1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

So what else is recommend while the engine is out?

I'd be thinking all the regular routine maintenance items like gimbal bearing, bellows, check through the outdrive, alignment yadayada.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check the motor mount stringers. Some are aluminum tubes with a wood filler. If the transom is rotted, there is a good chance the wood inside the tube is also.

You will be removing the outdrive completely to R/R the transom. So it would be a good time to check the lower shift cable, replace the gimbal bearing, replace the bellows, check/repack the u-joints and do the impeller if you have no history.

You will be doing alignment as you put it all back together.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Check the motor mount stringers. Some are aluminum tubes with a wood filler.

This one here has the front engine mount, but yah, I'd definitely be building a new one of those while you are at it:watermelon:

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, that's some to of the stuff I was thinking. This is all new to me, so I will have to do my homework on each item.

Jas, I have a question about the Arauco plywood. I was just at Menards in Saginaw buying supplies for another project, but thought I would check the Arauco plywood. I noticed the 3/4" stuff had a sticker that said 23/32" on it. Is this the stuff you used? I know you epoxied your transom on the Islander, did that add a little to the thickness?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, for the Islander I actually went marine grade ply, TiteBond III to laminate, something like 5 coats of epoxy, 4 coats of rustoleum and a 1/4" thick alum plate notch trowled with 5200 to get me to the Merc specs. How you get there certainly up to you though.

That Araco will work great, you just need the extra "plate" (ply works fine) to get you to spec.

GA_Boater

Nate - the Arauco 23/32 is between 5/8 and 3/4. Closer to 3/4, only shy by 1/32". I think I did the math right. I like Jason's idea of the aluminum plate to bring it up to spec. I have trouble finding thinner exterior grade ply. Arauco is good stuff. I used it for my floor and side panels - I didn't find any voids.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Nate, You may find that your forward engine mount doesn't need repacement. My '72 Holiday's mount was in surprisingly good shape, perhaps because it had been sealed by a film of leaked engine oil at some point. In regard to transom thickness, you have 2 targets to meet. The pocket provided by the aluminum Z brackets riveted to the transom will determine what overall transom thickness that you need. Then you need to add a "horse collar" shim to the inside where the engine mounts to achieve Mercruiser's thickness requirements. I think I used one piece each of 3/4" and 5/8" with an outer shell of Formica on all sides that worked out perfectly. I then used a piece of plastic sign board material (1/2"?) similar to Starboard for the horse collar. It has a similar resilience to the original plywood and will never rot. - Grandad

GA_Boater

This one here has the front engine mount, but yah, I'd definitely be building a new one of those while you are at it:watermelon:

I get confused real easy. :embarassed: I was thinking a 4.3 with side mounts. Nate's is half the work. Grandad makes a good point about motor oil as a natural wood preservative, too. :)

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The front motor mount wood looks easy enough to replace. I guess I just have to get a piece of wood of the same dimensions, and put it in the same exact spot. I wonder how they measured/centered that front mount originally at the factory.

Grandad, I had to read your message twice, but I get it now. Those Z bracket pieces that are near the perimeter of the transom will determine the initial thickness, then I'll have to add the horse collar.

Is there any oder in taking things off the transom? does it matter? It looks like I just do things in opposite order of how the manual says to install.

GA_Boater

First pull the outdrive to get the yoke out of the coupler, next the motor and finally the rest of the transom parts. Might be a little more, but that's basically it.

You may not want to know how they measured/centered that front mount originally at the factory. My tinny has a lot of "close enough" parts riveted on.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

man, that's one sweet boat right there!!! Definitely one worth the effort in restoring!!!!

one small problem, where are the kids going to swing? :lol:

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where are the kids going to swing? :lol:

I know, I have to take down three swings before each engine hoist operation. I was worried the neighbors would think I'm a redneck, but I think they are even more redneck, so who are they to talk.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I'm still taking things apart at the transom. At times I'm not sure I have any business trying to do this repair. On the other hand I don't have much to lose, just time and the money I spend on parts and tools. I'm a bit confused how it will all work out, but it will probably make more sense as I see how everything fits together. I'm a little concerned that I'm going to screw up by taking more apart than I need to. I have been trying to read the manual; sometimes it helps, sometimes it is more confusing. I guess I will just take lots of pics and proceed with caution. I am assuming the gimbal housing needs to come off so I can put new bellows on; what kind of tool do I use to remove the hinge pins?

GA_Boater

One of the nice things about this place is no matter what you want to, someone has done it already. And bonus pix many time. Hope all goes well with making room to pull the transom. May no bolts be seized. :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

GA is so right, the Merc forum should be your new favorite hang out while you are pulling apart and putting back together that ol engine.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I got the transom pretty well disassembled now. I tried to take a lot of pics in an effort to help with putting it back together. That wood was very rotted.
boat transom 026.jpgboat transom 029.jpg

GA_Boater

You're getting into it, Nate. Not much left of the transom bottom. I think you found your leak.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This was probably the wrong way to do it, but I took the outside section off in one piece. Time will tell it this method will make the repair harder.
boat transom 024.jpgboat transom 025.jpg