1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I have the same boat and doing to same thing!

This morning I removed the broken shift cable. Simple job really. Just thread it thru all the cable clamps (had to undo a few) and pull the cable out.
Browsing online now to order a new one.

As for the upholstery in cockpit area.....I will live with what I've made for a short while but NOT for long!!!
I suck at sewing and can't make it look professional. So, as much as I hate to do it....I will pay a professional to do this upholstery.
A patient of mine has an upholstery shop and is coming by later to measure things out and give me a rough estimate.

For some reason my "to do" list on the boat keeps getting longer and NOT shorter. It seems the more things I do, the more stuff I find to do.
The joy of boat ownership. lol

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

New shift cable ordered. Cheaper than i thought. That's always nice!

While I was bored and hopped up on too much coffee this morning, I removed the garboard plug for a reseal.
There was sealant globbed on there and it looked terrible, I also was getting a tiny tiny leak into the bilge which I believe the garboard drain was the culprit.
To my surprise, the inside of the hole is solid and the screw holes didn't leak any water when removed. (on my last boat, every transom screw leaked black ooze it was so rotten)

It appears there is a pvc tube running from the bilge into the garboard drain....
Should there be some type of sealant between this tube and the garboard drain fitting itself? I would think water could easily wick up the transom thru the joint here.
Any advice?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

any advice for sealing up the garboard drain fitting?
See above post for explanation.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

New shift cable should be here tomorrow or thursday.
I sealed up the garboard drain with 3M 5200.
I don't plan on removing it anytime soon and I have a chisel if it HAS to be removed.lol
I coated the inside of the hole with a thin layer and then the back of the garboard drain itself and tightened screws down enough to squeeze a bit out...I'll let it set a few hours and then crank it down snug.

I have this weird desire to do some fiberglass work....it's addicting to me????
maybe I need a better respirator.:D

Been reading threads on making molds......I'm thinking of some speaker pods and perhaps a television "pod" for up in the v-berth.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

New shift cable came today....finally!
Man...what a difference it makes. I haven't even had the boat out on the water yet, but the difference in the feel at the shift lever is night and day. It shifts so smooth now, both forward and reverse.
Only took about 30 minutes to get installed and adjusted.

Hope to get the swim platform removed this weekend for some repair.
Has anyone used the "plastic weld" type products for repairing cracks? Any tips?

Previously I posted some pics of the cracks, I can post again if needed.
I plan to remove the platform, repair the cracks, reseal and install backing plates on the mounting brackets. (there were NO backing plates, only small washers)
There are spots where the washers have crushed/compressed the fiberglass beneath them. I don't like it and am going to reinforce it with backing plates for the brackets. Bolts and holes will be sealed up with 5200.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't worry mate, i don't get many replies either :)

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lol, thanks digitizedsoul. I figure I'm at least keeping track of the work done to the boat by posting here. Even if I don't get many responses to my questions.
Happy Boating.:)

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Its really coming along well, hope there's plans for more pics soon :D

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks JBF, I'll have some pics of the swimplatform removal and, (hopefully) its repair coming up this weekend.
Haven't been really doing anything picture worthy. I could get a shot of my shiny new shift cable. Lol

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Few things are sweeter than a fresh shift cable :p
Swimplatforms are definately fun jobs, constructed a fine mahogany one for my last boat.
Is yours that 3 piece design a lot of '80 Bayliners had?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Certainly is the 3 piece design. The starboard side near the ladder is cracked almost completely through in two spots. Other cracks are beginning to form in several other areas. I'm unsure yet of how to address these cracks. Was thinking of a 'plastic weld' type product? Any advice?

Got any pictures of the one you built? I'd like to check it out. The wood swim platforms are sharp looking! If mine is unsalvageable, I'll explore that option.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

swim platform.jpg

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

enjoying the waters of Bobcaygeon.JPGB - 003 (2).jpgA - 008.jpgA - 009.jpgB - mounting 3.jpgYeah, I think that I would go with the wood rather than repasting the old plastic one, then you could make it a bit bigger, nice to be able to walk around on them.
As it happens, I do have some pics of the construction

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks man! I'm seriously considering that option now. I would like to extend it just a bit.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

JBF, that looks great! What did you finish it with? Did it hold up well?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you liked it, I used Cetol, its awesome stuff, my uncle got me into it a number of years ago, he used it on his wooden 35' 1966 Chris Craft and swore by it. Wears like nails. I've got it on the teak throughout my Doral. You'll love it :)

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I've got the swim platform removed.
I have decided to mend this platform for the time being. A shiny new mahogany one(like jbf's) will come eventually. I just don't have the finances and my wife is losing patience with my "boat spending".

I'm still debating how to best repair these cracks. There are several cracks most roughly 2" in length. I've posted pics before of the cracks.

I'm leaning toward a plastic "weld" product? Anyone have advice?
Can I use mat/cloth and resin to repair them? (i think the platform is some type of plastic and NOT fiberglass)

I did find a new ladder step on great lakes skipper.com for $25! Sweet.....It's an exact replacement for my cracked swim step. :)

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Well, the mahogany platform will always be there as a good winter project one day, I fixed a buddies plastic Bayliner platform like yours 4 or 5 years ago with automotive short strand fiberglass and its still holding up (he just wanted it to last the season....lol) Like so many other things, proper prepping is critical

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks again JBF!
How about paint? What would be best?
All of the cracks are underneath the platform so you don't see them, however while the platform is removed...It wouldn't hurt to paint it.
I've cleaned it up fairly well using the pressure washer.
Any advice on paint to use?

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That was an enjoyable read. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.