1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Port side glassed in2.jpgtabbed in port side2.jpgport cutout.jpgboat.jpg Recently purchased 1985 Ciera 2450 Sunbridge, Restore underway!
Just wanted to say hello to everyone.
Recently purchased this beauty! I've started restoration in the engine bay....decks on either side of engine were rotting...I've torn out port side and replaced with 1/2" MG ply, tabbed with 1708 biaxial cloth, finished off with a layer of mat/cloth/mat and finally cloth. Began on Starboard side today...got old removed and most of the old ground out. Cut template and new plywood to fit, coated underside with resin and mat.....will install tomorrow. The engine is AQ225d w/ 280 drive. Carb needs replaced as it's automotive...along with distributor cap....
She's in pretty good shape for her age...transom solid, stringers solid, interior faded and stained in spots but may be restorable...topside seating will need replacing as well. I'm thinking of a redesign of the layout as the L config. it had (torn out a few days ago/ripped vinyl and broken seating) takes up all the space available. Wiring will need attention. I'll also have some questions concerning the drive when I get to that point...I restored my trihull runabout with the help of Iboats forums, hours and hours reading and learning.....the advice and knowledge here is awesome! The hull extension thread by Oops is amazing!

Again....Hello to everyone =)

Last edited:

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Gotta love an old Bayliner.

Lets see some more pictures!!!!!!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

What he said PICS PICS PICS. Sorry Baylinner nut here

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll get some more pics up soon!!!
Working on starboard side decking in engine bay today....hopefully have completely glassed in before the day is out...
I've got a question:
This engine has mercruiser mans/risers/thermostat housing installed. I've removed them for inspection and they are nearly NEW!
I realize these are not the OEM, however, would they be safe to use? the engine ran great with no cooling issues with them installed.
Anyone foresee any problems using these?
Thanks..pics coming.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Removed rotted rear seating...it mounts on the stern and flips up with little poles....any ideas for a better set up...I'd like them to fold down, but those poles are a pain. Also, got the starboard side engine bay decking cut sanded and backside coated with thinned resin, then a layer of mat. I'll glue it in with PL premium later today, tomorrow tab in place and cover with mat/cloth/mat/cloth. The old seat base was only 1/2" ply and it flexed a good bit when two people sat on it, so I doubled it up and glued together Two 1/2" pieces of ply. Maybe sew the new covers today, using old ones as a pattern. My new batteries made excellent "clamps" lol
boat2.jpgold stern seat base, rotted..jpgstern seating base.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello all! I got the new seat base all sanded and mounts drilled and installed on it and a layer of thinned resin to help seal the wood. The thicker seat base will provide more than enough strength!!! that puppy is solid! Waiting for some blue vinyl material for the new covers. It will be gray with Two wide navy blue stripes. I have the original seat foam laying in the hot sun drying out....I plan to reuse it. Seating in the cockpit area will be done in the same fashion. Did some odds and ends also this morning......Replaced a rigged up fuel line...replaced a pieced together heater hose....drank a beer. =)
Tuesday I should have my 1708 cloth in so i can tab the starboard side engine bay deck. I have the cloth and mat and resin...just need that!
Then sand the whole engine bay/bilge down and paint.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

stern seat base polyurethaned.jpgstarboard engine bay deck glassed in.jpgHello all...
Finally able to glass in starboard engine bay deck. tabbed with 1708 all around and then a later of mat and cloth over top of it. (the white spots aren't dry....its my sweat drips)lol

Also, got the seat base for the stern seating polyurethaned. The original wood was not treated with anything. It will be covered with foam/vinyl.....ya think polyurethane (helmsman) would be sufficient protection? It is MG plywood.

Hope to get engine bay all sanded and cleaned out to be ready for paint tonight. Doubt i'll get to that painting as it's supposed to T-storm heavily tonight.
Hope everyone had a great monday!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I always coat my seat wood with resin. Makes fastening a pain but never had one rot out yet.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finally got first coat of paint on engine bay decks!!! Plan for three coats.
port side engine decking painted.jpgstarboard engine decking painted.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh! also got the new manifold and riser gaskets today!!!! which of course were the wrong one's. Being as I ordered them for volvo penta set up and I have the darn merc manifold/risers. Manifold gasket will work but I've already reordered the new riser gaskets. I wanna go out on her this weekend! Then likely begin on redoing the helm area, guage panel (it's cracked), I think I'm going to avoid the orignial L seat that was installed. I've already ripped out the old set up...the vinyl was stained and faded beyond restoring...the wood underneath wasn't much better...most was pretty solid, but the areas around the bottom of it were beginning to rot.

Should I use some sealant on the manifold gaskets? I've been told some aviation rtv stuff...others say to use nothing, just the gasket....Opinions?

Also I asked today and I guess O'reilly auto parts can supply marine distributor caps...anyone get one there before? the guy said he'd have to order it but that he could get it....cheaper than many other places I've checked.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

any opinions on sealant for manifold gasket?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not much to report, got second coat of paint in engine bay done. Picked up the blue vinyl for the stripes on the seats...hopefully sew those up tomorrow. Maybe hit the lake this weekend.....maybe

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No pics today....got 3 batteries installed with a selector switch. 2 large deep cycles for house power, 1 optima for starting. Putting all the wiring and such back in order in the engine bay.....riser gaskets should be in tomorrow
I'll get some pics up after I get the mans/risers back installed. Hopefully be able to go out this weekend!
1 question:
I have two guage running from starter to the switch...then I put 4 guage to each battery and 4 guage linking the two house batteries together.
Is 4 guage enough?
Thanks

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for all the help...lol

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tonight I got the mans/risers back on the engine. Replaced plugs and wires and finished up wiring the batteries. Fired her up for a bit on the muffs! Running smooth....storming here tonight, maybe hit the lake tomorrow.
Started working on the new seat covers...got patterns cut out and started sewing and ran out of thread shortly after. Pick some up tomorrow.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

boat at the dock.jpgdylans catfish.jpg

spent the night at the lake! boat ran great! Now back to working on her....gotta finish up the seating and button up some wiring.....add an inverter.....etc....etc...
The boy caught a catfish!

Bsquared

Seaman Apprentice

I would STRONGLY advise against runing that Optima battery in parallel with your house batteries. As long as your battery switch is on 1 OR 2 you should be OK, but I defnitely would not put it on both at once. AGMs and "wet" lead acids do not have the same charging characteristics.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks Bsquared, I only run one bank at a time....I read on here that the "gel" and "deep cycles" are not compatible as you said. The Optima acts only as a starting battery. then i switch to the deep cycles for everything else. MBSS never is set to "all"

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Started working on the seat cover for the stern seating tonight....already finished up the seat base. I need to double stitch all the seems yet but its looking pretty good! In the photo it is just laying over the cushion...it will be wrapped around and stapled underneath with Monel Staples. The other photo are my tools for the evening. I ran out of thread just as I finished up the corners. Gotta run to store and pick up more...double stitch the seams and wrap and staple to the underside.....Any tips for plastic to wrap over the foam???? the original had a very thin plastic layed over the foam. Suggestions?

]90287[/ATTACHsewing machine.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1

Friscoboater

Captain

At least you get to play at the lake while you are working on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.