this thing sea worthy. With very little experience, I feel like I'm just guessing on most of it. I probably should just visit the marina and get some help.

Bad news right there Nate:(

I have a little experience with all four of the closest marine dealers in the area. The place I would take it to is Townline Enterprises down in St. Charles. Small place but they are honest, up front and very fair pricing. Second to that, Pangborne Marine over in Midland on 20. Third, Bay Outboard in Saginaw, get your wallet out.

But honestly, I don't think I would bother with any of them. If you have milkshake oil they are going to most likely tell you that a new engine is in order. Then hand you a bill for $250

Hey man, I drive through Freeland everyday. Probably within a stones throw of your place. I am happy to stop by and kick around some ideas with you so long as I'm not running Dad's taxi for the kiddos.:)

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jasoutside,

Thanks for the marina info. I guy I work with said the Saginaw Marina was down to earth, and treated him well. Have you ever been to that one?

I only got the boat about two weeks ago. It had been sitting for 4-5 years in a pole barn before that. I hope I didn't do something to the engine when I ran it on the ear muffs. I guess it doesn't really matter, the thing is old, and it may have been me, or it may have been damaged before that. It woudn't turn over when we pulled it out of the barn up in MN. We had to put diesel fuel in the spark plug holes and let it sit for a day. After that we had a mechanic (auto mechanic) get it running. We worked together and changed the oil, plugs, points and a fuel line. He got it started just for a minute or two and then shut it off. We didn't have any water going through it during that first short run, so of course no water to go in the oil. Either way, most of this may have to wait. I don't have the funds to start pouring money into it right now. That would be great if you stopped by and took a look at the boat. I am new to this forum also, so I don't know the best way to go about this, maybe I'll try to send you a PM with my phone number and address. Thanks.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally tinkered with the boat a little more this morning. The engine was running okay (a few weeks ago), and then it would only run for a few seconds, like it had a fuel problem. I decided to try and clean the fuel tank. Here are some pics of what was in the fuel tank; definitely varnish like color of fuel. Maybe some of that garbage got into other parts of the fuel system and maybe that is why the engine was running semi decent and now not so much. I'm also going to replace the fuel filter and some of the fuel lines, hopefully that helps. Does anybody have any easy ways to clean a fuel tank? I was just planning on adding new gasoline and swishing it around, then repeating a few times.

Attachments

• 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 0

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The easy way to clean it is to bring it to a radiator shop. They can boil it out. It will be cleaner than new. I had a 50 gallon tank done and it ran $90, BUT it was really really nasty. He said they had to do it twice. I would think yours would be considerably less $$$.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to check with some radiator shops in the area. I might as well do the job right the first time.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jason,

I think I skimmed over it before, but reread it again just now. It is amazing how much info/experience is on this forum. I still have lots to read. As far as the engine block goes; I'll have to post a picture of the dipstick. I'm still hoping for the best; I will have to investigate further. At this point I'm pretty sure I need to replace the transom, and at least part of the floor. Stop by sometime when you are passing through Freeland.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Actually, I might be headed by your place later today. If I have kids in tow I'll be skipping ya (mayhem:D). If I am traveling solo I'll give ya a ring, I've got your number.:)

Talk to you soon!