1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

Yeah, exactly two YEARS ago I took my boat to a painter for a rough quote and some ideas. I told him then I should have it to him in two WEEKS. It's being painted this week. Stuff takes time and patience and sometimes a break.

You'll get there!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Okay, so I took the outdrive off. I know it sounds simple, but it was a first for me. I was thinking I would take the outdrive off and that would make it easier to replace the water pump impellar, and maybe check my alignment (once I get an alignment tool). The overheating I had when I took the boat out for the first time ever last week was a huge disappointment. I thought the impellar would be a good place to start with the overheating problem. Anyway, I found this chunk of black (soot covered) hard plastic in the outdrive. It was in the large area that I assume the exhaust goes through. I don't know what this piece of plastic is, so if you have an idea please let me know. It was kind of brittle, and looks to have broken off from somewhere. Keep in mind I have not separated the upper and lower units of the outdrive. Also, from what I can tell from research this is a pre-alpha outdrive. I was wondering how to tell further what exactly the type of outdrive? Aren't there different pre-alpha's? Here's the number, I'm assuming serial number that is stamped into it: B 3328239. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• outdrive 001.jpg
    outdrive 001.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • outdrive 002.jpg
    outdrive 002.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • outdrive 006.jpg
    outdrive 006.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anybody have any ideas on what that broken piece might be?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not an I/O guy, but I think some have an exhaust flapper to prevent water from backing up the exhaust into the motor when say launching.......

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys have all the answers, thanks. It is amazing what you can learn on iboats. Now the question is, "Do I replace the exhaust shutter, or not worry about it?" I have read that some people do not replace this part, and they don't have problems.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I prolly would, it certainly serves a purpose eh.

jbcurt00

Staff member

+1 for replacing it

At least once every 40yrs +/-, whether I need to or not, I like to replace my exhaust flapper & I don't even own an I/O
yikes.gif
duh.gif

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I still have the Nova. I guess I figured what's the point of selling it, I wouldn't get much for it. Actually I had it for sale on craigslist for a little while, but no takers. About a week ago I started working on replacing the impeller. http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ves/outdrive-shift-shaft-position-597925.html I had a little trouble, but I think it is back together good now. I even built a pressure tester and did the test; it passed! So that was a bit of success, which was nice. I ordered an alignment tool off ebay, and got it today in the mail. That's were the happiness ended. I checked the alignment, and it was very off. The spline marks where very distinct on the top of the alignment tool, and very light or nonexistent on the bottom of the tool. I then tried to move the front of the engine down by adjusting the front engine mount. I moved a little at a time with no improvement. Eventually I ran out threads on the bolt to adjust the engine down. I then took at going the other direction, assuming maybe i should have been moving the front of the engine up. I adjusted it up until I couldn't anymore. None of this helped, the spline marks still look the same. My guess is that all of this has to do with my rotted transom. I had hoped I could deal with that after getting the boat in the water, but looks like I might be very wrong. I'll post some pics shortly. Thanks.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suck, can somebody give me the link on how to include pics within a post? I did it before, but cannot remember now. Thanks.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Nate, good to see you pop up again!

Yah man, from what I remember seeing when I stopped by your place, that transom was a gonner. It's boarder line safety issue my friend.

Time for a new one, front engine support too.

Too bad too, with the water up as high as it is the Tittabawassee should be about to your front door eh?

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Jas,

I don't know why it seems so out of wack. Maybe the back engine mounts settle, and now the front cannot be adjusted low enough. What's wrong with my front engine support? Do you mean the wood underneath it?

You are right about the Tibb, I don't know why anybody would want to live right next to that river.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

starcraft 002.jpgstarcraft 004.jpgstarcraft 006.jpg

I wasn't sure if those pics would post, but looks like it worked. See how close the top of the bolt is to the pulley, doesn't seem right. The other pic shows my redneck attempt to stiffin up the transom.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey wait, is that new wood back there? Looks new, what did I miss?

Edit: We were posting at them same time...

" The other pic shows my redneck attempt to stiffin up the transom."

Yah, I can't think anything will be straight till you rebuild that transom and front engine support mount, knowhattamean.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried to fix the weak transom by putting some plywood over the old stuff. It is kind of in a upside down U shape so as not to interfer with anything. It did make the transom feel much more solid, but I don't think it really worked overall.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nate - earlier you said that when you took the boat out water was coming in through the transom. I'm guessing without seeing it in person, that the weak wood has let the rear of the motor and all attached to settle. That's why you can't lower the front enough for alignment. I'm afraid you have a transom replacement in your future. Sorry.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts. So where is the reference that shows me the right dimensions to make the transom plywood, thickness, bolt pattern, etc.? I didn't see it in the manual (mercruiser #1), but maybe I just need to look harder.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think it's 2 to 2 1/8" think and it is a critical thickness. The bolt pattern is already in the transom skin. I think Mercury has a template. You might post in the Mercruiser section where the smart real experienced M/C guys are. And maybe Jason will be back cuz he did it on the Islander.