1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It will, I assure you. Based on this pic if you look over to @4 oclock that stuff is NOT attached to anything. I know grinding blows but I call it getting it to the pink. If you wet it out with a wet rag the glass appears pink.
So hey......anyone else have feedback so we can confirm or deny?
Just a lot of bad stuff to bond to. The new stuff will pull off of that like a band aid.
Hey it's just me and my opinions. I'm sure lots of people just go for it.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree! Just worried about grinding through. It’s really crappy in that area.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I’ll keep grinding there. Going to do the outside gelcoat anyways on the transom. If I go through not he end of the world. Having a beer and going back it now.

tpenfield

Staff member
That area was not rolled out at the factory, so it is just loose chopper gun spray. Not much you can do. I would not keep grinding into it though . . . before you know it, you'll be into the gelcoat :eek:

Just patch those areas as best you can to make even with the rest of the transom.

BTW - I think as far as straight and true, you probably need that around the outdrive transom assembly, but beyond that, not as crucial. I would use a 2 ft level as an indicator, rather than a board. Use a micrometer around the outdrive opening to make sure you have the same thickness all around and then true outward a bit from there.

Got any installation manual references for the outdrive?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you tpenfield! I’m going to try digging a little more but will stop before going through. This section is outward where it used to be only one layer of core. I’m doubling up out to here.

I also have have all the manuals for my drive. It’s an AQ280 Volvo so the thickness isn’t crucial like with a merc. The Volvo has no inner shield.

zool

Captain
I would just frost that area with pb just before setting the transom. Also, with your Aq drive train, parallelism isnt as crucial as with a Merc, since there is no inner shield and the engine is cantilevered.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Would there be any benefit to PB he area, sand/grind smooth and then stick the core? If I can get away with just more PB in that area while troweling on and sticking the core, I’m good with that. Less work. I’m thinking a roughly 4” wide x 4” tall transom is t gonna make much difference if a small section isn’t bonded 100%... am I wrong?

zool

Captain
As long as u use enough pb so no dry spots, there is no need to pre finish that area.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
While on my beer “break”.. I pressure washed and scrubbed the fresh water tank. I’ll fill her up with bleach water and let it sit. Had to accomplish something for motivation. The grinding wears on ya...

i tell you, that cheap eBay pressure washer has been amazing. I’ve used the s h eye tee out of it.

ECC3CAD1-122C-4BEE-B22D-647F9315C73C by Ciera 2450, on Flickr

06E7BA41-397F-4E56-A928-0C390B3CBAE7 by Ciera 2450, on Flickr

i suppose it’s all progress. Even if a little.

chevymaher

Commander
Yes it is all progress. I remember cleaning solenoids and connections for the trim. Didn't seem like i got alot done those days. But it works right and does not leak anymore. So it was worth it.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ugh.... I’m done for the day. 6 hours or so of grinding, cleaning, drinking. I’m whooped. Stopped by several places looking for decent plywood and I may have to deal with what I can get. Went to the yard directly across from the lumber mill and the dude said they have bcx and it doesn’t have any voids. Don’t think I believe that... maybe I should mosey over to the actual mill and see if they will sell to me.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I’m sure my neighbors aren’t happy. Been grinding on and off all day. I’ll vacuum up tomorrow and check it all out but I should be near done. For now. I know there’s always little bits to get.

Still working on on finding decent ply but I’ll just get what’s available. I’ll be doing enough glass and sealing of it that it shouldn’t matter much. When I did my little tri hull years ago, Lowe’s had arauco 3/4” and that stuff was great. Can’t find it now at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Apparently, even the freaking lumber mill in town can’t get me abx.

chevymaher

Commander
I went through the wood thing to. I was doing what you did calling the mills. I finally got mine at lowes. I made them pull all of it off the top. I lifted every sheet them had of the best grade. I found good wood it just took all day moving it from pallet to pallet.

I know 2 of my neighbors were happy that boat was done. The girl behind me said "Finally huh" LOL. She is a good neighbor we watch each others house. She texted one morning. Someone is at the boat. I said it is me thx. It was like 4 am I was starting.

Congrats tho it is so nice to be done grinding.

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm not that particular on the grade of plywood . . . as long as it is APA Exterior rated

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks guys! I’ll likely just grab what’s at Lowe’s. Looked today and it’s not horrible. However, we had a pop up storm that was pretty crazy wind and rain. I’ll pick the wood up when dry out. :joyous: I did grab titebond iii for the laminations.

Also, glass supplies are officially ordered.

5 gallon poly resin
15yds 50” 1708
10yds 50” 1.5oz csm
4 gallon thing cabosil
4lb 1/4” chopped strand
bubble roller, buckets, etc

I will probably need more resin but this will get me started with fuel tank deck, bulkhead, transom. Probably have extra glass too that’ll be used as a start for the swim platform build.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
During all this work, I ordered the proper AQ series Volvo manifolds and risers for the engine. It previously had “aqua power” brand manifold and riser made for a merc and the exhaust hose connection was rigged up with a reducer deal and some hose to the y pipe. Anyone need some merc mani/risers? Lol

Does anyone know what length of exhaust hose I need to order?

I see they come in many many lengths. They aren’t cheap so I don’t want to order wrong or too long and waste money. The engine and y pipe aren’t back in the boat for me to measure but I’d like to have them here and ready when the time comes.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look up 95mm high temp 4 ply nomex turbo hose, a 3' stick will be about $80, where the two exhause hoses from Volvo are about $50. Each hose is about 7" long

Status
Not open for further replies.